PDA

View Full Version : Achieving cross ventilation in cold weather?

Michael Yadfar
02-07-2016, 1:01 PM
I'm using Waterlox for the first time, and from what I've read cross ventilation is key. Cross ventilation itself is easy in my shop because I have two windows, just open one and put a fan in, and open the other as well. However, my biggest concern is the weather. There's going to be some warming and freezing early this week, then temperatures dropping into the single digits later. The two things I'm worried about are frost forming on cast iron surfaces, and the shop being freezing cold. The shop is insulated and sealed, but not tightly so it's not necessarily air tight. I've never worked with Waterlox before, so I'm not sure what to do.

John TenEyck
02-07-2016, 3:45 PM
You need heat and oxygen for varnish to cure. Too little of either and the cure slows down, even stops. So don't open the windows as the temp. will get too low and the humidity will go up and that's not good either. More heat would help speed up the cure. There's plenty of oxygen in the air that's in your shop but adding a small fan to move the air around, gently, would help. I don't use Waterlox but I use similar varnishes. My shop is always at least 65 F and they cure just fine, even without a fan.

John

Jim Becker
02-07-2016, 5:59 PM
I agree with John...you need to keep things at least the minimum temperature indicated from the finish manufacturer to insure optimal curing of the finish. So don't open any windows for "ventilation".