PDA

View Full Version : Old table saw: Diamond in the rough?

Bill Ledoux
09-11-2005, 3:11 PM
I picked up a table saw for $75 from a retiree who was downsizing his home. The saw has a Delta-Milwaukee name plate on it and also "Rockwell serial number 90-4980" on another plate, and TCS 200 08 50 embossed on the body. I need to replace a couple parts on the fence and the saw, but am unsure where to go because it is so old. The previous owner said his father gave it to him when he graduated college (probably 1945 - 1950 as the gentleman appeared to be in his early 80's).

After cleaning the saw, spray painting the stand and replacing the parts I mentioned, it should be a great saw for my workshop. It certainly is built well. This is replaciing a low-end Sears 10" saw that had non-standard miter slots and arbor length. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dev Emch
09-11-2005, 5:23 PM
Bill...

A picture of the saw would help. This is a Delta saw. So your first stop for parts and info is to contact the Delta folks. Now I know there has been a lot of change at Delta following the Black and Decker(DeWalt) buy out of Pantair, so you may be in trouble in the parts department.

The next step is to sniff around the OWWM guys on their yahoo groups forum. They and the home shop machinist crowd often have metalworking machines at home including lathes and milling machines. The live steam guys even cast their own small parts using sand molds on their garage drive ways. Having connections like this can get you all sorts of parts. I myself make oliver parts as i need them.

So at this point, we need to know what your looking for and what model you actually have. Sounds like you may be on the right track here but then its already known where my bias lies.:):D

john whittaker
09-11-2005, 5:58 PM
Bill, in case you don't know....the OWWM web site Dev mentioned probably has most of the info you need. You can search around and find the manufacture date and probably see pictures of your model saw from others who have restored them. Many old Rockwell/Delta parts are still available through Delta but be prepared to spend some dough.

Frank Hagan
09-11-2005, 10:15 PM
The Old Wood Working Machines site is at http://www.owwm.com

Highly recommended for this type of thing ... lots of old manuals, etc. there.

Bill Ledoux
09-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'll check out the OWWM site.