PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: Cleaning up an old jointer

Tim Cooper Louisiana
02-03-2016, 9:42 AM
Hello,

I always like to start of posts saying that I'm pretty new to woodworking. I'm trying to clean up the top of a friend's Grizzly jointer. I thought it had rust all over it, but I'm not sure if it's really rust - as its all black. I've sprayed it with lots of WD 40 Rust Release, and then tried medium steel wool, those green scrubbing pads (scotch rite?). I bought a 150 grit nylon cup brush and used my drill. I used my ROS with the green pads. I tried Barkeeper's friend as well. Nothing seems to be working. Whatever these spots are, they are raised..so the bed of the jointer isn't smooth at all. I think bed is the right term :)

Mark Wooden
02-03-2016, 9:58 AM
If the spots are raised,they're spots of rust. Use a single edge razor blade in a scraper handle to scrape them off, then use a red ScotchBrite pad with mineral spirits to clean the bed off. Once smooth, wax the bed with a good paste wax. (I like Butchers)
Don't try getting the dark stains out, you'll dish the bed trying, only time and repeated cleanings does it. There are a lot of pretty corrosive things that get spilled on shop equipment that you wouldn't think can be damaging to cast iron- Coca Cola comes to mind.

Dave Haughs
02-03-2016, 10:26 AM
Mine was similar a few years back when I rescued it. I used Boeshield Rust Free on it. There are VERY slight pits where the rust was, but it has no effect on my use of the machine. Like Mark said, just get it clean and protect it. Don't worry what it looks like so much as making it flat and smooth.

Prashun Patel
02-03-2016, 10:28 AM
Try treating a spot or two with Naval Jelly. That product will dull the sheen though. So, be prepared to re-polish the surface if necessary.

That is an odd pattern for such stubborn rust. It's rough like rust, right? Not gummy or smooth and hard. Can you flake of shards with a screw driver?

Michael Sloop
02-03-2016, 8:39 PM
What they said 👆. Agree with razor blade approach. I've restored several table saws and learned that appearance doesn't matter, just focus on a smooth, flat surface.

Erik Loza
02-04-2016, 10:04 AM
I've seen that exact same corrosion in cases where something like a plastic sheet was laid over the table surface and left there for a long period. Moisture condenses, cannot evaporate, etc. Probably a previous owner "thought" they were protecting the table surfaces.

Erik