PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Powermatic 65?

Dick Brown
02-10-2016, 10:59 AM
Found a Powermatic 65, 1-1/2 h.p. motor on CL for $620. Looks very clean and well kept. Biggest problem, it is 250 miles away and I hate to make the drive if the 65 is not a well thought of saw. What's your opinion? I sure don't "NEED" another t.s. but always had the heartburn for a PM.
Dick

Matt Day
02-10-2016, 12:56 PM
I'm restoring one right now. It's basically a 66 with a different trunnion layout.

Is the 65 single phase? Two extension wings or a large stamped steel extension? What fence?

That all determines if it's a good price or not.

Dave Cav
02-10-2016, 2:05 PM
The PM 65 and 66 are functionally identical. There are some differences in the trunnion mounting castings, but they are minor and do not have any effect on how the saw operates. Many of the parts are interchangeable. I have an early 60's 65 I restored a few years ago and it's a keeper despite the fact that I have a later model 66 in storage that I'm going to restore and then sell.

Brian Henderson
02-10-2016, 6:22 PM
I've got a 66, but I have friends with 65s and I've used them. As others have said, they are virtually identical with a little difference in the trunnions. Of course, whether it is worth the cost is in the details, look at the fence, the wings, the power, the overall condition, etc. Ultimately, it's up to you whether the saw is worth it to you. A well maintained 65 will give you many years of quality cuts.

Matt Lackey
02-13-2016, 11:24 PM
On the 65 there is no place for a splitter. If you grab an off cut with no splitter and hit the back of the blade with your thumb...

I I use splitters and blade guards... Now.

Brian Henderson
02-14-2016, 1:38 PM
On the 65 there is no place for a splitter. If you grab an off cut with no splitter and hit the back of the blade with your thumb...

I I use splitters and blade guards... Now.

It's not that hard to make a zero-clearance insert with an integral splitter. And if you're reaching over a spinning blade with no guard, you're an idiot to begin with.

ken carroll
02-15-2016, 11:48 AM
$620 sounds a little high to me. Especially with that kind of drive....... If it's in excellent condition, with motor cover and dust door intact AND a Bies or similar fence AND single phase then it's a fair price, otherwise it's high. I have a 3ph5HP PM66 with Bies, motor cover and dustdoor which I would be ecstatic to get $620 for.

Matt Day
02-15-2016, 12:31 PM
I don't know why the OP has not posted again. We can't help much without more information.

Dick Brown
02-15-2016, 3:13 PM
Well, called the man and talked to him. Sounded like it was in great shape. Told him the price sounded o.k. if it were here but would come look if it were $500. as it would be a 400-500 mile trip. Said he would get back to me in a week or so, whether he sold it or not which I thought was good of him. I gave it some more thought and decided at 81 years old, I should be thinking of selling one of the saws that I have (Clausing cabinet saw with a Biesemeyer fence, Craftsman 103-27270 Floor saw w/ Biese. Home Shop clone) rather than buying more. Called him back and told him I wouldn't be interested anymore. Didn't feel bad as he hadn't called to say he would take my price. I am sure he didn't miss any sales because of me changing my mind. Very nice guy.

Patrick Curry
02-16-2016, 8:39 AM
Just serves as a reminder the local supply sets the prices. If you posted your PM here in Louisville I'd be surprised if it lasted 2 days. (3 phase or not)