PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 66 Magnetic Starter Problem

Lucas Barr
02-09-2016, 12:02 PM
Hello,
About a year ago I picked up an older Powermatic 66 from a guy off of craigslist. The saw is in excellent condition (it resided in the same basement for 50+ years and was only occasionally used). I have been having a problem recently with the magnetic starter that when I start the saw the motor only runs when the start button is depressed, when you release the start button the saw stops. I have a limited knowledge of how these starters work, and this one being so old, there is very little information online. The saw uses a 230V single phase marathon motor and the starter is a Allen Bradley 709 series K. From what I have read online the contacts may be the culprit but I have not been able to find replacement contacts for this starter. Would polishing the contacts be a good start or would I be better off replacing this with a new starter? My preference is to keep the machine original if I can. Any help you can offer is appreciated.

Lucas

Rod Sheridan
02-09-2016, 1:40 PM
Hello Lucas, the auxiliary contact ( 2 and 3) latch the contactor in the closed position when you press the start button.

For some reason it isn't closing, perhaps it has some sawdust in it?

Try blowing out the contactor with a bit of compressed air, not real pressure............Regards, Rod.

Lucas Barr
02-09-2016, 2:05 PM
I'll try that tonight. Thanks Ron.

Bradley Gray
02-10-2016, 9:59 AM
+1 on what Rod said. I have an old 66, mine is 3 phase but I have the same problem occasionally.If you do end up needing parts southlandelectrical.com has used parts for these starters.

Lucas Barr
02-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I got it running last night. I cleaned up the contacts for with some fine sandpaper and that seemed to do the trick. Bradley, thanks for the lead on the parts, I couldn't find anything online for AB starters this old.

Lucas