PDA

View Full Version : A Different Take on Weed Pots

Barry McFadden
02-10-2016, 10:49 AM
I thought I would use up some scraps in the workshop and turn these weedpots for hanging on a wall. I've made many weedpots that sit on a counter or mantle so I decided to try something a little different.

The 4th picture still has the foot attached to show how I hold them on the lathe and the last picture shows what I use to hang them on the wall...

John King
02-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Pretty cool stuff. After you part weed pot from tenon, how do you mount/hold the weed pot to finish the back? - John

Barry McFadden
02-10-2016, 2:37 PM
Pretty cool stuff. After you part weed pot from tenon, how do you mount/hold the weed pot to finish the back? - John

Thanks John.. First I use the parting tool to cut into the tenon, leaving about 1" dia. then cut it off on the band saw. Then I use my Jumbo Jaws to hold the weedpot while I turn off the rest of the tenon. I had to raise the rubber stoppers up with washers to get them high enough to hold the piece firmly. I usually use all 8 stoppers but I only have 4 screws long enough to accommodate the extra length with the washers..so far..it works well..then I sand it and apply WOP to the unfinished area....I'm surprised at how well it blends in with the already finished part of the back..

Tom Albrecht
02-10-2016, 8:53 PM
I like the idea of using up scraps, and you've turned out some fine work and come up with a great new "weed pot".

Would you be offended if I offered a critique? I can do so off line if you choose.

Doug Ladendorf
02-10-2016, 9:01 PM
Interesting take Barry. I like these.

Doug

Barry McFadden
02-10-2016, 10:37 PM
Thanks Tom and Doug.... and by all means Tom...fire away!!..your critique is more than welcome... might even be something I've already beat myself for :D

John K Jordan
02-10-2016, 10:55 PM
Nice. These might look great with feathers. (I have peacocks and collect a lot of feathers!)

JKJ

Glenn Barber
02-10-2016, 11:01 PM
Really nice work Barry. Thinking outside the box, and re-cycling too. How do you drill the "weed hole"? While it is square prior to turning?

Glenn

Jim Maxwell
02-11-2016, 6:26 AM
That is a new twist on an old theme... nice

Jim

Barry McFadden
02-11-2016, 8:46 AM
Thanks John, Jim and Glenn.... I rough cut the circle on the bandsaw then drill the hole before I start turning it....

Tom Albrecht
02-11-2016, 8:47 AM
Thanks Tom and Doug.... and by all means Tom...fire away!!..your critique is more than welcome... might even be something I've already beat myself for :D

Again, I really like the idea of a wall hanging, who says the weeds have to sit on the mantle? And the idea of using a disk as a vessel is clever. I'd like to see more than one weed hole, perhaps several, or a whole bunch all in the same vertical direction.

Thanks for sharing.
TA

David Delo
02-11-2016, 9:06 AM
The 3rd picture of what I'd believe to be maple with the walnut band is a really sharp piece. Like everyone else said, clever idea thinking outside the box using materials already on hand.

Barry McFadden
02-11-2016, 9:53 AM
Again, I really like the idea of a wall hanging, who says the weeds have to sit on the mantle? And the idea of using a disk as a vessel is clever. I'd like to see more than one weed hole, perhaps several, or a whole bunch all in the same vertical direction.

Thanks for sharing.
TA

Thanks for the comments...certainly could have several weed holes..I'm working on a different arrangement still using a disk and I'll post it when done...thanks again..

Barry McFadden
02-11-2016, 9:58 AM
The 3rd picture of what I'd believe to be maple with the walnut band is a really sharp piece. Like everyone else said, clever idea thinking outside the box using materials already on hand.

Thanks David....that maple one was rough lumber when I started so I couldn't see much in the way of color when I started. After turning I actually liked the back better than the front!....had I known that I would have turned it without the stripe and just used the natural color of the wood as the accent.

glenn bradley
02-11-2016, 12:37 PM
Barry, those are great and what an innovative idea. Scrap box beware!

Brian Tymchak
02-11-2016, 3:31 PM
Those are really nice Barry! In the 2nd photo, what wood did you use for the 2 red-ish bands in the middle? Is that padauk or mahogany,, or something else? Really like the look of that under finish!

Thanks!

Barry McFadden
02-11-2016, 4:09 PM
Thanks for the comments Glenn and Brian...much appreciated...Brian...yes that wood is Padauk....

Rick Gibson
02-11-2016, 4:28 PM
Really like those Barry especially the maple one. Curious as to size and you said you made them using scraps, what are scraps?:)

Kyle Iwamoto
02-11-2016, 4:34 PM
WOW! Awesome. I was wondering what weed pots were. I was thinking they were...... Nevermind. Beautiful work! I think I'll dig up some scraps and make laminates and try that! Again, awesome work, gives me some inspiration.

Barry McFadden
02-11-2016, 8:33 PM
Thanks Rick and Kyle I appreciate you looking and commenting... Rick...they vary in size from around 5.5" to 6.5" across..... The scraps I use are any sticks of wood that are at least 1" thick and anywhere from veneer to an inch or 2 wide and 5" plus long that are left over from making cutting boards or pieces of hardwood like the Maple one that are around 5 or 6 inches square that I really can't use for anything else. I've used a lot of scraps for fridge magnets as well but I think I'm out of room on the fridge!!

Rick Gibson
02-12-2016, 9:14 AM
Thanks Barry I kind of figured they would be in that size range. The scraps comment was my attempt at humour. If it's an interesting piece of wood I even save pen blank cutoffs and make small board game pieces with them. Even the pieces that are to plain to be worth saving wind up wrapped in tinfoil and are used for smoking in my BBQ if they are the right kind of wood.