PDA

View Full Version : Under Cabinet Coffee Pod Holder

Mayo Pardo
02-06-2016, 8:38 PM
I looked online and there are lots of variations on the coffee pod storage theme.
I was originally thinking about making one that sits on the counter top and stands vertically sort of like a slightly tilted restaurant "specials" menu holder, but I already have too much stuff on the counters.

Instead I came up with a very simple holder that mounts to the underside of the cabinet, on the inside lip of the face frame using double sided tape.

My only dislike with this design is that it hangs straight vertically.
It would hold the pods a little more securely if it was angled a little bit.
This wasn't possible with this material - it was 1/8" left over base trim from when we did our kitchen.
I may make a backing piece from acrylic and put a bend in it so that the matching wood can then install on an angle. Now I'll have to figure out how to soften and put a bend only on the top 1/2 inch lip of the acrylic without having an acrylic heater strip...

Bruce Page
02-06-2016, 8:54 PM
Great idea. We keep ours in a small lidded basket we bought at Hobby Lobby.

To get the angle you want why not run an angled 1/8 dado in some flat stock and glue the holder in?

Chris DeGerolamo
02-08-2016, 9:47 AM
borrow the wife's straightener or blow dryer....in the name of science of course.

And don't tell her. :)

Or, what about making a living hinge on the wood, bend it as needed and glue in place to allow for angle?

Prashun Patel
02-08-2016, 9:51 AM
That's clever.

Can't you just shim the back end? Nobody would see it, and you probably only need a tiny slope to accomplish that.

Mayo Pardo
02-10-2016, 3:26 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions - I think I'll probably try the dado idea on the next one and see how it goes.

I was trying to maximize the quantity of pods that would fit under the 24 inch wide cabinet, and I didn't pay attention to the non symmetrical design. This is something I'm normally very particular about so I will be making another one.