PDA

View Full Version : Miller Falls 73 miter box saw stops

bob starkey
02-05-2016, 8:48 PM
I have been using this Miller Falls 73 miter box for a little while. Great saw now use it more then the power miter saw.

I have not got the hang of HOW to use the saw stops. I can get along with out using them but feel I'm missing out.

Anyone used this type tool to say the stops work well?

Matt Evans
02-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Looks like mine, just with more original finish left. The stops are great, but have limited use in your day to day sawing, unless doing lots of dados and tenons and what not. I will take a photo tomorrow of mine using the stops if I can remember to. Pictures will do a lot better job explaining than I can write out, I think.

Tony Zaffuto
02-06-2016, 7:40 AM
Adjust the lower slides up to where you want the tooth line to stop. I would slao put a sacrificial piece of wood on the table, though you would have to drill the table.

Nicholas Lawrence
02-06-2016, 8:52 AM
Do you have the manual? Somebody (Jim Koepke maybe) posted one a while ago. It discusses the stops in the context of making sure the saw does not hit metal on the bottom of the cut. I don't know if they are intended to be a practical depth stop in terms of stopping a particular cut at a certain depth. I have a copy of the manual I downloaded, but I can't figure out how to attach it to this post.

Tony Zaffuto
02-06-2016, 8:56 AM
No manual-experiment by laying a pice of scrap under the stock you are cutting, to learn how the stops work.

bob starkey
02-06-2016, 11:03 AM
The manual exist on OWWM in publication section. I have just not got the stops to line up and still snug up to the columns as it describes.
The front and back look the same and both use a special washer. The parts are all there just seem to fit wrong.

Denny Tudor
02-06-2016, 2:07 PM
I have the all steel model .

here is good site for all kinds of info and also manual is available at badaxtools

https://sites.google.com/site/langdonmitreboxes/

Nicholas Lawrence
02-06-2016, 2:42 PM
That is a very helpful sight Denny, thank you for linking to it.

Denny Tudor
02-06-2016, 3:47 PM
SeYou're welcome. Only thing mine is missing is the length guage, but I can't remember seeing that on anyone's I have seen photos of. I just got mine and got it off Craig's list. For $15 !!!! Complete with great condition saw 26x4. I assume it is orgibal diston even though saw nut medallion was broke off. I had an old diston I used the nut from.

Glen Canaday
02-06-2016, 4:42 PM
I want the stops! I have a 73A missing all its "little bits" :(

Anyone make repros?

bob starkey
02-06-2016, 4:54 PM
Thanks Danny. That site has the info I was looking for. I gave $70 for my miter box with matching MF saw and was happy to get one in good shape. I just had a very old Tyzack back saw serviced by Bad Axe Tools and they did a very good job. I may send this Miller Falls saw to them next.

Glen Canaday
02-06-2016, 5:15 PM
OH, those stops. I thought he meant the length stops.

The depth stops can be set with a block of the correct thickness. Set the saw in the guides on top of the block, then adjust the stops upward until they support the saw's weight. Tighten the stops under the saw and there ya go.

I do the same thing for a through cut. Loosen the stops and let the saw bottom out. Lift the guide until it isn't resting in the track anymore but is still below the surface of the bed. Tighten.

I think this is the method in the manual. I can't remember.

Matt Evans
02-06-2016, 10:35 PM
Bob,

Apparently some intelligent past owner modified my miter box by slotting the heads of the knurled screws. I always thought that was done factory, and just keep a screw driver handy.

You do need to crank down on them a little to get them to stay.