PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here used the BenchCrafted Classic leg vice with the criss cross support?

Justin Pfenning
02-10-2016, 12:56 PM
I think I need a leg vice on the bench I'm preparing to build. No doubt it's expensive, but it looks like a sweet vice. Anyone on here have any real world experience with one? Do they operate as smooth as the website would lead me to believe? Do they hold as well as they appear to? Installation looks pretty straight forward. Give me the good, bad, and ugly on it. Thanks.

Justin

Megan Fitzpatrick
02-10-2016, 1:47 PM
I have an original-version Glide on mine (with a parallel guide) and it remains as smooth as silk after 6 years and several moves (although I did need to realign things and clean out some sawdust after my last move). After then seeing the Crisscross in action on someone else's bench, I was going to retrofit the same into the leg vice on my bench...but my legs are to short (both mine and the bench legs, I guess!).

Clint Baxter
02-11-2016, 6:48 AM
I built mine with the the BC hardware and have been very happy with its performance. Can view it here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?235562-Workbench-is-finally-completed!&highlight=).

it works so smoothly you can spin the vise handle to close or open the vise. It pretty much "glides" open and closed.

Pricey, but I feel well worth the investment.

Clint

Chris Hachet
02-11-2016, 7:33 AM
I built mine with the the BC hardware and have been very happy with its performance. Can view it here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?235562-Workbench-is-finally-completed!&highlight=).

it works so smoothly you can spin the vise handle to close or open the vise. It pretty much "glides" open and closed.

Clint

Putting one on the bench I am slowly finishing. Pricey, but well worth it. Takes a minute to find the sweet spot to get it to glide perfectly, but when you do, it works very, very well.

That being said, this is my secondary, smaller bench that I am building. When I replace the main bench, I am thinking seriously of the Lake Erie tools wooden screw.

Justin Pfenning
02-11-2016, 9:14 AM

Clint

Clint, that bench is an absolute beauty! Very nice work. Thanks for the vote of confidence on the BC product.

Justin

Erik Christensen
02-11-2016, 1:21 PM
i have that vice for about 3 years - use the heck out of it - it works just as well as advertised.

expensive but worth every dang penny - i really like buying US made but refuse to do so blindly - it has to be as good as anything out there and the BC products I have all meet that criterea

Justin Pfenning
02-11-2016, 3:56 PM
i have that vice for about 3 years - use the heck out of it - it works just as well as advertised.

expensive but worth every dang penny - i really like buying US made but refuse to do so blindly - it has to be as good as anything out there and the BC products I have all meet that criterea

I agree 100%. I'm glad to hear the glowing reviews. Thank you.

Justin

Phil Stone
02-11-2016, 4:15 PM
I have the Criss Cross combined with a Lee Valley screw on my recently-completed workbench. Works great. Worth the money for it's hassle-free, accurate operation.

Chris Hachet
02-12-2016, 8:54 AM
I have the Criss Cross combined with a Lee Valley screw on my recently-completed workbench. Works great. Worth the money for it's hassle-free, accurate operation.

This would make an excellent economy version of this....there is absolutely nothing wrong with the lee valley screw at all.

clarke edgar
02-12-2016, 10:57 AM
You are referring to the "Tail-Vise Screw" that Lee Valley sells for $37.50?

Phil Stone
02-12-2016, 11:32 AM
That's the one.