PDA

View Full Version : shopping for 8" jointer

Mike Walsh
02-04-2016, 12:55 PM
I'm looking to upgrade from an old 6" (finicky) Delta jointer to an 8" machine with a helical head. Have been using an old (green) Powermatic 60 with a Byrd head in a class, which is amazing. From what I've read in forums and reviews, the newer Powermatics aren't what they used to be, but the 60HH model seems to get very good review. I've also been looking at the Oliver 4230, which seems comarable to Powermatic's 60HH

Anyone have any thoughts on these 2 machines - or other 8" models in similar price range?

Thanks,
Mike

Will Boulware
02-04-2016, 1:29 PM
Since you know you like it, have you thought about finding a Powermatic 60 and adding the helical head? (Or using it with the straight knives for a while and seeing if you even need the HH?)

Mike Walsh
02-04-2016, 1:42 PM
yes, I've been looking for the past few months and PM60's are not easy to find within driving distance. Having used the same machine with straighknives and the HH, I definitely want the HH

Scott Brandstetter
02-04-2016, 1:47 PM
I'll go ahead and say it. I have an 8 inch Grizzly that initially had straight knives and since I've upgraded to a helical head, and I could not be happier. It has performed perfectly for me and I cannot imagine what else I could want in an 8 inch planer.

John TenEyck
02-04-2016, 3:24 PM
My advise is to go bigger. 8" just isn't that much wider than a 6". Yes, you'll be impressed if the machine is longer, heavier, smoother than what you have now, but it's still only an 8". I know many folks are happy with that and if you are, too, fine, but if you are going to upgrade I say make it a real upgrade. I had a 10" for 25 years. I was always happy I had that extra width but still wished for wider many times. I finally found a used Mini Max FS35 (14") J/P last year and the added capacity is most welcome. I wouldn't want anything smaller than 12" honestly.

So think about whether or not that 8" one is going to satisfy you 5 or 10 years down the road. If the answer is "I'm not sure." then go bigger. Maybe sell your current jointer and planer and get a J/P unit, where it's easier (at least in my mind) to justify the helical head. Big jointer, and smaller footprint than two machines. And new is nice, but used is a lot more cost effective. I regularly see really old 12" and wider jointers for sale for cheap, often a few hundred $'s. If you have a street level shop one of them could be a real bargain.

Just sayin'.

John

bob cohen
02-04-2016, 4:16 PM
I have had the powermatic pj882 for just over two years having previously owned the comparable grizzly G0490, with helical head. The grizzly is good, but the powermatic is better.

Jebediah Eckert
02-04-2016, 4:45 PM
I have the G0490x and am happy with it. I have had it for two years and shopped the major brands. There was a huge price difference from what I remember. It's easier to say go bigger and bigger but that depends on your situation of course. It wasn't so much the price difference to go to 12" but the size, weight, and movability. Obviously heavier is better for use but not if you have to move it into a basement, and maybe rearrange your shop once or twice. I have yet to wish I went larger. Just yesterday I had a 14" curly cherry board I was having a time with flattening by hand. I took the guard off the jointer and flattened the first 8", brought it to the bench and flattened the rest in 5 minutes. Way easier then getting a half ton machine into my shop.

Those combo machines certainly look nice although I have not used one. Im not sure of my needs 10 years down the road, it would only be a guess, so 8" worked for me. If space, logistics, and costs aren't a factor real wide is nice, also so you can skew the board as you go across.

Good luck.

glenn bradley
02-04-2016, 4:53 PM
yes, I've been looking for the past few months and PM60's are not easy to find within driving distance. Having used the same machine with straighknives and the HH, I definitely want the HH

After running a knifed machine, and insert head was one of my non-negiable items when I went shopping. After adjusting dovetail ways I also swore I would settle for nothing other than a parallelogram design. Different things are important to different people. Insert head, p-beds, long beds, tall fence were all on my list.

I have had the powermatic pj882 for just over two years having previously owned the comparable grizzly G0490, with helical head. The grizzly is good, but the powermatic is better.

For the extra cash it should be :). It is when you pay the extra and don't really get anything that it hurts. Most makers have the one or two things they do better than the other guy. This works out well for those of us who are color blind ;-) Some machines are worth the extra, some are not. I have a drill press I wish I would have taken a pass on. My jointer and planer make me smile. List your requirements, find the one or two machines that fit that list and then choose.

Tom M King
02-04-2016, 5:11 PM
Out of curiosity, I just checked craigslist in Mass., and there are a Lot to choose from up there, including two 12" Powermatics, and several 8"ers. https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/tls/5431115544.html

Mike Walsh
02-04-2016, 8:03 PM
thanks, but I think your looking at Albany, NY Craigslist - there are a few 12" and wider machines in Boston area, but they'd be tight fit in my basement shop. I've been watching the local Craigslist for a few months and don't see 8" machines in reasonable condition very often

Anyone have experience with the newer Oliver jointers?

Bill Space
02-04-2016, 9:10 PM
First off, going for a 12 inch jointer would be a nice idea if you can afford it and have space for it. No argument there…

I don't have any experience with newer Oliver jointers, but it seems like today any new machine, produced under an old brand-name, is not truly comparable with what was produced under that name in the past.

I'm another G0490X jointer. All I can say is I'm a happy camper and feel this jointer gives a very good bang for the buck.

I do sometimes wish I had a 12 inch jointer though, or wider!

Can't help but think that if I would buy a 12 inch or wider jointer that it would be another grizzly…I am that satisfied.

Bill

Eric Anderson
02-04-2016, 10:35 PM
I have the Powermatic 60HH, and it is a great machine. Came perfectly aligned out of the box (crate). It is very heavy and relatively quiet with the Shelix head. Dust collection is excellent. Fit and finish is excellent. Don't have a single complaint. I replaced an old woodtek 6" and it was like night and day. Would I like a bigger, yes, but I'm already out of space and anything bigger just wouldn't fit. But the difference between 6" and 8" seems much larger than the 2". The 60HH has a very long bed and that makes a real difference. Also, I can more easily keep my wood to 8" or less without too much problem. Can't say enough good about the Powermatic. Just bought the PM1500 band saw and it is also a great piece of equipment.

David Kumm
02-05-2016, 12:55 AM
If I was looking in MA, I'd buy the Northfield medium duty 12" retrofitted with a Byrd head for sale there. Dave