PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight- the Rodney Dangerfield of Tools

greg Forster
02-06-2016, 9:35 PM
Back in the 90s,I was a tool snob... Bosch, Senco, lots of Milwaukee
and gray Black and Decker tools. Craftsman?- only in a pinch(I did like
their 25' tapes).

But for the last 5 years, I have been buying ...Harbor Freight tools.

Just purchased the Floor Nailer a few weeks back, $111.00 out the door
with my 20% coupon; used it this afternoon for the first time, 200 sqft 1x6 yellow
pine flooring for my workshop and performed like a champ, air supplied by a HF
compressor I bought two years ago.

One caveat, I never use HF fasteners (once was enough);
I buy Bostich, etc.

Frederick Skelly
02-06-2016, 9:47 PM
Seems to depend on what you buy. I've had power tools that were just fine for occasional use. OTOH, I bought and immediately returned one of their combo squares - it was 1/8" off, right out of the package. But there are lists out there of "HF jems". Seems to be hit and miss.

Jim Dwight
02-07-2016, 8:00 AM
I have their flooring nailer and used it to put down about 800 square feet of Hickory prefinished flooring. Hickory is harder than oak and the HF sunk the nails into subfloor that was often 1 inch or more thick just fine. I have a narrow crown stapler that will not shoot the 1.5 inch staples it is supposed to be able to handle, however. I have one of their big 10A hammer drills that I've used as a demolition hammer to remove a chimney and about 8 feet of brick wall so far (also poked a few holes with it). I have a cordless 1/2 impact wrench that we used to drive 3/8 lag screws (no pilot hole) when replacing the floats on my dock. I also have a tool roll in the back of my BMW convertible filled with their hand tools. I get something useless there on occasion but I have never even bothered to take it back. The vast majority of what I've gotten has done the work of tools costing 2-3 times as much. (from what I read, I would be leery of the sliding compound miter saws unless you want to do a lot of fine tuning, however). I would be leery in general of their tools where high precision is required and expect a little worse fit and finish on occasion but I think their stuff is generally a great buy. I like my "nice tools" but I use HF often.

I think Ryobi is a bit the same way and is generally better than HF. Ryobi makes some junk but they also made my BT3100 table saw, my R-500 plunge router, my AP-10 planner and a bunch of 18V cordless tools I use all the time.

My theory on tools is to buy tools which are good enough for what I am doing. I only have one Festool (their hand sander that hooks to a vacuum) and it was a gift. I don't have a problem with people spending more money than I do on tools and I agree the nicer brands sometimes are a nicer tool but who needs a fancy hammer drill, for instance. A hole poked in concrete by my $100 HF is the same hole a $500 Hilti would make. Maybe if I did it all day I would appreciate the Hilti but I doubt it. Hammer drills are kind of hard on the user regardless of how they are made.

glenn bradley
02-07-2016, 9:39 AM
There were and still are diamonds in the rough at HF. Thanks for sharing your "finds" so that others can benefit.

Stan Calow
02-07-2016, 11:06 AM
They've figured out that many people only need (and pay for) a tool that will last for awhile, not to be handed down to grandchildren.

Mike Heidrick
02-07-2016, 12:39 PM
I have a 24" deep top and bottom 56" wide HF tool box that I have $1100 into and i've yet to see any new $1100 tool box be as nice as that one is. The 72" verson might just be the bottom of my next workbench. Also the hydraulic knock out kit is sweet and uses all my greenlee punches. Another fav is my hf autodarkening welding helmet.

Sam Murdoch
02-07-2016, 12:48 PM
I bought their Chicago Electric multi-tool for less than I paid for the 3 blades - http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/oscillating-tools.html

I have truly worked it very hard - some might say I beat the crap out of it. It is showing no signs of fatigue. This coming from a "only the best" type of tool user. I could complain about the short cord and the loud noise and the case that couldn't be any smaller and still store the tool - BUT for $ 32.00 minus 20% with a coupon - and 2 years + of hard use I won't. :D

Still - it's the only HF tool I have had the courage to buy since my very early tool buying years (some 30+ years ago).

Maybe I'm missing out. :confused:

Brian Henderson
02-07-2016, 1:10 PM
They've figured out that many people only need (and pay for) a tool that will last for awhile, not to be handed down to grandchildren.

But why would you care about handing tools down to grandchildren? My father bought tools to use, not to pass down to me. Sure, I got a bunch of his tools after he died, but that was not his intent. He also never bought tools as an "investment". They are utilitarian. They do a job. People need to stop pretending they're art. My tools aren't intended to be handed down to my children or grandchildren after I die either. I couldn't care less. I'll be dead.

Jim Finn
02-07-2016, 1:20 PM
I bought two 6"x48" stationary belt sanders from Harbor freight to replace the two Ryobi four inch ones. The Ryobi sanders worked well but I needed 6" width. The HF sanders cost me $199 and $169. They are the most used tools in my shop. I do not use their sand paper though.

Mike Cutler
02-07-2016, 1:42 PM
I have a few of their tools and to be honest, have been pretty happy with them. They wouldn't hold up to constant use, but for occasional, around the house, use they seem to be fine. I have the following;
Aluminum low profile racing jack.
Hydraulic lift cart.
6' aluminum ramps.
Two, 1 ton chain falls.

Terry Hatfield
02-07-2016, 2:13 PM
I have several things from HF that have been great.

Aluminum racing jacks
Aluminum ATV lift
Red 5 drawer tool cart
42" tool box
4 1/2" Heavy duty grinders
Electric sheet metal shears
Portable band saw
Hydraulic cable crimpers
Clear top plastic hardware storage boxes
Heat gun
Welder cart
3" pneumatic polisher
Western Safety mechanics gloves
Nitrile gloves
Assorted dead blow hammers
12v battery maintainers
1" orange crank straps
Oscillating multi tool
Tool box drawer liners
Pancake air compressor
Interlocking floor mats
Assorted flash lights -- free with coupon
Scissors -- free with coupon
5x7 blue tarps -- free with coupon
Stubby metric and sae wrenches

The not good list is things like sandpaper, electrical wire, clamps, welding wire and hardware. I also did not like the auto-darkening welding helmet but lots of people like it.

Ole Anderson
02-07-2016, 6:46 PM
I am redoing my pool table and needed to staple the cloth to the poplar slate liner and the oak rails. I tried a $39 electric stapler with 1/4" T50 staples, wouldn't come close to seating them in the Oak. Took it back to HD and bought the under $30 HF air stapler, works like a charm with the pressure dialed down to 40 psi! Shot about 500 staples without a jam.

Brian Henderson
02-07-2016, 7:38 PM
I am redoing my pool table and needed to staple the cloth to the poplar slate liner and the oak rails. I tried a $39 electric stapler with 1/4" T50 staples, wouldn't come close to seating them in the Oak. Took it back to HD and bought the under $30 HF air stapler, works like a charm with the pressure dialed down to 40 psi! Shot about 500 staples without a jam.

Their air tools tend to be real performers, I've had a couple and they go up against any of my more expensive guns just fine.

Peter Kelly
02-07-2016, 9:00 PM
Nitrile gloves^ One thing I happily buy at HF. The display area at the one in Brooklyn has many sizes, thicknesses and box quantities of nitrile gloves. Much better selection than the 99% of most other stores. From what I've bought, the quality has been very good.

Mike Heidrick
02-07-2016, 9:13 PM

I also recently bought a T50 pneumatic stapler - $19 at Farm and Fleet. It works fantastic. Using it on my batt insulation install.

Also a fan of the HF nitrile gloves and recently saw they carry 10mil thick ones - those are thicker than the current box I have. Will try those next time.

Terry Hatfield
02-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Also a fan of the HF nitrile gloves and recently saw they carry 10mil thick ones - those are thicker than the current box I have. Will try those next time.

I use the 10mil gloves when I'm working on the dragster or anything automotive. They are great.

Daniel O'Neill
02-08-2016, 9:47 AM
I purchased a drywall gun there and it leaves the bit in the screwhead about 85% of the time. About a week later I found a dewalt at an estate sale and purchased that for less than the HF version. The bit stays in the gun all the time. It's so frustrating to use the drywall gun that I don't. It just sits and is among the things I could get rid of and just resign myself to a loss. I do have many of their wrench sets but figure something like that is hard to mess up. I also know a carpenter that would buy all of his tools there. .... I know others who won't step foot. It would be nice to have a list of "jems"

Jerome Stanek
02-08-2016, 11:57 AM
I purchased a drywall gun there and it leaves the bit in the screwhead about 85% of the time. About a week later I found a dewalt at an estate sale and purchased that for less than the HF version. The bit stays in the gun all the time. It's so frustrating to use the drywall gun that I don't. It just sits and is among the things I could get rid of and just resign myself to a loss. I do have many of their wrench sets but figure something like that is hard to mess up. I also know a carpenter that would buy all of his tools there. .... I know others who won't step foot. It would be nice to have a list of "jems"

Did you try a different apex holder. I have some that hold the tips real good and others that don't. The best ones were the Milwuakee with a thread cap and o ring

Daniel O'Neill
02-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a shot! At the time I needed two guns anyway. Now I could do with one but it would be better to have one to sell/give that works decently.

Greg R Bradley
02-08-2016, 1:48 PM
They have a lot of junk and some real gems. Sometimes the junk can be fine for the job. For example, a soft blow hammer is going to get beat up pretty fast in use regardless of quality. If the good one lasts twice as long and costs 5 times as much the HF one, I'll take the HF one for my use. Same for their anvils. But a vise? Absolutely NOT. Some of their items like the fabric covered soaker hoses are twice as good and half the price of the ones at the BORG.

Another problem is the quality keeps changing. They have one caster that works pretty well but the bin contains 3 different item numbers from 3 different suppliers. So far, one is working out. Cheap Chinese products are subject to constant change so we don't know how long we can count on that product.

Really not that different from Grex nailers, their P6xx pinner is great, the 1850GB bradder is OK, the rest of their line is junk.

Terry Hatfield
02-08-2016, 2:00 PM
They have a lot of junk and some real gems. Sometimes the junk can be fine for the job. For example, a soft blow hammer is going to get beat up pretty fast in use regardless of quality. If the good one lasts twice as long and costs 5 times as much the HF one, I'll take the HF one for my use. Same for their anvils. But a vise? Absolutely NOT. Some of their items like the fabric covered soaker hoses are twice as good and half the price of the ones at the BORG.

Another problem is the quality keeps changing. They have one caster that works pretty well but the bin contains 3 different item numbers from 3 different suppliers. So far, one is working out. Cheap Chinese products are subject to constant change so we don't know how long we can count on that product.

Really not that different from Grex nailers, their P6xx pinner is great, the 1850GB bradder is OK, the rest of their line is junk.

Forgot about the fabric soaker hoses when I made my gem list. They are awesome. Agree about the winds of change. Model numbers are constantly changing and you never know if it's really the same thing or not.

Mel Fulks
02-08-2016, 2:54 PM
Agree with Terry about the soaker hoses ,AND around here HF had them way before the BORGS.

Jerome Stanek
02-08-2016, 3:14 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a shot! At the time I needed two guns anyway. Now I could do with one but it would be better to have one to sell/give that works decently.

Take the harbor freight one with you to match the length. I do like the ones with a snap ring in them also.

Terry Hatfield
02-08-2016, 3:20 PM
Agree with Terry about the soaker hoses ,AND around here HF had them way before the BORGS.

^^ Yup. I do wish they still had the 25' length though.

Jay Nossen
02-08-2016, 4:07 PM
I picked up a 72" and 48" box level for less than the 48 would cost me anywhere else. Checked them against other levels and they were dead on.

Terry Hatfield
02-08-2016, 5:21 PM
I picked up a 72" and 48" box level for less than the 48 would cost me anywhere else. Checked them against other levels and they were dead on.

I've not ventured into the levels. Most of the HF measuring stuff I've seen is not the greatest. I might have to try one of those 72 inchers.

Bruce Page
02-08-2016, 6:17 PM
I have a couple of their nailers that have proven reliable and I buy their nitrile gloves. That's about as far as I'm willing to test their quality. If I was just starting out buying equipment I might feel differently.

Brian Henderson
02-08-2016, 6:41 PM
I've not ventured into the levels. Most of the HF measuring stuff I've seen is not the greatest. I might have to try one of those 72 inchers.

I've got one. Can't say I use it much but I've never had a problem with it when I have.

Joe Bradshaw
02-08-2016, 7:46 PM
The 12" tool bags are great for keeping my angle grinders and the accessories together.
Joe

Garth Almgren
02-09-2016, 3:35 PM
I had an air-powered grease gun that I couldn't get to pump any grease for the life of me. On the flip side, the Ball Joint Service Kit (http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-joint-service-kit-for-2wd-and-4wd-vehicles-60827.html) has been invaluable for replacing U-joints on my Jeep. The deep-well impact sockets I got there have many years on them and little signs of wear. There are both good and bad tools at HF. If you get a bad one, you can return it.

The main advantage to HF as I see it is the low cost of entry - if you need a tool for one or two projects, you don't really want to throw your money away on a rental and you don't need to invest in the best as long as it gets the job done, so any life left in the tool after the project is done is simply a bonus.

mike mcilroy
02-09-2016, 7:12 PM
23g and 18g nailers on sale $9.99 each, 8 years ago. 1 jam on the 18g and it was operator error(double triggered). Love them both but also know if I had to make my daily living with them they would not have been considered just because they "feel" light duty, but that's exactly what I needed.

Bill Space
02-09-2016, 7:44 PM
I have bought a lot of the gems that have been mentioned above. Seems like most of my purchases are satisfactory...

One of the best was their small saw mill. I got lucky a couple years ago and they honored a 25% off coupon, so I got it delivered for around $1,650, or a bit less. Works great!

There are so many decent deals at HF that I don't laugh at them anymore...

Like everyone else, I do get a dud now and then...but overall I feel like a winner...:)