PDA

View Full Version : DW734 Broken Sproket

Siric Carter
02-07-2016, 2:07 PM
Hi,

Was doing some planing and realised that the planer was not feeding. Followed some advice on some threads and cleaned the rollers and the bed, but no change. Took off the side panels and on the drive side for the rollers, found that the sprocket that provides the power for the rollers is broken.

Will get a new one tomorrow, but when I turn the driver belt on the right hand side, the axle on the left hand side to which the sprocket was attached does not turn, and I cannot turn it by hand either. Is this supposed to be like this?

Thanks

Steve

Larry Frank
02-07-2016, 7:39 PM
I did a similar thing when I had a DW733. I found that the square bushings were gooped up with dust and oil. I took them out and replaced them. I had ordered a couple of sprocket and bushings. This solved the problem for me.

It took me a bit to get back together figuring what went on first but all ended well and that planer still runs.

Siric Carter
02-16-2016, 9:21 PM
Hi Larry,

Yes, it was the bushings that were the problem with one of the rollers; it would not turn and took some force to get it removed. I sanded the end of the roller that fits in the bushing with a very fine grit paper and greased it up. Removed the other one and did the same just in case. Would a better design be to have used bearings instead?

Anyway, know now to give those bushings a little oiling on a regular basis.

Steve