PDA

View Full Version : The Red Planet

Steve Doerr
02-04-2016, 10:27 PM
The Red Planet
Today at 21:04:15

This is a piece of fiddleback maple that I dyed black, sanded back, and then dyed red. The finish is WOP and then has been Beall buffed. The finial and pedestal are ebonized cherry. It is 8"W x 1"H (including finial and pedestal). My picture is not as good as I would like, it still has some reflection/glare that I would like to get rid of. C&C welcome.

Bob Bergstrom
02-04-2016, 10:49 PM
Beautiful form. Nice repeat of stand in the finial. Really like this pice.

Roger Chandler
02-04-2016, 11:03 PM
VERY well done, Steve! Details are crisp in the finial & pedestal. Proportions look good [base, height of pedestal, etc]. And your color scheme is a good looking combination. This form displays your attention to detail, creativity, skillset, and sense of the aesthetic...........bravo!

Michelle Rich
02-05-2016, 6:28 AM
the finial and base are terrific..thin/clean and in good proportion. The body is a great shape too...I like it a lot.

daryl moses
02-05-2016, 7:05 AM
Very, very nice. Great job!!

john snowdon
02-05-2016, 7:39 AM
Beautifully done, Steve. The finial and base are exquisite and I like the treatment of the fiddleback. Very inspiring!

Rich Aldrich
02-05-2016, 9:33 PM
Nice work. Very impressive.

Doug Ladendorf
02-05-2016, 10:22 PM
All of the above and terrific work with the dye and finish. Well done all around.

Doug

Allan Ferguson
02-06-2016, 9:15 AM
Very impressive in all aspects. Best keep it in a secure cabinet.

Steve Doerr
02-06-2016, 9:23 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I really appreciate the comments on the finial and the pedestal. I worked really hard to try and get the two pieces to match. I watched one of Cindy Drozda's DVDs and found it to be very helpful in the area of tool technique and in creating the design.

This piece is going to be in an auction for one of the area artists coalition's fundraising galas. I'm hoping it will bring in some good money for the group, and myself, since I do get a percentage of the final sales price:D. So last night I took it to an open house that the gallery I'm part of to show the other gallery members. The other members of the gallery really liked it. Several of them commented about how delicate it looked and then added they would be afraid that if they owned it that it would get knocked over and broke:eek:. Hopefully, not everyone will have that fear at the gala auction.