PDA

View Full Version : Good source for nails?

Mike Dowell
02-08-2016, 2:55 PM
I buy most of my plain steel, flat head, slotted wood screws from "blacksmith bolt and rivet" company. They have good prices and tons of inventory. However, I'm looking for a place to buy nails. Not shiny nails like those found at the box stores. I mean plain steel nails, both head nails and finish nails. Also, very, very small brad nails. A place where I could buy a box of all lengths of one particular nail. I restore antique furniture if you're wondering.

I can't seem to find a decent supplier online with my searches.

Thanks!

Jim Koepke
02-08-2016, 2:58 PM
Have you tried Tremont nail?

http://www.tremontnail.com/index.htm

jtk

Zach Dillinger
02-08-2016, 3:04 PM
The Tremont nails Jim linked to are what I use, but I tend to buy smaller quantities (of the same product) from Tools for Working Wood. This is nice if you don't need a whole pound of 1" headless brads... that's a lot of headless brads.

Mike Dowell
02-08-2016, 3:07 PM
That site is good, but they seem to have only the steel cut nails. Anything for finish nails, head nails and brads?

Zach Dillinger
02-08-2016, 3:26 PM
TFWW has all of those types for sale under the aegis of BT&C cut nails, from 7/8" headless brads up to 8d common nails. If you don't want the cut style, I don't know where to point you.

Tom M King
02-08-2016, 3:58 PM
If you weren't so far away, you would be welcome to come steal a handful or two of each. I have 50lb. boxes that belonged to my Father, and Grandfather, and I rarely use them.

Tony Wilkins
02-08-2016, 6:15 PM
I would recommend you to Tolls for WW; Joel is good to deal with. I just ordered for the first time from Tremont and was surprised by the 3 buck handling charge. I think lee valley might have some from what C S says in his last book.

Mike Dowell
02-09-2016, 6:52 PM
If you weren't so far away, you would be welcome to come steal a handful or two of each. I have 50lb. boxes that belonged to my Father, and Grandfather, and I rarely use them.
Awww man! That sounds like a deal!