PDA

View Full Version : Opening Wooden Plane Loaner Library Today!

Robert Norman
02-06-2016, 3:46 PM
I've been mulling this idea over for a year and today I'm kicking it off!

The concept is pretty straightforward -- borrow any plane you want for any reason you want. Return it when done or within 90 days for most, 60 for some.

If you've never used a wooden plane now's your chance to try a tested user. Smoothers, jacks, moulding planes, tongue and groove sets, hollows and rounds ready to go within a week (most ready now)! You cover shipping, that's it. This is not about money; it's about getting more people making stuff. Every plane has been tested for fit and function and are users. They aren't all pretty but they all work.

So if you:
Wanna try one for giggles and grins
Need a specific profile but don't have it or want to add something new
Have considered making your own mouldings but don't yet have the planes
Want to make your own planes based on a historical example, check out the link in my signature and take a look!

I am an aspiring plane maker and have to come love these old wooden planes. I do not have much shop time currently and these guys just sit when they could be singing.

PS I love metal planes too, just not the sipping charges! Please check it out and let me know what you think if you think of some offers you'd like to see.

I'm putting together a couple smoother & jack sets as well sets of a rabbet plane with H&R pairs (4&8 or 6&10) if I get any interest.

Enjoy your weekends and please feel free to tell me what you think! The box is just for transportation to and from the shop as I sorted out planes.

Forgot to add a link, lol!
https://bvtoolworks.wordpress.com/the-library/

Lasse Hilbrandt
02-06-2016, 3:55 PM
This is a great idea. Good luck with the new library :)

Jim Koepke
02-06-2016, 5:22 PM
Sounds like a big undertaking, but worthwhile.

I Enjoy all kinds of planes as long as they work and aren't just objects made to look like a plane.

I have seen more of those in metal than in wood.

jtk

Robert Norman
02-06-2016, 5:32 PM
I'm not a woodie snob and certainly don't mean to come across that way -- they're just easier to ship and cheaper to acquire. I get loads of them and fix up what can be saved for others to use.
When it comes to HOW another person does their hobby I'm in the "paddle your boat how and where you want" camp. When I started I got some real dud planes which turned me off until I inherited some family heirlooms like a wooden plow and dado, transitional jack and metal smoother. Apparently my great grandfather kept what did the job!

Tony Wilkins
02-06-2016, 5:55 PM
Great good luck!

Jim Koepke
02-06-2016, 6:01 PM
Apparently my great grandfather kept what did the job!

He also apparently kept them in good order at the time.

Many of my wood molding planes needed nothing more than a good honing and maybe minor corrections to a poorly maintained blade.

Hmmmm, sounds like the same problem many of my metallic planes endured before entering my shop.

jtk

Joe A Faulkner
02-06-2016, 7:28 PM
Reminds me of this endeavor that John Coloccia ran for about 10 months back in 2012. I know several of us appreciated the opportunity to have access to his plane for a few weeks for the cost of shipping. Good for you for giving this a go.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?179188-Who-wants-to-try-a-Veritas-Bevel-Up-Smoother

Frederick Skelly
02-06-2016, 7:59 PM
What an incredibly generous thing to do. Thanks Robert!
Fred

Robert Norman
02-06-2016, 8:48 PM
He also apparently kept them in good order at the time.

Many of my wood molding planes needed nothing more than a good honing and maybe minor corrections to a poorly maintained blade.

Hmmmm, sounds like the same problem many of my metallic planes endured before entering my shop.

jtk
After sitting for nearly 60 years you could shave with any of those irons. I haven't used them much but have never had to touch them up either for that matter.

Robert Norman
02-06-2016, 8:51 PM
What an incredibly generous thing to do. Thanks Robert!
Fred
The unplugged community is very generous with time and effort to new people and I welcome the opportunity to pay it forward.

Tom M King
02-06-2016, 10:15 PM
The second from the left at the top-Grecian Ogee with Bead, how wide is it from the quirk to the middle of the bead? If I send you a sash profile, can you check to see if you have a match? The fourth from the left on the bottom looks like a good possibility. I can document the molding and sash I would make from them, if they work for what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot!

Adam Stevens2
02-07-2016, 1:04 AM
I don't suppose you have any jointers? I am considering making a wooden jointer and having access to a functioning model could come in handy.

Robert Norman
02-07-2016, 9:16 AM
I forgot to link to the page like a dummy but https://bvtoolworks.wordpress.com/the-library/ you can see the profiles measured against a grid to give you a better idea.

The second from the left at the top-Grecian Ogee with Bead, how wide is it from the quirk to the middle of the bead? If I send you a sash profile, can you check to see if you have a match? The fourth from the left on the bottom looks like a good possibility. I can document the molding and sash I would make from them, if they work for what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot!

Robert Norman
02-07-2016, 9:21 AM
I do and can arrange a model! I didn't list jointers because there's only 1 and it doesn't fit in a standard USPS box.

Robert Norman
02-07-2016, 9:51 AM
I have 1 and didn't list jointers because they don't fit in standard USPS boxes. I'll post some pics and details if you want since shipping to Atlanta would be cheap.

I don't suppose you have any jointers? I am considering making a wooden jointer and having access to a functioning model could come in handy.

Adam Stevens2
02-07-2016, 3:20 PM
I have 1 and didn't list jointers because they don't fit in standard USPS boxes. I'll post some pics and details if you want since shipping to Atlanta would be cheap.

Robert,

feel free to send me the info via PM.

Chris Hachet
02-08-2016, 8:12 AM
A very generous thing to do. Would like to stat a discussion on wooden planes, as i would like to find an additional Coffin style smoother. Right now I have a single iron Miefer coffin plane that I acquired about 1990 or so. Very useful. but I would like to find a double Iron Wooden plane in the coffin style for a reasonable price.

May have to take you up on the Loner Library type of a thing, as I would love to try some hollows and rounds and a few beading planes.

Robert Norman
02-08-2016, 3:55 PM
A very generous thing to do. Would like to stat a discussion on wooden planes, as i would like to find an additional Coffin style smoother. Right now I have a single iron Miefer coffin plane that I acquired about 1990 or so. Very useful. but I would like to find a double Iron Wooden plane in the coffin style for a reasonable price.

May have to take you up on the Loner Library type of a thing, as I would love to try some hollows and rounds and a few beading planes.

That's the idea! Try a coffin or the horned (both double irons) for giggles. See which you do/don't like and why to make the best decision for your needs moving forward.