PDA

View Full Version : Yorkcraft Jointer

Robert Wachtell
02-04-2016, 6:00 PM
Last summer I bought a used Yorkcraft 8" jointer. While the jointer was hardly used it has a little corrosion on it underneath. The in feed table seems to be frozen to the main body of the jointer. I am unable to get it moving up or down. I have used a lot of PB blaster and tried to get it in the dovetail joint, but still no budge.

I only paid $250 for it but I am now afraid I am going to have to pay that to throw it away.

Any suggestions, other then making certain the table moves on the next one I buy.

Thanks Rob

Erik Loza
02-04-2016, 6:03 PM
Let it sit with PB Blaster or Kroil for a few days, then torch it and see if it budges?

Erik

keith wootton
02-04-2016, 6:21 PM
are you sure there isn't a locking mechanism that needs to be loosened before adjusting table?

Myk Rian
02-04-2016, 6:23 PM
are you sure there isn't a locking mechanism that needs to be loosened before adjusting table?
That, or the gib adjusters are too tight. Look on the back of the table.

Robert Wachtell
02-04-2016, 6:57 PM

Well the manual for this jointer is a partial clone of the Delta Jointer and it is written in "Chinese English" which means "I am not sure about any locking mechanism"

Wish I new somebody with this jointer or the Delta 8" jointer.

Robert Wachtell
02-04-2016, 6:59 PM
I took the gib screws out for the purpose of shooting PB blaster in them.

Myk Rian
02-04-2016, 7:21 PM
Maybe you can find a better manual under Wilke Machinery. They did go out of business from what I've read.

Jim Andrew
02-04-2016, 7:44 PM
If you have some hydraulic oil, put that in the holes. Hydraulic oil kindof absorbs moisture.

Robert Wachtell
02-04-2016, 8:31 PM
Thanks all

I got in feed table to move. One of the three Gig screws was not all the way out. Two of them backed out by finger roll. The other I needed to use the Allen wrench on to back out.

PB blaster helped too.

Rob

Don Jarvie
02-04-2016, 9:03 PM
Download the manual from grizzly or jet. The jointer is very similar to those.

Robert Wachtell
02-04-2016, 9:33 PM
By the way, I'm looking for a good oil to put on this machine to keep it from rusting. Something I can also put on top of the tables too and not muck up my lumber. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Don Jarvie
02-05-2016, 3:16 PM
Paste wax. You can use it for the table movements also.

You may want to take it completely apart and clean everything. Use a wire wheel on all of the bare metal and bolts etc. Paste wax everything and put it back together. I have a grinder with a course and fine wire wheel to clean everything. You can then set it according to the manual. It could be a good time to get new knives.

Myk Rian
02-05-2016, 6:29 PM
By the way, I'm looking for a good oil to put on this machine to keep it from rusting. Something I can also put on top of the tables too and not muck up my lumber. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Oil? Nope. Paste wax.
NO silicon.