PDA

View Full Version : Sanding in a narrow, difficult to reach situation

Roger Lueck
02-05-2016, 1:32 PM
I have tall narrow container that needs the 4 inside corners where the sides meet and the corners where the sides meet the bottom of the container to be re-sealed with a 2 part marine epoxy. The container can not be dis-assembled and the cost of a new container is more than can be justified at this time.

The problem: I need to sand these corners to achieve a mechanical bond with the epoxy. The container is 24" x 18" x 2" which does not permit conventional power sanding equipment to be used inside the container. One end of the container is open, that opening measures 2" x 18", the container is 24" deep.

My initial assessment is the sanding will need to performed manually using a long 2 x 2 with PSA sanding paper attached. The intent is to use this for the corners where the sides are joined. To sand the corners where the sides are joined to the bottom, a 6" long 2x2 foot will be attached to the end of either a 2x2 or 2x4. The foot will be made to allow it to pivot to keep the bottom of the foot with the sand paper attached intact with the surface that is being sanded.

I'm searching for a viable alternative that someone may have used previously for a similar application.