PDA

View Full Version : Cooling setup help

Michael Lieb
02-09-2016, 4:42 PM
New to the forum.I ordered one of the 50 watt China lasers and am looking for some advise on a few things,.
I've been reading a lot about cooling and I am still up in the air about what to do. Water or RV antifreeze?
What I would like to do is use a heater core that I have from a car,Mount a fan, Fill it with RV Antifreeze and make a closed system.
( of coarse I would have to make certain that everything was super clean)
Question What should I be looking for as far as the fan(C,F.M, how big ....)
Is the RV Antifreeze a good idea?
What kind of pump should I use and where can I find it?
Am I just Wrong even thinking this craziness?
I would also like to monitor the Fluid temp with a gauge. Again Where can I find one?
Should I have a flow gauge?
As you can probably guess I`m a bit out of the loop here. I just want to make this thing as reliable as I can with out spending a lot.
Thanks for any help.

Bert Kemp
02-09-2016, 8:57 PM
I think a lot would depend on how much your going to use it. and are you engraving or cutting and if cutting what are you cutting. These are all factors you need to know to decide on the best cooling . Most here would probably recommend a 5000 chiller they cost around 6 or 700 bucks. and if your cutting 1/4 inch plywood all day I would recommend that also. If your engraving and thats all you do you might not need that. I do a bit of both and run my 60 watt less then 5 hr at a time I just use a bucket of water with Ice jugs in it. My water stays between 58 and 65 degree's if it gets over 65 I put in a new jug of ice. waters always cool. I use distilled water with a table spoon of bleach and have no algae problems. I bought a digital heat gun to check my water temp works great

Keith Winter
02-09-2016, 10:23 PM
cw-5000 chiller should be perfect for your use case

Phill Barnes
02-10-2016, 8:13 AM
Does anyone here use an aquarium chiller to cool their tube?

Considering it myself for a efr ZS-1250 80 watt tube. Would buy cw5000 but they are not available off the shelf in Australia and china wants over 300 bucks for shipping one.
Makes it a little unaffordable.

Michael Lieb
02-10-2016, 10:02 AM
I really can`t swing buying a chiller. I guess what I`m looking for is more advise on how to build cooling system myself. I could do the Ice bucket thing I guess but would rather find a better solution as it would be kind of a pain for me to go that way. As for how much I`m going to be using it? Quite a bit I hope. I would like to start a Business eventually. Does anyone know if it`s a good idea or not using the RV antifreeze?

Bert Kemp
02-10-2016, 10:33 AM
I think people use the RV antifreeze, I don't know what the real advantage is in using it unless your working in a very cold place and need to keep it from freezing. Your idea of a radiator with a fan is not really going to cool the water more then ambient temp. if your water gets over 75 or more it will have an effect on the tubes power. If you can keep your water below 75 and below 70 would be better you should be ok. Just remember the cooler the water the better your laser will preform. One thing to watch out for tho is condensation on the tube. So that has to be taken into consideration if you live in a high humidity area.

Jerome Stanek
02-10-2016, 12:20 PM
I really can`t swing buying a chiller. I guess what I`m looking for is more advise on how to build cooling system myself. I could do the Ice bucket thing I guess but would rather find a better solution as it would be kind of a pain for me to go that way. As for how much I`m going to be using it? Quite a bit I hope. I would like to start a Business eventually. Does anyone know if it`s a good idea or not using the RV antifreeze?

I have been using RV antifreeze for over 2 years with no problem

Keith Winter
02-10-2016, 12:26 PM
Does anyone here use an aquarium chiller to cool their tube?

Considering it myself for a efr ZS-1250 80 watt tube. Would buy cw5000 but they are not available off the shelf in Australia and china wants over 300 bucks for shipping one.
Makes it a little unaffordable.

A number of people do, that setup Bert was describing is similar to a aquarium chiller. Problem will be keeping the water cool, for that Bert suggested ice jugs in it if you re-read his post above. If you have your laser in an unconditioned space you will be fighting the heat from the laser and also the room, not impossible, but harder to do without a proper chiller. Phill for your 80w I'd consider the CW 5200. CW 5000 would do ok, but might overheat if the room temperature got too hot. Buy more than you think you'll need when it comes to a chiller, no fun to be down because your water got too hot.

Michael Lieb
02-10-2016, 7:17 PM
Thanks much. Yes Condensation may be a problem. I will be keeping the machine in my basement where it stays a bit cool and damp in the summer.I will be running a dehumidifier but now you got me wondering what steps I should take to keep that issue at bay.

Andrew Holloway
02-10-2016, 9:33 PM
When I got my first laser (40W glass tube) I had a 40L (10 gallon) water tub with a small aquarium pump and had 6 or 8 2Litre (half gallon) bottles that I kept in the freezer and just swapped over as the water temp rose throughout the day. I probably only used the laser up to 4 hours a day back then and found it was not really a pain at all. I could keep the temp within about a 2 degrees Celsius range which was great for keeping the laser power consistent. I don't remember the temps I aimed for, but I think it was 18-20 degrees Celsius.
If you are just starting out and will not be running the laser all day every day from day 1, I'd recommend this as a simple, cheap setup to get you started. As business picks up and you are finding it inconvenient, you will hopefully have made some cash and won't think twice about picking up a CW 5000 (or CW 5200).
Just my 2c

Bill Carruthers
02-11-2016, 11:47 AM
When I got my first laser (40W glass tube) I had a 40L (10 gallon) water tub with a small aquarium pump and had 6 or 8 2Litre (half gallon) bottles that I kept in the freezer and just swapped over as the water temp rose throughout the day. I probably only used the laser up to 4 hours a day back then and found it was not really a pain at all. I could keep the temp within about a 2 degrees Celsius range which was great for keeping the laser power consistent. I don't remember the temps I aimed for, but I think it was 18-20 degrees Celsius.
If you are just starting out and will not be running the laser all day every day from day 1, I'd recommend this as a simple, cheap setup to get you started. As business picks up and you are finding it inconvenient, you will hopefully have made some cash and won't think twice about picking up a CW 5000 (or CW 5200).
Just my 2c
I second that Andrew - for intermittent use I still use a similar system for my 60 watt machine - I don't see much power degradation till the coolant water gets over 24 or 25 C.

Bert Kemp
02-11-2016, 9:35 PM
One other thing after re reading your 1st post. You said you ordered a 50 watt Chinese laser. Be aware that this is not really a 50 watt laser but most likely an over driven 40 watt tube that might maybe run at 35 watts . If you try running your laser at full power you'll kill your tube in no time. I would suggest putting an amp meter on the machine if it doesn't come with one and monitoring your power.

Michael Lieb
02-11-2016, 11:13 PM
Well I guess I`ll go with the Ice then. seems to be the best way to go for now. I did order a amp meter. I will install that before I fire it up.
Been reading a lot about water flow and Flow sensor issues. Thoughts on that whole thing?

Rich Harman
02-12-2016, 12:05 AM
I know someone that uses a barrel of water for cooling. They have the tap running continuously into it at a trickle to keep the water cool and fresh. Very cheap and reliable if you have a cheap source of cold water.

Michael Lieb
02-12-2016, 9:23 AM
Thanks everybody for all the great advise.

Michael Lieb
02-12-2016, 9:34 AM
Okay one more quick question.I would like to monitor my Tube temp. I've seen temp gauges installed for this. Can someone tell me what I need for this? as well as where I can find it. And most importantly how to go about it. This is something I would like to get done before I even turn the thing on for the first time.
Thanks again everybody!

Bert Kemp
02-12-2016, 4:18 PM
if you keep your water temp were it suppose to be I wouldn't think it necessary to monitor the tube , I don't know of anyone who monitors tube temp. I would think its close to what the water is

Shawn Morris
02-14-2016, 4:43 PM
I searched craigslist until I found a small aquarium chiller for under $100. I use a 5 gallon Igloo cooler to circulate the water through the chiller with one pump. I have a second pump for the tube. I use a flow scout with thermometer to monitor water flow and temperature in case the chiller fails. Flow scout came from ebay

Bert Kemp
02-14-2016, 9:03 PM
I believe someone here made a chiller from one of thos $99 water coolers wally world sells, try doing a search here for it.

David Somers
02-15-2016, 4:09 PM
Michael and Bert,

here is the link to the thread Bert referred to. Hope this helps.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?217694-How-I-cool-my-laser-tube-Have-been-doing-it-for-about-2-years&p=2283189&highlight=#post2283189

Dave

Bert Kemp
02-15-2016, 8:44 PM
Yea I gave that some thought when it was posted but the 1.5gal water reservoir I thought would not be enough to keep the tube cool the compressor would be running constantly. Probably burn it up pretty fast if you use the laser cutting a lot.

Michael and Bert,

here is the link to the thread Bert referred to. Hope this helps.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?217694-How-I-cool-my-laser-tube-Have-been-doing-it-for-about-2-years&p=2283189&highlight=#post2283189

Dave