PDA

View Full Version : A couple new smoothers

Steve Voigt
02-05-2016, 2:24 PM
It's been a long time since I posted any planes, so here are a couple hot off the presses (so to speak).

These planes are a little bit special. Most of the beech I get is very nice, but these came from a stick I got from Isaac at Blackburn tools. I think he said it had been air-drying in a barn for decades when he found it…it has a color and depth that exceeds any other beech I've worked. I could hardly bear to let it go! Anyway, enjoy!

Lasse Hilbrandt
02-05-2016, 2:28 PM
Very nice :)

Judson Green
02-05-2016, 3:04 PM
Very pretty!

Chris Hachet
02-05-2016, 3:16 PM
I really need to step up to the plate and either build or buy another wooden plane or two.

Brian Holcombe
02-05-2016, 3:45 PM
Absolutely gorgeous Steve!

george wilson
02-05-2016, 3:57 PM
Very neat work!! But,HOW did you make them with a press?????

Stewie Simpson
02-05-2016, 5:31 PM
Wonderful work Steve.

Frederick Skelly
02-05-2016, 5:42 PM
Beautiful work Steve!

Derek Cohen
02-05-2016, 8:02 PM
Very striking, Steve. The Krenov laminations barely show. :)

That is crisp work.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jeff Bartley
02-05-2016, 8:44 PM
Those look great Steve! I hope I get to see them in person before they leave town!

ken hatch
02-05-2016, 11:35 PM
Steve,

Beautiful. As with most things in life, timing is everything.

From the shavings I would guess they work as well as they look.

ken

Christopher Charles
02-06-2016, 12:08 AM
Beautiful work that fully honors the quality of the wood. Will make a couple folk quite happy!

Jim Koepke
02-06-2016, 12:12 AM
Very nice, I am looking forward to building some planes myself.

Posts like this are inspiring.

Thanks for sharing.

jtk

Pat Barry
02-06-2016, 8:39 AM
Nice! Your work is superb.

Steve Voigt
02-06-2016, 9:39 AM
Thanks so much for all the nice comments, Lasse, Judson, Brian, Stewie, Fred, Christopher, Jim, and Pat (sorry if I forgot anyone).

Very neat work!! But,HOW did you make them with a press?????

George: :D
Actually, I've thought seriously about making a press for my name stamp. I hate beating on it with a 5 lb hammer--it's the most stressful part of the build. Actually, I just need a better stamp. :rolleyes:

Very striking, Steve. The Krenov laminations barely show. :)

Thanks Derek, you'll burn in hell for that!! :p

Steve,

Beautiful. As with most things in life, timing is everything.

You got that right, Ken! ;)

Those look great Steve! I hope I get to see them in person before they leave town!

Jeff, sorry, they went in the flat-rate boxes yesterday. They'll be plenty others though!

george wilson
02-06-2016, 10:36 AM
I see you made little bevels where the wedges enter their tapered slots,to keep cracks from starting.

What I have done is carefully and SLIGHTLY plane a bit more taper on the wedges at their places where they enter the slots. Too small to notice,but this keeps the wedges from bursting the slots at their tops. I like the terminus of the slots to be nice and sharp.

I never liked the rather blah coffin shape of 18th. C. planes were were issued to copy. When I am on my own,and want to make a coffin smoother,I draw a shape that is narrower at the rear than at the front,swelling to maximum where the wedge is at it's top. This is a 19th. C. shape I have seen on some English planes. I think it adds a lot to the simple shape. I must confess,back when I could buy coffin smoothers for $4.00 in the Pennsylvania flea markets,I'd alter their shapes if they were too wide to suit me at their rear ends. That's a big no no,I realize!! These days a coffin smoother of decent condition might be more like $75.00,it seems.

Picture #1 shows the shape I refer to in the handles of these 2 gouges I made many years ago. At the ferrule end they are thinner than at the other end. The larger end would be the front end of my ideal smoother shape. The next picture are hook knives I made. I wish I could delete this picture as the handles are not as ideal as the first picture. But,when I go to delete 1 picture,sometimes the whole bunch goes with it!

The steel toed smoother is one I made out of a regular English coffin smoother. It is a common type of plane(at least back then) which I did not mind altering. I looked and looked for a steel toed smoother back in the 70's. Old Mr. Simms(of the Roy's show old tool chest).prized his above all other smoothers. You can make the mouth as thin as you want as the toe is moveable. In England I finally found one. But,it was in derelict condition,and they wanted 200 POUNDS for it! This plane already had developed a crack at the wedge as you can see. Unfortunately I don't have a full top view of it,but it is one that I altered the shape of. It has served very well for nearly 40 years by now,with the steel toe.

The dark plane is a plane I would NEVER touch to alter. It is made of CURLY APPLEWOOD,which has become a beautiful dark color as only applewood can! It isn't my ideal shape,but must be left alone. I forget the maker,but it is English.

Lasse Hilbrandt
02-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Steve. What about a stamp that burns instead of punshing?

Robert Norman
02-06-2016, 4:09 PM
I hope to make some half that nice one day!
Absolutlely beautiful and functional

Gary Cunningham
02-06-2016, 7:57 PM
Beautiful.

Allen Jordan
02-07-2016, 1:05 PM
I would love to use one of these, they look very well made.