PDA

View Full Version : Another Euro cabinet hinge question.

Michael Weber
02-09-2016, 8:02 PM
Due to a problem encountered in my make it up as I go kitchen remodel I find myself needing a hinge that will allow an inset door to open 170 degrees or so AND clear the opening when the door is opened. I have a Blum 170 degree hinge in another application but I can't see there is a solution using it with any available bases. Anyone know if such a euro type hidden hinge/base exists. Doesn't necessarily have to be Blum. Thanks

Martin Wasner
02-09-2016, 8:05 PM
Overlay or inset?

I can't remember for certain, but I think there's a half crank and straight arm version. I've used the 170º hinge on an inset cabinet that had elliptical arched doors and nothing else would kick the door correctly to clear the arched part. I think I used a straight arm offset and a massive hinge plate.

Michael Weber
02-09-2016, 8:19 PM
Door is inset

Jamie Buxton
02-09-2016, 8:40 PM
A knuckle hinge will do that. You do see the knuckles, but it solves your other needs -- 170 degrees opening, and clearing the cabinet opening.

Martin Wasner
02-09-2016, 8:59 PM
Door is inset

Then it's just a matter of getting the right plate. The ones that mount behind the frame are fixed, but if you mount a plate to the carcass, (assuming you can), you've got a lot more options. The cast ones come in 0, 3, 6, 9, 18mm. I want to say I had a 1/4" pocket, but used a 18mm plate with a straight arm offset. I can't say for sure what I drilled them at, probably 21.5mm. I say that because I drilled the doors before I knew my normal hinge setup wasn't going to work on these particular doors.

Ken Ketcham
02-10-2016, 5:58 AM
Take a look at the Grass Tiomos 160 degree hinge (03 cranking) with a 19mm baseplate. You can get it in either 42 or 45 mm screw pattern, with either soft-close or self-close options. Doweled or screw-on. Excellent hinge.

Tom M King
02-10-2016, 7:56 AM
Check Salice hinges too if you don't find a Grass that will work. Woodworkers Supply sells them.