PDA

View Full Version : White Oak bowl

Leo Van Der Loo
02-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Finish returned this White Oak bowl after it has sat for several years, and made a couple of pictures a fe days ago.

I always liked the smell of Oak being sawn or worked, reminding me of the sawmill from my best friends family that specialized in European White Oak, as Red Oak is not a Native European species, thouhg has been planted widely shortly after the second WW, and is now being eradicated most everywhere.

This one is 11.5” X about 3.5”, made to be a user bowl, but that is also nice enough to be a center piece :).

All comments welcome :D.

330996 330997 330998 330999 331000

Aaron Craven
02-04-2016, 1:34 PM
Lovely work.. I really like the simple classic shape for this piece. What is your finishing process?

I have a bunch of fresh-cut oak stock (not sure if mine is red or white oak, though) that I'm looking forward to working with. None of it is quite this big, but then I'm limited in theory to a 12" diameter (which really comes to 10-11" in practice). My plan is to use a shape very similar to this on at least some of them, though what I plan and what I create are rarely in complete agreement.

I also very much like the smell of oak... light and sweet.

daryl moses
02-04-2016, 1:52 PM
As always, great looking bowl Leo.

Sid Matheny
02-04-2016, 2:43 PM
That is a great looking bowl Leo and would sure make a wonderful center piece for anyone!

Leo Van Der Loo
02-05-2016, 2:22 AM
Lovely work.. I really like the simple classic shape for this piece. What is your finishing process?

I have a bunch of fresh-cut oak stock (not sure if mine is red or white oak, though) that I'm looking forward to working with. None of it is quite this big, but then I'm limited in theory to a 12" diameter (which really comes to 10-11" in practice). My plan is to use a shape very similar to this on at least some of them, though what I plan and what I create are rarely in complete agreement.

I also very much like the smell of oak... light and sweet.

Thanks Aaron for looking and the reply :D, both Oak types can look good, but the smell of Red Oak I never liked, still when dry that smell is gone.

Don’t overtax your little lathe, Oak can be kind of tough to turn, just take your time and keep at it, good luck :)

Leo Van Der Loo
02-05-2016, 2:24 AM
As always, great looking bowl Leo.

Thank you Daryl :D, I keep doing my best with all this pretty wood, it does deserve it I think ;)

Leo Van Der Loo
02-05-2016, 2:26 AM
That is a great looking bowl Leo and would sure make a wonderful center piece for anyone!

Hi Sid, thank you :D, yes I hope it gets a good new owner, should last a long time :)

Pat Scott
02-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Beautiful bowl. There's something about a nice, clean, proportionate, well executed bowl that is just beautiful. What kind of finish?

Leo Van Der Loo
02-05-2016, 11:08 PM
Beautiful bowl. There's something about a nice, clean, proportionate, well executed bowl that is just beautiful. What kind of finish?

Thanks for replying Pat :), my usual, that is Polymerized Tung oil from Lee Valley.

Doug Herzberg
02-06-2016, 7:37 AM
Like everyone else said, nice bowl, Leo.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-06-2016, 10:41 AM
Like everyone else said, nice bowl, Leo.

And I thank you Doug for your kind reply :), and another off of the pile to be enjoyed by someone somewhere :)

Mike Schnorr
02-06-2016, 11:01 AM
The color is fantastic! I especially like the rays!! I'm hoping to set up my lathe again in the spring (just finishing up on a new shop so it is stuck in the basement for a few more months). Thanks for the inspiration!

Barry Richardson
02-06-2016, 8:43 PM
Beautiful bowl! I like the smell of white oak too, cause it reminds me of bourbon....

Leo Van Der Loo
02-06-2016, 10:01 PM
The color is fantastic! I especially like the rays!! I'm hoping to set up my lathe again in the spring (just finishing up on a new shop so it is stuck in the basement for a few more months). Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks for commenting Mike :), Oak is a nicer wood than many give it credit for, I certainly like turning it as well as other woods :D

Leo Van Der Loo
02-06-2016, 10:08 PM
Beautiful bowl! I like the smell of white oak too, cause it reminds me of bourbon....

HaHaha, well any good reason to like White Oak, thanks for commenting Barry 331140 :)