PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane HTC125 Chuck

Rick Bailey
02-08-2016, 8:16 PM
Dose it have a grub screw in the insert for revers sanding?
Can't seem to find out on the web site.

Brice Rogers
02-08-2016, 9:03 PM
I looked on-line and saw a video. The fellow didn't specifically mention the grub screw but I can see two. The chuck uses a threaded insert adapter and the adapter has the holes for the two grub screws. Also, if you stare at the Hurricane catalog sheets you can see a hole for what would appear to be a grub screw.

If you call The Woodturning Store, (631) 421-TOOL, they may be able to give you verbal confirmation.

Roger Chandler
02-08-2016, 9:05 PM
No it does not have a grub screw.......the explanation that Steve Fulgoni gives is that all spindles are not configured identically, so a grub screw could mess up threads, on certain lathe models.....he encourages each owner to drill and tap a hole to customize for their particular lathe.

Rick Bailey
02-08-2016, 9:24 PM
No it does not have a grub screw.......the explanation that Steve Fulgoni gives is that all spindles are not configured identically, so a grub screw could mess up threads, on certain lathe models.....he encourages each owner to drill and tap a hole to customize for their particular lathe.

Is that what you did Roger?
I saw you had the same chuck.

Roger Chandler
02-08-2016, 9:34 PM
Is that what you did Roger?
I saw you had the same chuck.I have not drilled my chuck insert. I rarely sand in reverse, but some stubborn wood demands it. I am careful and have never had my Hurricane chucks back off, but I sand at a slow speed, and make sure my chuck is threaded onto the spindle with a bit of snug up. All my SuperNova chucks do have the set screw, so I always use them when using the Nova chucks.

Rick Bailey
02-08-2016, 9:42 PM
That was my thinking too,
No regrets one the chuck?
Looks like a nice chuck for the money.

Roger Chandler
02-08-2016, 9:44 PM
Looks like a nice chuck for the money.I am VERY pleased with both my HTC-100, and HTC-125.......both are great values in a quality chuck.

Rick Bailey
02-08-2016, 10:01 PM
I am VERY pleased with both my HTC-100, and HTC-125.......both are great values in a quality chuck.

Well there goes some more of my tool $$$ for the year.:cool:
Thanks Roger.

Matt Schrum
02-09-2016, 8:35 AM
Looks like a nice chuck for the money.

Another vote for the HTC-125. It's a well built chuck and I have no complaints.

Joe Bradshaw
02-09-2016, 9:20 AM
I had the HTC 100 chuck. I bought it as a less expensive replacement for my Talon chucks. The weight fell between the Talon chuck and the Stronghold chucks. It was well built. I never did get used to using it. I was and still am used to the Talons and Strongholds. Everything on the Hurricane was slightly different. If my first chuck had been the Hurricane, I would have been a happy camper. I guess my point is, pick one brand of chuck and stay with it.
Joe

terry mccammon
02-09-2016, 10:37 AM
I have the HTC-125 and find it a very good chuck. I do sand in reverse and feel the lack of a grub screw. I do snug up as was stated above and have never had the chuck start to unscrew. That said, I think about it and wish it had a grub screw. That said, I have not drilled and tapped for one either. I also have two Super Nova's. If I had it to do over I would look carefully at the Bulldog line which does have a grub screw.

David C. Roseman
02-10-2016, 11:51 AM
I have the HTC125 and HTC100 chucks, as well as several Oneway Strongholds and Talons, and a variety of jaws for each. They are all excellent chucks, but I've come to favor the Hurricanes. They have a bit more mass, and I really like their closed-back design (similar to the Vicmarcs).

I'll add some thoughts on grub/set screws. If you are selecting a brand of chuck in part because the inserts come pre-drilled and tapped for grub screws, make sure the screws are in the right place for the spindle of your particular lathe(s). The grub screws must tighten against an unthreaded area on your spindle. Unfortunately there is no industry standard for this, and if they tighten against the threads, they won't do you much good, unless you don't mind seriously galling your threads. :eek: For example, my Oneway 1-1/4" x 8 tpi inserts are pre-drilled and tapped, but the grub screws seat against the spindle threads of my G0766 and G0733 lathes, half in and half out of the dedicated channel in the spindles designed to receive grub screes. So they are unusable for me, unless I were to redrill and retap for the screws in the correct positions. I've heard of some turners using special brass-tipped set screws in an effort to reduce damage on other lathes. I haven't tried it, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable cranking down even with brass tips. The Hurricane chuck inserts do not come pre-drilled and tapped for grub screws. As Roger Chandler noted in a post above, this is as Steve Fulgoni at The Woodturning Store intends, precisely because of the wide variation in spindle configurations. Makes sense to me. I haven't felt the need to drill and tap the inserts yet, but that is quite easy to do.

David C. Roseman
02-11-2016, 8:15 PM
[snip]
For example, my Oneway 1-1/4" x 8 tpi inserts are pre-drilled and tapped, but the grub screws seat against the spindle threads of my G0766 and G0733 lathes, half in and half out of the dedicated channel in the spindles designed to receive grub screes. So they are unusable for me, unless I were to redrill and retap for the screws in the correct positions. I've heard of some turners using special brass-tipped set screws in an effort to reduce damage on other lathes. I haven't tried it, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable cranking down even with brass tips. The Hurricane chuck inserts do not come pre-drilled and tapped for grub screws. As Roger Chandler noted in a post above, this is as Steve Fulgoni at The Woodturning Store intends, precisely because of the wide variation in spindle configurations. Makes sense to me. I haven't felt the need to drill and tap the inserts yet, but that is quite easy to do.
[snip]

Small correction of my comment on the fit of the set screws in the Oneway aftermarket inserts if used on the Grizzly G0766 and G0733. I just checked again and they do seat half in and half out of the dedicated channel, but the half that is out seats on the spindle boss (shoulder) that abuts the spindle face, rather than on the spindle threads as I had misremembered. So still not usable without redrilling and tapping, as they gall the spindle boss. My point is the same: best to check on fit with the lathe a chuck is purchased for, if factory-drilled and tapped set screws are a big reason for selecting that particular chuck.

John Nordyke
02-12-2016, 10:19 AM
The insert that came with my HTC 125 (purchased 6 weeks ago) for my Griz G0766 (1 1/4x8 thread) came with two grub screws already tapped and installed...maybe some inserts do and some don't, or there's been a design change recently?? I use 'em all the time when sanding in reverse...

Roger Chandler
02-12-2016, 10:49 AM
The insert that came with my HTC 125 (purchased 6 weeks ago) for my Griz G0766 (1 1/4x8 thread) came with two grub screws already tapped and installed...maybe some inserts do and some don't, or there's been a design change recently?? I use 'em all the time when sanding in reverse...That is news, John. I know the both the 125 and the 100 that I have, neither come with grub screws......that must be a recent, and I must say welcome addition, especially if they are positioned where they do not damage the threads or the spindle boss.

David C. Roseman
02-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Interesting! Steve Fulgoni is an SMC member, so perhaps he'll weigh in on this thread.

John, on your G0766, do the set screws in your insert seat fully within the dedicated channel (between the spindle boss and spindle threads)?

David C. Roseman
02-12-2016, 11:12 AM
I just remembered and pulled up this two-year-old review of the HTC125 on this forum, where the set screw issue was also discussed.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/index.php/t-201757.html
(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/index.php/t-201757.html)
It's the thread that first got me interested in the Hurricane chucks. I had forgotten that Steve Fulgoni posted there about the set screw issue. Back then, only the insert for 33 mm spindles came factory-drilled and tapped because of the variation in other spindle configurations. Sounds like he may have made some modifications for use on some other spindles as well, e.g., the G0766 and G0733, maybe more.

Steve Fulgoni
02-12-2016, 1:17 PM
Hi Guys, and thanks to David for alerting me to this post.

Due to the many requests by users, I now offer grub screws on the M33 insert and the 1 1/4" x 8 insert. They just came in with the last production run. We are shipping them as the standard inserts now for those threads. I still have 1 1/4 x 8 inserts without threads if you want to drill for your lathe, but you would have to request it specifically.

If anyone has an insert without the grub screws, and would like one, ship it back to me and I will exchange it for no charge. I will cover return shipping costs too.

Please note that the 1" x 8 TPI inserts still do not have grub screw holes (2/12/2016) That is because many mini lathes have no flat spindle area at all. I guess I could have made the hole and included nylon set screws, but I haven't tested that to see how they would hold.

As you know also, my general suggestion is to never turn in reverse and if you want to sand in reverse, do so carefully. Sanding is much safer than turning in reverse because usually your piece is lighter in weight, balanced and not a rough cut or heavy piece of stock likely to spin off.

Oh, and I will update the website soon with the correct info

Thanks, as always, for your support.

Steve

Rick Bailey
02-12-2016, 1:25 PM

Due to the many requests by users, I now offer grub screws on the M33 insert and the 1 1/4" x 8 insert. They just came in with the last production run. We are shipping them as the standard inserts now for those threads. I still have 1 1/4 x 8 inserts without threads if you want to drill for your lathe, but you would have to request it specifically.

If anyone has an insert without the grub screws, and would like one, ship it back to me and I will exchange it for no charge. I will cover return shipping costs too.

Please note that the 1" x 8 TPI inserts still do not have grub screw holes (2/12/2016) That is because many mini lathes have no flat spindle area at all. I guess I could have made the hole and included nylon set screws, but I haven't tested that to see how they would hold.

As you know also, my general suggestion is to never turn in reverse and if you want to sand in reverse, do so carefully. Sanding is much safer than turning in reverse because usually your piece is lighter in weight, balanced and not a rough cut or heavy piece of stock likely to spin off.

Steve

Thanks Steve that's great,
I'll will be ordering mine from Amazon,
Will it be shipped by you?
I just want to be sure I get the chuck with the insert that has the grub screws.
Thanks,
Rick

Geoff Whaling
02-12-2016, 2:05 PM
There is of course the obvious solution to this situation - don't turn or sand in reverse. :D

Lathes capable of both anti-clockwise (forward) and clockwise (reverse) rotation are a relatively new development. While customers demand such specification and lathe / chuck manufacturers continue to design & supply products which rely upon a threaded spindle and threaded chuck inserts the hazard of a chuck & blank coming off the lathe while turning in reverse will always be present. No matter what "grub screw" system is used to retain the insert / chuck it still relies upon operator diligence to actually work and to prevent damage to lathe spindles.

Yes, the hazard was always there with outboard turning & threaded insert chucks. Prior to the introduction of the scroll chuck, turners had LH & RH threaded insert face plates - that eliminated the hazard. So wood turners four jaw scroll chucks have been around about 30 years now and we still don't have a satisfactory solution for this hazard?

How often will turners be tempted to say "its only one short project I won't nip up the grub screw" then forget that they haven't done so and move onto another project etc? Or they will realize that the grub screw is causing damage and simply not use it but continue with their habit of sanding in reverse etc. Repairing lathe spindles is not cheap.

Vicmarc have gone one step past the grub screw in the threaded insert design with their collar design however it will only fit the newer model Vicmarc lathe & chucks - no retrofit options unless the lathe spindle is re-manufactured or replaced.

I think the real solution is a redesigned lathe spindle to chuck mount similar to some of the machinists CNC quick mount setups - but that introduces extra cost, complexity and more "non industry standard" incompatibility issues. Who will set the new industry standard?

The Stienert Maximo offer a "bayonet receiver" but off course it is still set up for anti-clock wise rotation. http://www.steinert.eu/maximo_en/maximo-home/maximum-stability/maximale-stabilitaet.html & http://www.steinert.eu/maximo_en/maximo-home/maximum-dimensions/maximale-dimensionen.html & http://www.steinert.eu/maximo_en/maximo-home/maximum-accessories/maximales-zubehoerangebot.html

Roger Chandler
02-12-2016, 3:57 PM

SteveThanks Steve......I don't think those of us who ordered before the improvement could ask for better customer service! I also have the Grizzly G0766, and have both the HTC100 and HTC 125......you will be hearing from me soon......thanks for stepping up!!!

David C. Roseman
02-12-2016, 5:40 PM
Well, this thread has now inspired me to finally get around to drilling and tapping the 1-1/4" x 8 tpi inserts on my HTC125 and HTC100 chucks for set screws. :) I've never felt the need in 2-1/2 years of using them, but then I only sand lightly, not turn, in reverse. I just measured on my G0766 and G0733 spindles, and centering the set screws 7.5 mm back from the outboard edge of the insert should seat the screws dead center in the dedicated spindle channel. I'll probably use 6 mm x 1 set screws.

I'd take Steve up on his kind offer to do the drilling and tapping, but I don't want to be without the chucks even for a week!

Roger Chandler
02-12-2016, 7:04 PM
Well, this thread has now inspired me to finally get around to drilling and tapping the 1-1/4" x 8 tpi inserts on my HTC125 and HTC100 chucks for set screws. :) I've never felt the need in 2-1/2 years of using them, but then I only sand lightly, not turn, in reverse. I just measured on my G0766 and G0733 spindles, and centering the set screws 7.5 mm back from the outboard edge of the insert should seat the screws dead center in the dedicated spindle channel. I'll probably use 6 mm x 1 set screws.

I'd take Steve up on his kind offer to do the drilling and tapping, but I don't want to be without the chucks even for a week!David, let us know if that measurement hits directly in the center between the boss and threads....if it does, I might try a similar fix. What drill bit do you use with a 6mm screw?

Hilel Salomon
02-12-2016, 8:17 PM
Wow, I have two of the bigger chucks, and don't know if I'll take Steve up on his offer. What I do know is that his response demonstrates incredibly good service. Kudoes to you Steve.

John Nordyke
02-13-2016, 9:57 PM
When I first engaged the grub screws with the G0766, they caught the tiniest portion of the last thread - I had just finished mill/filing the shoulder so that my oneway faceplates would seat (the HTC seats without that mod, by the way). So I took just a smidge more off the shoulder and now the grubs just clear the last thread...really, it hit such a small portion I don't think it would have mattered.

Jeramie Johnson
02-15-2016, 4:08 PM
Steve,

That is an amazing service.

If I recall correctly, my recently purchased HTC125 has the grub screws, but my HTC100 does not. I might take you up on the insert swap.

-Jeramie

Rick Bailey
02-19-2016, 9:21 PM
HTC 125 ordered,
Can't wait.:p

Ben Pierce
03-08-2016, 8:51 PM
I like the HTC 125 a lot but it's dangerous to the hands. The plastic/metallic coating on the exterior of the chuck flakes off leaving razor-sharp shards. One day I'll take the time to peel off the rest of the coating. Meanwhile I'll have to keep the band-aids handy.

Also watch the round knobs on the key handle. They're not tight from the factory. Easy to drop and lose one for good in a deep pile of shavings.

Rick Bailey
03-08-2016, 9:17 PM
I like the HTC 125 a lot but it's dangerous to the hands. The plastic/metallic coating on the exterior of the chuck flakes off leaving razor-sharp shards. One day I'll take the time to peel off the rest of the coating. Meanwhile I'll have to keep the band-aids handy.

Also watch the round knobs on the key handle. They're not tight from the factory. Easy to drop and lose one for good in a deep pile of shavings.

Wow!
Ben I don't know, mine looks very well made.
Maybe Steve will chime in?

David Delo
03-08-2016, 10:00 PM
I like the HTC 125 a lot but it's dangerous to the hands. The plastic/metallic coating on the exterior of the chuck flakes off leaving razor-sharp shards. One day I'll take the time to peel off the rest of the coating. Meanwhile I'll have to keep the band-aids handy.Also watch the round knobs on the key handle. They're not tight from the factory. Easy to drop and lose one for good in a deep pile of shavings.I have 3 of them and none show any signs of deterioration. Agree with you about round knobs. I put a dab of CA glue and problem solved.

Joe Shanaphy
03-14-2016, 6:04 PM
I have two 100's and just ordered two 125's (to go with my recently delivered G0766, he he). I have had the 100's since they were first introduced and haven't had any of the flaking mentioned ... and I am very hard on my chucks! They are great chucks and a terreific value. Steve's customer service is second to no one. BTW ... a little thread locker works great for the round knob on the key.

Roger Chandler
03-14-2016, 7:48 PM
Neither of my HTC chucks show any flaking or such. Mine are not dangerous....very well made, and reliable is what I call them!

Roger Chandler
03-14-2016, 7:53 PM
I have two 100's and just ordered two 125's (to go with my recently delivered G0766, he he). I have had the 100's since they were first introduced and haven't had any of the flaking mentioned ... and I am very hard on my chucks! They are great chucks and a terreific value. Steve's customer service is second to no one. BTW ... a little thread locker works great for the round knob on the key.Joe, if you have not yet visited the Grizzly Green Monster Group, we invite you to join the other 162 members who are on that part of the forum. Click "community" at the top of the page, then "groups" and you will see it!

Ben Pierce
03-14-2016, 9:02 PM
The flaking is because I nicked the chuck with the edge of a a tool rest at one point, which started it coming off. I'll take a picture. This is not really a complaint about the chuck, other than I think they could have skipped the coating. The chuck itself is a beast. I need another one.