PDA

View Full Version : Quickie

Chris Barton
09-11-2005, 3:31 PM
Here is a little something I whiped together yesterday. Wood is curly spalted maple with TransTint "Honey Amber" stain, a few coats of nitocellulose and some Mylands paste wax.

Thanks for looking!

Richard Wolf
09-11-2005, 4:15 PM
Nice clock, nice wood.

Richard

Dan Forman
09-11-2005, 4:23 PM
I really like that. A very timely post, as I have been thinking a lot about clocks lately, having picked a number of fairly small boards of nicely figured maple.

Dan

Richard Wolf
09-11-2005, 4:24 PM
Actually, you should be careful about using words like whiped together. It reminds me of something that happened years ago. My wife does craft fairs, painted stuff, and needed some wooden plaques for signs, asked me to make one. Wanting to impress her, I dashed into the shop, and "whiped" one out. I came back in and she said great. How long does it take you to make one? No time at all, I responded. Well, how much did it cost? Nothing, it came from the scrap box, was my answer.
Beautiful, she said, go make me a thousand!!!!
Live and learn.

Richard

Dick Parr
09-11-2005, 4:41 PM
Chris what else can be said but WOW! That is one beautiful clock and I love that wood.

Great job :)

Jim Becker
09-11-2005, 4:49 PM
Beautiful clock, Chris! And don't worry about the "whipping together" part...I happen to be "whipping together" as we speak...and have a funny feeling more and more of my projects will be that way going forward.

John Renzetti
09-11-2005, 5:20 PM
Great job on the clock. Your whipping something together would have taken me at least 4 months.
Quick question. Did you apply a sealer type coat to the wood before you applied the transtint and also another coat prior to shooting the nitro.
take care,
John

Corey Hallagan
09-11-2005, 5:53 PM
That is a beautiful piece! I love making clocks. Thanks for posting.

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
09-11-2005, 5:54 PM
Very nice, Chris. Isn't it great when something like this whips together quickly? I guess it makes up for all those times we spend all weekend trying to complete a "little 1 hour" project.

- Vaughn

john whittaker
09-11-2005, 7:09 PM
Great piece Chris. Like the finish a lot. Very nice color, and the figure is really outstanding.

John Buzzurro
09-11-2005, 7:55 PM
Chris,

I really like the clock. Beautiful wood, nice finish. I've made a couple of clocks similar to that, but I doubt I could whip one together as quickly as you did. Nice job.

John

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Daggone Chris!....................I can't wait to see what you do when you have some time!

Bruce

Philip Glover
09-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Chris,

That is a great looking clock! To me, clock making is the height of fine woodworking.
Where did you get the works?

Thanks,
Phil

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-12-2005, 7:10 AM
Very nice :) ...but you don't mention the clock source? I like the 'look' of that movement.

KC

Chris Barton
09-12-2005, 7:10 AM
Phil,

The clock movement is from Klockit and operates off a single AA battery. I have purchased quite a few movements from them and would highly reccomend them if anyone is looking to build a clock.

Jeff Sudmeier
09-12-2005, 8:25 AM
Chris,

That is a great looking clock! I would love to see one you didn't whip together, this one is great.