PDA

View Full Version : Shop Tour - A Work In Process

Dave Haughs
02-08-2016, 9:03 AM
I still have a ways to go to get it where I want it, but I figured it was time to share. I've been pretty quiet around here the last few years due to life. We moved about 3 years ago and built a new house. We've been in it now just a bit over two years. I was fortunate enough to be allowed to build a two car garage dedicated strictly for shop space. I've been slowly getting re-established since then in between projects. I've had the last month to work on the shop and have made a lot of progress. I finally have duct work!

I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

On the todo list:
- Finish new router table
- Cabinet Doors
- Turning tool storage
- Grinder stand
- New planer stand or upgrade to 15" planer
- Build cabinet base for drum sander
- Find a place to store sheet goods so I can get my truck back in the other garage :)

But for now I need to build a bedroom set for my son, then maybe build him a new workbench for his tools before I get back to my shop projects.

I'm open to any feedback, questions or ideas.

Todd Burch
02-08-2016, 10:43 AM
Looks great Dave.

You don't want too much more taking floor space, or you'll be like me and not have any place to work a project!

Dave Haughs
02-08-2016, 11:05 AM
Thank you. The wide angle of the photos makes it seem a bit bigger than it is. Agree with the floor space. That's why I moved my sheet goods cart out and am looking for an alternative in the other garage for that wood. I try not to keep much sheet goods on hand but it's a losing battle. My grinder stand will go next to the lathe and I plan to build a flip top stand for my lunchbox planer so that when it's flipped down it will roll under the outfeed table or at least be low enough it's not in the way of outfeed.

Rick Potter
02-13-2016, 1:43 PM
Way too clean. Makes me embarrassed.

Does that workbench lift up? If so, how does it work?

glenn bradley
02-13-2016, 2:01 PM
Looks like you're doing well. I would put things like the lathe and the drum sander on shop-made bases that included storage but, I seem to have a lot of stuff to store :o. I add drawers to almost anything:

331561 . 331562

You can fit all those wall hanging clamps in less than a third of the space using something like this 16" wide fixture:

Bruce Page
02-13-2016, 4:07 PM
Nice shop Dave. I really like your DC closet.

Mike Heidrick
02-13-2016, 8:31 PM
Great job!!

Dave Zellers
02-13-2016, 8:58 PM
Way too clean. Makes me suspicious. :cool:

Plus, you don't have enough clamps.

But then, who does?

It's nice and all, but you're a ways away from a real shop with spider webs in the corners outlined with super fine shop dust. :D Crank up those machines man!

All in jest- I wish I had that much floor space.

I do think your chop saw is too close to the wall.

Terry Hatfield
02-14-2016, 9:24 PM
Looks great, Dave! Very, very nice space.

Dave Haughs
02-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments. I really enjoy my space.

Looks like you're doing well. I would put things like the lathe and the drum sander on shop-made bases that included storage but, I seem to have a lot of stuff to store :o. I add drawers to almost anything:

You can fit all those wall hanging clamps in less than a third of the space using something like this 16" wide fixture:

Absolutely intend to migrate to rolling cabinets under my tools as time goes on. Working on a new router table now for that same reason. I like that clamp rack. I still have a lot of free space in my racks for more clamps.

Way too clean. Makes me suspicious. :cool:

Plus, you don't have enough clamps.

But then, who does?

It's nice and all, but you're a ways away from a real shop with spider webs in the corners outlined with super fine shop dust. :D Crank up those machines man!

All in jest- I wish I had that much floor space.

I do think your chop saw is too close to the wall.

No I don't have enough clamps. Others don't seem to understand that :). Yes it's clean. I usually keep it pretty clean to keep the dust down for health reasons. Trying to be a bit proactive there. Plus if I don't the kids track the saw dust into the house, then I get in trouble. Chop saw positioning was carefully measured before building those cabinets for my needs. It can be a little tight for miters but I don't do many on it and it still get's it done when needed. If it gets to be an issue for me in the future I can easily convert the shelf it sits on into a sliding shelf to pull it out, or change it to a mobile base. But for now it's worked out well other than I tend to clutter things around it that make it harder to use.

Way too clean. Makes me embarrassed.

Does that workbench lift up? If so, how does it work?

It's a sickness. Certainly the polar opposite of what I grew up working in. Somewhere I have some build photos of that bench but I can't find them. The top is a torsion box with a replaceable 1/8" work surface. It sits on a harbor freight lift cart that I modified (read cut the extra metal off of) and built a base around it. There are some changes I'd like to make, but I've been very happy with it. I think I built it about 6 or 7 years ago. I'd like to add an end vise to it, some extra dog holes and I need to tune up the face vise a bit. The height adjustment is great, I'd have a hard time going back.

Peter Aeschliman
02-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Dude, that adjustable bench is amazing!

I might have to steel that idea for an assembly table!

Dave Haughs
02-15-2016, 1:10 PM
Dude, that adjustable bench is amazing!

I might have to steel that idea for an assembly table!

I believe I "borrowed" it from someone else here on the forums :)

I love it. It will go higher than I have "legs" for it and it's wobbly if you don't have it on the legs, it's stable but shakes. I could make some inserts but haven't needed them yet. The ram bleeds down, fairly quickly now and sometimes it takes some pumping to get it to prime, but when it hasn't noticeably leaked so when it stops working I'll replace it. Typical harbor freight. It used to take a couple days to bleed down, now its a matter of an hour.

It worked great when I had to refinish a Jeep hard top too. Allowed me to get it to the level I needed to work and to move it around the garage. Handy for unloading the truck or as an outfeed or any other tool support too. I've got more in wood than the cost of the lift.

I can't remember if it's this one or the 1000lbs model. Either way it looks like they changed the color. They go on sale now and again. I rotated the pump handle, took the push handle off and cut the when feet off then framed around it with 2x6 or 2x8.

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-61405.html

Dave Zellers
02-15-2016, 10:51 PM
Looks like you are in total control.

Proceed with dust creation.

Rick Potter
02-16-2016, 2:44 AM
Thanks Dave, really like the table.