PDA

View Full Version : Lower power tube require PS replacement?

Alan Carrier
02-04-2016, 12:24 PM
If I purchase one of the Chinese lasers (G.Weike, Redsail, or Shenhui) with a Reci S4 100W tube, could I change it later to a lower wattage tube (80W or 60W) without replacing the power supply? I know that changing to a higher wattage tube would require a new power supply, but not sure if going to a smaller tube would require the power supply to be changed.

I am looking into importing one of these machines for hobby use and was considering ordering it with the S4 tube for cutting. However, I understand that 100W may be too large for the best engraving on one of these machines. If I started doing mostly engraving, which is possible, I may consider changing the S4 to a lower powered tube later.

Also, are there any differences in quality of the machines sold by these three companies (G.Weike, Redsail, Shenhui)?

Thanks!

Bert Kemp
02-04-2016, 7:01 PM
You also might want to check out King Rabbit. Generally speaking one of the best Chinese Lasers. Cost a little more but a better built machine. If your in the USA and you don't want to import yourself take a look at Rabbit Laser USA. Also Thunder Laser is pretty well respected.

Alan Carrier
02-06-2016, 8:31 AM
If I purchase one of the Chinese lasers (G.Weike, Redsail, or Shenhui) with a Reci S4 100W tube, could I change it later to a lower wattage tube (80W or 60W) without replacing the power supply? I know that changing to a higher wattage tube would require a new power supply, but not sure if going to a smaller tube would require the power supply to be changed.

I am looking into importing one of these machines for hobby use and was considering ordering it with the S4 tube for cutting. However, I understand that 100W may be too large for the best engraving on one of these machines. If I started doing mostly engraving, which is possible, I may consider changing the S4 to a lower powered tube later.

Also, are there any differences in quality of the machines sold by these three companies (G.Weike, Redsail, Shenhui)?

Thanks!

Does anyone know?

John Noell
02-06-2016, 3:24 PM
The main issue is how much current the tube can handle. Going to a lower wattage tube means using less power (or you will burn out the tube). My understanding is that you can open virtually all power supplies and find a pot that can be turned down so maximum power is not too high. Dave Sheldrake is the one who can definitively answer your questions.

Rich Harman
02-06-2016, 4:55 PM
I think there is also an issue with the triggering voltage. I would guess that going from 100W to 80W may be doable but 100W to 60W, probably not.

When I asked a similar question about using my 130W power supply on an 80W tube, the answer was no. So now I have two power supplies hooked up in my machine.

Alan Carrier
02-06-2016, 6:06 PM
Thanks John and Rich. I was hoping I could go to a lower watt tube withough changing the power supply. It's probably best to just stay at 100W.

Now all I have to do is make a vendor decision and order one!

Thanks again.

Alan