PDA

View Full Version : I made my first non-square drawer.... by accident

Andrew Pitonyak
02-09-2016, 3:21 PM
My stock was flat and square.... and then I cut the boards to size for my drawers and they were still square. I did not test again for flat, but they sure looked flat.

I then created hand cut dovetails, cut a groove, cut a piece of plywood for the base, slammed it in, glued it up, and never checked it for square. I have never had a drawer that was not square doing this. Well, I managed to create a parallelogram. No idea why I did not check it for square. Wait, I know why, I am obviously lazy and not very smart.

I probably did not check the base to be sure it was square. i intend to cut this thing apart to see what I can figure out. I should have tested for square. I did not notice until I went to put it on the wood runners and the left side was set back about 1/2". The sides are very much parallel, or at least they fit without significant clearance and no rubbing. So, over a bit over 16" it is out about 1/2" so, that is roughly 1/32" for each inch.

The optimist in me says that I get more experience with hand cut dovetails.

The pessimist in me says that it will take less time to plane, cut, and prepare my mahogany drawer fronts (ignoring applying finish). I am trying to decide if I want to use Waterlox or shellac. i can obtain a similar finish with both but the Waterlox is more work and I think that it looks a little nicer.

Lee Schierer
02-09-2016, 4:51 PM
We've all done that. If your sides are sold wood you might be able to soak the joint in water and take each corner apart to salvage your parts. You've now learned to check everything before and after the glue is applied.

Steve Peterson
02-09-2016, 6:16 PM
I got glasses for the first time in my life about 5 years ago and now everything looks crooked. I used to be able to just look at something and know if it was close to square. Now my peripheral vision is so skewed that I can't even hang a picture without using a level.

Steve

David Kumm
02-09-2016, 6:42 PM
Welcome to the real ( or at least my world ). I've used the edge sander more than once to fix a parallelogram. Dave

Bill McNiel
02-09-2016, 7:47 PM
Been there, done that! Result- I built a corner jig for drawer glue-ups.

Andrew Pitonyak
02-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Dovetailed the replacement last night. Still need to cut the grove and the bottom.

Robert Engel
02-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Dovetailed the replacement last night. Still need to cut the grove and the bottom.The fix for that is cut the bottom out and restore the groove using a slot cutter bit.
Slide in a new bottom the drawer should flex back into square.