PDA

View Full Version : Help with water resistant panel

Raymond Fries
02-07-2016, 8:16 PM
I am looking for a water resistant panel to replace the base on my parrot's stand and google has not been all that helpful today. I was at Menards and they have dry erase panels with a masonite substrate and melamine panels with a particle board substrate. The dry erase panel seems like it would be stronger.

Does anyone know if these materials are water resistant? The melamine board looks like it has a surface that is less porous but not sure.

Thoughts?

Lee Schierer
02-07-2016, 8:54 PM
What about a piece of lexan.

Bruce Wrenn
02-07-2016, 9:17 PM
The "dry erase" board was originally made to use on tub surrounds, so it will handle the water.

Randy Red Bemont
02-08-2016, 9:42 AM
You could use a piece of vinyl flooring or a laminate countertop material. Just some thoughts.

Red

Jim Becker
02-08-2016, 9:50 AM
The dry erase board sounds like a good bet.

What breed is your parrot? We have a 21 yo Senegal (Tosca) and a Cockatiel.

Erik Loza
02-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Phenolic-faced ply?

Erik

Raymond Fries
02-08-2016, 1:24 PM
Thanks for the great ideas. Not sure what the final solution will be yet.

Jim - I have a Congo African Gray named Rafiki ( swahili for friend ) He is 11, was born on halloween, and whistles the twilight zone tune we all know so well. I have had him since he was 6 months old.

Ruperto Mendiones
02-08-2016, 11:48 PM
How about a solid surface [Corian or quartz] bottom. A sink cutout should be easy enough to procure.

Matt Marsh
02-09-2016, 8:43 AM
I've always referred to this stuff as Milkhouse panels. I've seen it used in milking parlors where they hose it down regularly. For the price, you could change it out often.

http://www.menards.com/main/paint/paneling-planking/paneling/4-x-8-textured-white-fiberglass-reinforced-plastic-wall-paneling/p-1444450799332-c-8168.htm?tid=-7988322116014447588

Morey St. Denis
02-09-2016, 9:16 AM
What I have used with success in the past is a PVC plastic bird bath. They are inexpensive, last a very long time and are shallow concave with a sturdy rim so that they can be conveniently spread with a layer of the dried chopped corn cob material that serves as absorbent pet litter. Much easier to selectively scoop and replenish this dry material than to be constantly wiping down a smooth barrier surface. When I had a Catalina Macaw while living in South Florida, I built an entire portable perch stand out of PVC DWV fittings. You can readily cut or bore a sized hole through the center of the plastic bath basin that fits around the vertical support somewhere just below tail length. As I recall, you can purchase just the replacement saucer section without that pedestal base. The one I found was plain white PVC around 15-16" in diameter. There are likely more ornately molded ones available in multiple colors now. A perch positioned above and configured from doubled 'T' fittings served as a feeding station and secured a stainless food bowl at a measured height above the bird's perch.

Of course as you well know, similar to the African Greys, Macaws are highly intelligent and verbal, so at his place around the dinner table he would get any table food that he could ask for by name. Favorites were vegetables, pasta and anything with bones to crunch up to get at the marrow, especially chicken leg bones... I fondly remember that his beverage of choice, often requested, was Cote de Beaune. These plastic bird baths may be somewhat seasonal in nature, depending upon your locale. If you should ever try your own perch out of PVC pipe and fittings; size the perch diameter based upon the size of your particular Avian's feet, and suggest you use a coarse rasp or carving gouge to texture the perch like a tree branch for better traction and stability.

Myk Rian
02-09-2016, 10:16 AM
How about some T1-11? Or even MDO?

Shawn Pixley
02-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Starboard is a plastic material for marine applications. It would be almost perfect for your application. Check out marine supply houses.