PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Plaque-URGENT

Abdul Baseer Hai
09-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Hello All,

I have been asked for a quote on a 8x 10 outdoor plaque by a client.
The plaque has to be mounted outdoors, exposed to the elements and is to commemorate a formally planted tree.
I dont know what material to use (I have a laser engraver only) and what to charge, and how to mount it.

Please help

Abdul

Bruce Volden
09-11-2005, 4:19 PM
I have been asked for a quote on a 8x 10 outdoor plaque by a client.
The plaque has to be mounted outdoors, exposed to the elements and is to commemorate a formally planted tree.
I dont know what material to use (I have a laser engraver only) and what to charge, and how to mount it.

I would use a nice ivory colored piece of Corian, Avonite, Fountainhead, etc..
I would also router a nice profile on the edges and color fill the engraved area/s.
Also, the plaque could have a key slot cut in the back for mounting, (or drill and use counter sunk screws). Since you only have the engraving machine you may have to visit a local cabinet shop to have this done.
Charge????I make my own plaques when called for, something like this should sell for $50 - $75! Good luck Bruce

Abdul Baseer Hai
09-11-2005, 6:53 PM
Bruce

thanks for the reply.
I will try to get a corian blank from a local cabinet shop i know. I can router the edges myself what paint should i use for the fill. I have acrylic paint.
apart from corian, is there any rowmark, IPI or other material I could laser.

Thanks again

Abdul

Ken Frisby
09-11-2005, 8:16 PM
Granite is great for outdoor signs and it can be paint filled.
The perceived value is higher for granite than corian and the actual material cost is less. I have no problem getting $125-$200 for an 8 x 10.

Abdul Baseer Hai
09-11-2005, 9:00 PM
Ken

Granite is also a good idea. how do you paint fill it and what paint should be used (Water proof)

Abdul

Ken Frisby
09-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Abdul,

I apply transfer tape, the tape that is used for vinyl signs, then laser it and then I use spray acrylic if I want a paint fill. Black granite also gives a nice contrast when lasered and paint fill isn't always needed.

Keith Outten
09-12-2005, 7:33 AM
Abdul,

You can use stainless steel engraved with Cermark or Thermark. You can purchase a sheet of brass at a local hardware store and paint then engrave. Rowmark has several brass sheet products and many plastic sheet materials that are suitable to exterior use, the 1/4" sheets that are reverse engravable would work. Clear acrylic is another option and it can be painted, bent and shaped easilly. Laser Lights can be adhered to acrylic sheet then engraved and cut to shape, it makes a really nice exterior sign.

Abdul Baseer Hai
09-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi All

thanks for all the help.
I will let you folks know what i finally end up doing.
thanks again

abdul

Aleta Allen
09-12-2005, 2:47 PM
HI,

I use the plastics outdoors with no plroblem, just get the ones listed for outdoor use.

I would like to know what anyone uses for frames for outdoor signs, especially like mentioned, for a memorial tree planting? Is there some with a stake?

Thanks

Barbara Sample
09-13-2005, 4:36 PM
I use Grandview Aluminum and they have a very nice stand for the back of my granite plaques. the one that I buy is tilted 45 degrees and gives a very nice view of the granite memorial's that I make

the website address is www.gapalum.com
good luck, they are nice to deal with.
Barbara