PDA

View Full Version : Buyin wood in STL

Gary Herrmann
09-11-2005, 7:14 PM
I finally made it downtown to Lumber Logs. I needed some cherry and was hoping to find some figured wood for a few upcoming projects - side table and a few jewellry and presentation boxes.

I wound up with some 4/4 cherry with some nice figure in it (missed the curly by a couple weeks, dangit), as well as regular (non-figured or whatever the appropriate term is) 5/4 and 8/4.

Also found a very nice ambrosia maple board for box tops. SWMVO is still trying to determine if that should be the table top.

Tom was very helpful and knowledgeable - had some planes right at hand to check figure. Altho, when I got out of my truck and introduced myself, he said "the Gary Herrmann?" I hate it when people are funnier than me. ;)

I also saw some amazing 19" wide cherry boards. And he showed me some awesome qsawn white oak that I'll keep in mind for that toobox I want to build.

All in all, a very pleasant and productive way to spend a Saturday morning. So if you're in the area and find yourself needing some native hardwoods...

Joe Mioux
09-11-2005, 8:59 PM
Gary

Where is Lumber Logs located?

Address?

Thanks JOe

Jim Dunn
09-11-2005, 9:57 PM
I too purchased wood from Tom. And I also had a real nice time of it as well.

Mark Stutz
09-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Gary,
I got some from him some time ago, not long after he started out. Didn't have his kiln up yet and everything was outside. Is he still up off of I-70?
Mark

Keith Cope
09-12-2005, 9:00 AM
I've visited Tom as well--Lumber Logs is a great resource for our area. Also keeps a lot of great wood out of the landfill!

Keith

Gary Herrmann
09-12-2005, 11:18 AM
I believe the address is 5418 Brown. Near I70 and Kingshighway. Heres the woodfinder link for them:

http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Calvin Hobbs
09-12-2005, 3:25 PM
I tried to go there with my son and Father in law last weekend but we didn't have time, plus he was skeptical about the neighborhood.

We ended up trying out Hibdon hardwoods near the Landing - a great selection of mahogany. It was great to find as I am in Springfield now and haven't had any success finding anything good around here, especially in wide boards.

Cal

Tom Sontag
09-12-2005, 7:16 PM
Thanks Gary for the nice note. It was nice to meet you. You bought nice enough wood that I have no doubt we ALL will be seeing some project pics soon, eh?

Our address is 5148 Brown Ave 63115.

We have been at this location for just over a year now. My books say we've got 22,000 bf of domestic hardwoods, but some of it is drying and some of it is fictitious. It turns out that if you pay a sawyer to saw 1000bf, your books show 1000bf. But after it shrinks and dries, you only have 900bf to sell! Still ironing out the accounting for that.....

Cal, You need to call ahead to make sure we will be there. The neighborhood is no better or worse than Hibdon's during the day - they are both urban industrial.

Calvin Hobbs
09-13-2005, 8:18 AM
Tom,

I definitely will give you a shout the next time I get a chance. My inlaws are a little protective especially when their grandkids are involved.

Do you ever have any wide (10"+) walnut in stock? I build 18th century repros so I am partial to mahogany and walnut, but also use maple and cherry when appropriate. Also poplar or SYP for secondary wood.

I look forward to checking your operation out.

Cal

Tom Sontag
09-13-2005, 8:11 PM
We tend to be slightly picked over on the best dry walnut at this time since we have a wholesale account that regularly takes quantities of the best stuff. However, we just sawed up a few hundred bf of walnut and there were some awesome 18"+ wide boards with crotch figuring etc. They were 4-5' long IIRC. So there is something to look at although it is not dry now. Give me a call well before you are in town and I can let you know what we have.