PDA

View Full Version : Southwestern roadtrip

John Piwaron
06-11-2003, 11:17 AM
I a couple of weeks I'll be taking the family on a trip through the southwest. I'll be passing through Santa Fe, Las Vegas and San Diego. The starting point is Wisconsin

Is there anything cool in the way of woodworking along the way to see? Wood stores, tool shops, galleries, ect. that can be seen?

Jim Becker
06-11-2003, 12:22 PM
John, my wife and I "did" New Mexico and Arizona in the spring of 2002 as a driving trip. Tahoe and Santa Fe were great, as was Sedona AZ. While we didn't attempt to see anything specifically woodworking (other than a bunch of my woodworking friends in the Phoenix area and a good friend who is a pro turner in Chino Valley AZ), many galleries all had wonderful turnings and studio furniture. Try to take in some of the natural wonders as you pass through, too. You can see woodworking all over, but some of the sights are only available as you drive through!

John Piwaron
06-11-2003, 1:11 PM
Yeah, site seeing, looking at the scenery and so on are biggest reasons for going. But if there's something neat to see or a bit of wood not native to Wisconsin could be bought, well that'd be nice to.

One of the places I know I'll go to is Perified Forest National Park. Now that's some HARD wood ;)

Jim Becker
06-11-2003, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by John Piwaron
One of the places I know I'll go to is Petrified Forest National Park. Now that's some HARD wood

I meant to mention that...you definitely need to do the Petrified Forest. Fascinating! The Acoma Pueblo is also a noteworthy visit.

Doug Littlejohn
06-11-2003, 4:08 PM
Yep, the Petrified Forest and Acoma Pueblo are great. If you have the time, Canyon De Chelle (sp?, sounds like 'shay') and Bandolero National Park are way cool as well.

Let's see, down in southern Calif is an outfit known as Exotic Tropical Hardwoods or something similar (do a Google). From their website, you will find many unique items (wood) there.

Death Valley is cool, and oh yeah, if you go to the Petrified Forest, check out the nearby Carlsbad Caverns and the Painted Desert. They're way cool to.

San Diego zoo is a must see while in San Diego as it is one of the largest in the world.

I think that's most of the hot spots. Hope it helps some.

Jim Becker
06-11-2003, 4:17 PM
Originally posted by Doug Littlejohn
Death Valley is cool, and oh yeah, if you go to the Petrified Forest, check out the nearby Carlsbad Caverns and the Painted Desert. They're way cool to.

LOL! I suspect that "kewel" is a better way to describe Death Valley, rather than "cool"... :D

Painted Desert is very nice...and free. We were there at sunset, too. Amazing.

Kevin Gerstenecker
06-11-2003, 6:10 PM
Jim hit the nail on the head, (pardon the poor pun!) the Painted Desert is a must see, and it is absolutely breathtaking near sunset. It rates right up there as the most beautiful thing of natural beauty I have ever seen. IMHO, right up there with the Grand Canyon and the American and Canadian Falls at Niagra. Have a wonderful and safe journey. We will of course be expecting a full report on the cool sightings during your travels. :D

Jim Becker
06-11-2003, 6:18 PM
Originally posted by Kevin Gersty
Jim hit the nail on the head, (pardon the poor pun!) the Painted Desert is a must see, and it is absolutely breathtaking near sunset.

Attached is a "taste" of the painted desert near sunset. We did the Grand Canyon, but it was crowded and due to some idiot having a hiking accident, half of the place was closed while they flew in a chopper to extricate him to a hospital.

Bruce Page
06-11-2003, 8:01 PM
John, you might check out the “Miraculous Staircase” at the Loretto Chapel in the old town / plaza district of Santa Fe. I have seen it several times and I’m still awed buy the craftsmanship.

Here’s a link for more info: http://www.lorettochapel.com/html/stair.html

Television has done much for psychiatry by spreading information about it, as well as contributing to the need for it. -- Alfred Hitchcock

Jim Baker
06-11-2003, 9:24 PM
The best ice cream shop I have ever been to is on the Coronado Island portion of San Diego. It's called the Moo Town Creamery.

John Piwaron
06-11-2003, 11:18 PM
I remember the painted desert. Many years ago, before kids, LOML and I drove to Yellowstone, then took a left to go to the Grand Canyon, returning via western New Mexico and Colorado.

The deserts out there are pretty amazing. Particularly the area between Page, AZ and The Gap, AZ. Completely flat red sand without a trace of any vegetation, or rocks for that matter. Just sand. I wuz gettin' worried since I hadn't filled up in Page. Oh, and did I say it was July?

Andy Halterman
06-12-2003, 1:10 PM
Zion, Bryce, Paria/Vermillion Cliffs Wilderness and Grand Staircase/Escalante all offer some incredible scenic beauty. Take a short walk down into the Grand Canyon and really get a taste of what that hole is all about.

I'm sure there are some neat WW things to see but I'd much rather take the time to see the sights and walk/ride the trails. I just don't have the same kind of terrain 'round about these parts.

If you'd like some places off the beaten path that are easier to get to, let me know. I've covered alot of ground out that way.

Andy Halterman

Wishing for some desert humidity levels in Hendersonville, NC

ps Pic is of "The Wave" in Paria/Vermillion Cliffs Wilderness. A worthy walk it was indeed.

Jim Becker
06-12-2003, 1:28 PM
Originally posted by Andy Halterman
Take a short walk down into the Grand Canyon and really get a taste of what that hole is all about.

This is a nice idea as long as everyone participating is "up to the task". The Grand Canyon trails are quite demanding physically, even though they may look "easy". The vertical component, even for the shorter (partial descent) walk is quite large. And once you are "down"...you have to walk back up!

Doyle Alley
06-12-2003, 4:51 PM
There's a guy in Colorado - Vail or Brekenridge maybe?, that makes some serious vase turnings. Each vase starts out as a 2x2x2 ft sq chunk that he lets age for a year before turning. After rough turning, he lets it age another year before finish turning. Someone posted a picture of his work either on this board or on the Pond before it closed. This guy gets some serious money for his vases and bowls. That would be worth seeing.