PDA

View Full Version : Problems posting from Firefox

Alex Yeilding
09-11-2005, 12:12 AM
When I enter a message from Firefox, it shows up fine in the message window, but upon hitting preview or submit, I get a page that tells me that my message is too short, and must contain at least 10 characters! And everything in the message window (except quoted material from the message to which I was replying) is gone!

Anyone else having such a problem? Not having the same problem on any other forums or sites I visit.

Jim Becker
09-11-2005, 1:05 AM
No problem here...and I've been using Firefox for quite some time now. Be sure you are using the latest version (1.0.6) and that you have told the browser that SMC is a "good guy". You need pop-ups and cookies to work properly.

JayStPeter
09-11-2005, 9:07 AM
I have no problems with Firefox except when I use one of the message shortcuts (i.e. smilies or "Insert Link"). The cursor and message automagically scroll to the bottom when I enter. No problem if that's where I was, but kind of annoying when editing a long post. The tabs and lack of spyware since changing from IE definitely make that minor annoyance worthwhile.
Like Jim said, I did have to enable cookies to get many sites to work (Tools->Options->privacy+cookies).

Jay

Jim Becker
09-11-2005, 9:52 AM
Jay, I have no issues with inserting links (http://sawmillcreek.org) or "smilies" :) with Firefox. Perhaps there is some other setting that is awry.;) Are you using 1.0.6?

Rich Konopka
09-11-2005, 2:55 PM
I too have been using Firefox for a while with no problemo. Check to see if it is some extension that may be causing you the grief.

Alex Yeilding
09-11-2005, 3:01 PM
Thanks, Jim and Jay, but still no luck. Must be a quirk in my setup--maybe some extension I am running is misbehaving.

I have no problems with Firefox except when I use one of the message shortcuts (i.e. smilies or "Insert Link"). The cursor and message automagically scroll to the bottom when I enter. No problem if that's where I was, but kind of annoying when editing a long post.
I've noticed the same in another forum, and had assumed it was a quirk of the forum software. Never tried that forum in IE.

The tabs and lack of spyware since changing from IE definitely make that minor annoyance worthwhile.
You're "preaching to the choir" there! I absolutely HATE it when I have to revert to IE for something (like typing this message).

Like Jim said, I did have to enable cookies to get many sites to work (Tools->Options->privacy+cookies).
I already had cookies allowed, and the popup blocker did not make a difference. But I see this message in my java console:
Error: uncaught exception: Permission denied to set property HTMLDocument.designMode
and
Error: [Exception... "'Permission denied to get property XULElement.selectedIndex' when calling method: [nsIAutoCompletePopup::selectedIndex]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "JS frame :: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/clientscript/vbulletin_wysiwyg.js :: wysiwyg_init :: line 312" data: no]
Source File: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/clientscript/vbulletin_wysiwyg.js
Line: 312

Sounds like it might be time for a trip to firefox forums. Any ohter suggestions from here?

Alex Yeilding
09-11-2005, 3:08 PM
I too have been using Firefox for a while with no problemo. Check to see if it is some extension that may be causing you the grief.

I suspected the same thing, so have deactivated all my extensions. If this appears on the board, that was the culprit, and I will post back an info posting when I find out which one.

Alex Yeilding
09-11-2005, 3:54 PM
It was the extension "Always remember password" that over-rides a web page's direction to not remember password. Udated the extesnsion from v0.1.1 to v0.2, but still no joy. I will notify the author of the problem.

On web site for the extension was this notice (which I had obviously forgotten):

Note: This extension uses javascript which may affect other forms in web sites, such as a forum’s “quick reply” feature, gmail-related links, or other javascript-enabled submission calls. If you notice web pages behaving strangely after you install it, then you can disable or uninstall it and they will return to normal. Still working on ironing out the kinks, so treat this as a beta release.

JayStPeter
09-11-2005, 5:57 PM
I have to admit, I have zero extensions.

Jim, now that I'm playing with it I can't get it to happen. :rolleyes: :confused:

Jay