PDA

View Full Version : laser cutting magnetic material needed

Tim Offutt
02-10-2016, 10:18 AM
Hello,
I normally frequent the woodworking portions of the site but today I need some engraving help. We sell what are called shadow boards, the custom cut foam inserts in tool boxes where each tool has a specific place. These are routed in foam sheets.

We have a large customer that is looking for custom mylar or vinyl magnetic cutouts in the shapes of specific tools.

Think about a metal pegboard with images or outlines of individual tools (wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, etc.) below each hook so they can easily see what is missing. They currently paint on the metal pegboard but would like magnetic images so they can easily rearrange the layout as needed.

When we sell foam shadow boards we generate the tool outline using a light board where we lay out the tools and take a photo which is basically a shadow image. This is then manipulated in software to layout and arrange for the foam trays. This .bord file is what the manufacturer uses to generate the cutter path code.

I was doing some searching online and ran across custom magnetic paint stencils that are laser cut.

Any help will be appreciated,
Thanks,
Tim

Dan Hintz
02-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Magnetic sheet is a very common item (often used for making fridge magnets and the like). Be warned, however, that it's magnetic properties are quite weak... used as a rearrangeable silhouette is fine, but expecting it to hold a tool will be a disappointment.

Tim Offutt
02-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Magnetic sheet is a very common item (often used for making fridge magnets and the like). Be warned, however, that it's magnetic properties are quite weak... used as a rearrangeable silhouette is fine, but expecting it to hold a tool will be a disappointment.

Dan,
Thanks for the reply. They will not hold a tool with it. The tool is held by a hook like normal pegboard only it is steel not wood. The magnetic cut out would show what tool went there, it would only have to hold itself to the metal pegboard panel.

Tim

Bert Kemp
02-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Look for a laser engraver in your area I'm sure he could cut out these designs for you.

Paul Phillips
02-10-2016, 1:37 PM
I tried cutting some a while back, left a horrible mess of magnetic dust all over the inside of the machine, took a lot of cleaning to get it all off, I would not recommend cutting it on the laser unless it was the only way.

Bert Kemp
02-10-2016, 1:40 PM
I find that masking both sides greatly reduces the dust hardly any mess at all.

Keith Outten
02-10-2016, 3:50 PM
I keep a roll of magnetic sheet in my inventory for odd jobs that come up on occasion and I also glue it to the back of 12" scales and clipboards so they stay put when I'm using them in my shop. I also use the sheet to make custom mounts for GoPro cameras.

Tim contact Johnson's Plastics, they can provide you with magnetic sheet. It cuts easily with a sharp knife if you decide to make your own tool outlines.

http://www.johnsonplastics.com/index.html

800-869-7800

service@johnsonplastics.com

Mayo Pardo
02-10-2016, 7:09 PM
Any sign supply store will sell magnetic material on rolls and in cut sheets. There are different thicknesses available. You may want to make sure the white coating is not vinyl (PVC) since that's not good for lasers or people when vaporized. If this is a small one time job it may not be a big deal.
If you're doing lots of them, there is Lasermag from Rowmark.

If you're in a pinch and just need something right away, Home Depot also sells magnet vent covers.
These are typically smaller than the 12x24 sign mags.

Tim Offutt
02-16-2016, 2:21 PM
Thank you to everyone who replied. We think we may have found a source online to cut these patterns.

Tim

Mike Null
02-16-2016, 6:17 PM
Tim

To uncomplicate this job a bit Johnson Plastics also sells magnetic tape which can be applied to whatever material you choose to use and then fastened to your board.

http://www.johnsonplastics.biz/category/M37/1/1/1334