PDA

View Full Version : How can I turn this planer shaft?

Erik Holmes
02-06-2016, 1:34 PM
Hello all. I bought a Craftsman model #21758 thickness planer online. It got decent reviews and was on a fire sale through Sears Outlet for $125, marked down from $300. I figured even if it's a little beat up, it's worth it. I picked it up and all looked good, but when I got it home I realized the accompanying bag of parts wasn't included, including the dust collection chute and the crank handle to change the cutting height. I called the store and they said they dont have the parts for it - which is fine. However, it turns out the parts are discontinued. I can fabricate a dust chute, but I don't know what to do about the crank handle. I tried turning it with pliers, and it would not be feasible to do that method. I'm including a picture of the shaft I need to turn. It's round with one flat side. 331123

The outside diameter of the round part is 9 mm and across the flat part is 7.5 mm.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a method to turn this thing? Either somewhere I can find a crank that will work, or maybe a socket or wrench that will turn this thing. I'm sure it's out there, I just don't know what I'm looking for or how to turn it. If I can't figure it out, I guess I'll have to return the planer, but I'd rather not.

Thanks!

Erik Holmes
02-06-2016, 1:42 PM
It looks like this might be called a "D shaft" if that helps.

Brad Shipton
02-06-2016, 1:50 PM
You could probably find a handle that works at McMaster.com

Erik Holmes
02-06-2016, 2:12 PM
Thanks. I don't see anything on there that looks like it would work, but it's also a bit hard to sift through all that stuff. I'm thinking a handle with a round hole for the shaft and set screw to tighten on the flat part would work. It seems like something like that should be out there somewhere.

Erik Holmes
02-06-2016, 2:28 PM
I'm going to see if a casement window crank will work. Still open to other suggestions though.

Lee Schierer
02-06-2016, 2:50 PM
I just checked my Delta 22-560 and the raise/lower shaft on it is 9mm in diameter, is D shaped and uses handle # 903297 Mine doesn't fit into a recess like yours so the hub on the handle might be too large. Here is one source (http://www.repairtoolparts.com//delta-parts/delta-tp400ls-parts/delta-903297-handle-assy) I found that seems to have one.

Erik Holmes
02-06-2016, 3:48 PM
I bet that would work. The diameter of the recess for mine is 7/8". How wide is the hub on your handle? Thanks!

Mike Heidrick
02-06-2016, 4:20 PM
Where do you live?

First thought is 3d print one in abs plastic

Then second idea is grind a flat on a piece of drill rod and make a handle. Weld or pin on the handle to the rod.

Have some

George Bokros
02-06-2016, 4:25 PM
What about ereplsvementpsrts
.com?

Bradley Gray
02-06-2016, 5:50 PM
You might try a piece of tubing that fits over the round - insert a piece of square stock and press or hammer one side flat.

Erik Holmes
02-06-2016, 6:26 PM
Turns out that a casement window crank works just fine. The set screw holds against the flat part. And it cost $3!