PDA

View Full Version : Her first pen on her own

Dick Parr
09-11-2005, 5:01 PM
Well our oldest grand daughter came to spend the weekend with us Friday and one of the things she wanted to do was spend time with grandpa in the shop. More exactly she want to learn how to use the lathe to make her own pen. Last year she helped with the finishing of a pen.

So did real good and made her own pen without any help from me, from start to finish. Well, maybe a little help putting the pen together. :rolleyes: But she did all the turning and finishing.

Thanks for looking. :D

Chris Barton
09-11-2005, 5:10 PM
Hiya Dick,

What a great way to spend time with a grandkid! My 7yo has done one pen with my help but, prefers to ply with all the scrap pieces in my shop. She and I make Barbie furniture sometimes with my scraps and I think it is one of the best ways you can spend time with a "young-un." Keep up the good work! We need more women in this hobby!

Michael Stafford
09-11-2005, 7:14 PM
Way to go Grandpa!!!! She looks like she enjoyed the experience. What a wonderful way to spend the day with your granddaughter. Most excellent! :)

Keith Burns
09-11-2005, 8:01 PM
That is sooooooooooo coooooooooool !!! Thanks for sharing. Looks like she did a great job.

Joe Tonich
09-11-2005, 9:09 PM
Cool! :D
Looks like another budding turner is in our midst.
You definitely have a way with kids, Dick. :D

Joe

Ed Lang
09-11-2005, 9:22 PM
Super! Both of you. Keep her going! Pens, bottle stoppers, bowls etc.....

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-11-2005, 9:55 PM
You're bustin' your buttons, aren't you Granpa!

Bruce

Robert Watsek
09-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Dick there is no greater feeling than to watch your children and or grandchildren grow and excel in their abilities.

Your doing a great job in guiding them............nice going .........keep it up.:cool:

Thanks for sharing with us.:)

Bob

Ernie Nyvall
09-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Looks like she did a good job on the pen. Must make you just a bit proud.
Congratulations.

Ernie

Kurt Aebi
09-12-2005, 8:03 AM
Excellent, Dick!

You oughta be a Proud Grampa, for sure! She did a real good job (of course, she had a great teacher).

I see a request for a lathe coming this Christmas!!!!!

Jeff Sudmeier
09-12-2005, 8:24 AM
Dick that is wonderful that she wanted to spend time with you in the shop! Shows that you are a great grandpa! The pen looks good too.

Mark Cothren
09-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Way to go, Dick! I appreciate you sharing that here. Congratulations!

My son helped me turn a paper towel rack/holder for my wife (aka, his mom) about a week ago - his first "turn" on the lathe. He got a kick out of it and it sure made his mom proud.

You're doing a great job with your kids and grandkids!