PDA

View Full Version : Is Monster lathe tools still in up and running?

Rick Bailey
02-02-2016, 10:53 PM
Three phone calls and three emails.
No response.:confused:
Just bought a nice rig from a fellow creeker and I'll need some extra parts .
You guys and Gals know something I may not know?:o

Thanks,
Rick

Kyle Iwamoto
02-03-2016, 1:29 AM
I hope they continue to manufacture. It would be sad if they stopped. :( Last time I ordered stuff from them, it did take a while. That was 6 months ago, I think. Interesting, I used my rig today. I like it. I can hollow all day. No physical stress.

What parts did you want to get? Some other peoples' parts fit in the rig. Just need a shaft the same size.

Rick Bailey
02-03-2016, 12:26 PM
I hope they continue to manufacture. It would be sad if they stopped. :( Last time I ordered stuff from them, it did take a while. That was 6 months ago, I think. Interesting, I used my rig today. I like it. I can hollow all day. No physical stress.

What parts did you want to get? Some other peoples' parts fit in the rig. Just need a shaft the same size.

Need a new base,
The rig was on a 16'', I need one for a 22''.
It's the Grizzly G0766.

Roger Chandler
02-03-2016, 2:17 PM
Need a new base,
The rig was on a 16'', I need one for a 22''.
It's the Grizzly G0766.I have almost the same issue, as my former lathe was 18"swing, and now I have the 22" G0766.
I was thinking about building up the base platform with either a solid aluminum block and bolt it to the base, but will try it with wood to see how the concept works. I doubt I will need to hollow anything over 18" in diameter, so I think my Monster articulated unit will be just fine on the bigger 0766 with an upgraded base.I will have to make sure to make a tenon on it to fit between the lathe ways as well.

Rick Bailey
02-03-2016, 2:28 PM
I have almost the same issue, as my former lathe was 18"swing, and now I have the 22" G0766.
I was thinking about building up the base platform with either a solid aluminum block and bolt it to the base, but will try it with wood to see how the concept works. I doubt I will need to hollow anything over 18" in diameter, so I think my Monster articulated unit will be just fine on the bigger 0766 with an upgraded base.I will have to make sure to make a tenon on it to fit between the lathe ways as well.

I was thinking the same thing,
So if my base is for a 16'' I would have to build it up 3" correct?

Roger Chandler
02-03-2016, 2:57 PM
I was thinking the same thing,
So if my base is for a 16'' I would have to build it up 3" correct?
Yes......3 inches would give you the 22" swing. Mine will need to be built up 2 inches to make the 22" swing. I would highly recommend hardwood like hard maple.....preferably kiln dried. Might not even need to go to an aluminum riser. Good luck with it Rick.

Rick Bailey
02-03-2016, 3:08 PM
Thanks Roger,
I need to stop by the GGMG and introduce my self.:D

Michael Schneider
02-03-2016, 3:21 PM
It looks like they are taking a break. They seem have done that last fall for a month.

............ From their front page ...........................

Important Note: Please Read

We are currently not accepting any new tool orders at this time. Please check back soon.We truly appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Many thanks,
Todd and Michelle
info@monster-lathe-tools.com (info@monster-lathe-tools.com)
970-301-4893

Roger Chandler
02-03-2016, 3:21 PM
Thanks Roger,
I need to stop by the GGMG and introduce my self.:DYes you do! .....you will join over 150 others, so stop by soon!

Rick Bailey
02-03-2016, 3:33 PM
It looks like they are taking a break. They seem have done that last fall for a month.

............ From their front page ...........................

Important Note: Please Read

We are currently not accepting any new tool orders at this time. Please check back soon.We truly appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Many thanks,
Todd and Michelle
info@monster-lathe-tools.com (info@monster-lathe-tools.com)
970-301-4893

I saw that,
The Facebook page says something different.
A call back would be nice.:rolleyes:

Shawn Pachlhofer
02-03-2016, 5:00 PM
call back?

a response to an email would be sufficient.

I called and emailed before Christmas - no response. to either of those, or to the call, email and facebook message I left this week

Rick Bailey
02-03-2016, 5:08 PM
call back?

a response to an email would be sufficient.

I called and emailed before Christmas - no response. to either of those, or to the call, email and facebook message I left this week

It dose kinda spook me that they don't or won't talk to customers.
I'll just make do I guess.
The gentlemen I'm getting it from did have lot of goodies to go with it.:)

Olaf Vogel
02-03-2016, 7:20 PM
I have almost the same issue, as my former lathe was 18"swing, and now I have the 22" G0766.

Not sure you need to go as far as a solid block of aluminum and custom machining services

I raised up the base on my Oneway hollowing system by about 5". (There is no system that fits my lathe.)
Just laminated up some baltic birch plywood to the right height. Cut was the shoulders so it fits in the gap between the ways.
Then drilled the middle, passed a large threaded rod through for the clamping mechanism.

After 6 months of use, I've no issues.
And you can build it in an afternoon, using a table saw, for about $30.

Admittedly, I have large stack of scrap baltic birch, so its my default building material.
:)

Rick Bailey
02-03-2016, 7:56 PM
Not sure you need to go as far as a solid block of aluminum and custom machining services

I raised up the base on my Oneway hollowing system by about 5". (There is no system that fits my lathe.)
Just laminated up some baltic birch plywood to the right height. Cut was the shoulders so it fits in the gap between the ways.
Then drilled the middle, passed a large threaded rod through for the clamping mechanism.

After 6 months of use, I've no issues.
And you can build it in an afternoon, using a table saw, for about $30.

Admittedly, I have large stack of scrap baltic birch, so its my default building material.
:)

Great idea,
Question- with the Monster do you want to be dead center or above/below center?

This is my first hollowing rig.:o

Bob Vavricka
02-03-2016, 9:58 PM
Generally you want the cutter on dead center. My Monster Base is a tube with a rod in it that gives you some up and down adjustment which you will need depending on the cutter you are using. I'll attach a pic later.

Olaf Vogel
02-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Great idea,
Question- with the Monster do you want to be dead center or above/below center?

This is my first hollowing rig.:o

Mine has some vertical adjustability. I made the riser so it's in the middle of the range to be dead Center.
occassionly I'll play with the height.

Rick Bailey
02-03-2016, 10:23 PM
Mine has some vertical adjustability. I made the riser so it's in the middle of the range to be dead Center.
occassionly I'll play with the height.

Got a feeling
I'll have a lot of questions about this.:p

Thanks Olaf.;)

Bob Vavricka
02-04-2016, 9:57 AM
Here are two pics I took of my Monster base as ordered for a Powermatic 3520b. There is about 3" of vertical adjustment on mine. Photos were turned the right way on my computer and I don't see a way for me to rotate them so maybe a Moderator can help me out. Hope this helps.

Rick Bailey
02-04-2016, 11:41 AM
Here are two pics I took of my Monster base as ordered for a Powermatic 3520b. There is about 3" of vertical adjustment on mine. Photos were turned the right way on my computer and I don't see a way for me to rotate them so maybe a Moderator can help me out. Hope this helps.

Thanks Bob
Not sure if it will have enough adjustment,
It's off a lathe with a 16'' swing. mine is 22".

Roger Chandler
02-04-2016, 12:55 PM
I took a few minutes to check out my Monster Articulated Hollowing rig to see how it lined up with the center on my G0766 22x42 and I do not believe I will have to add to the base. While my rig was made for my former 18/47 G0698, I think it will be okay as is.

Here are some pics......note that the shaft that goes into the base holder is now only held by two screws and not the three, but I feel like it will be just fine.

331001 331002 331003

There may be enough adjustment for lathes that were 18 -20 inch swing, but likely a 16" swing going to the 22" swing will need the base built up,or better yet, just keep your current base and have the shaft that fits into the base tube lengthened .....that is the part I would have replaced to a longer one if it were me. No doubt, Monster tools probably already has one in stock for a larger lathe that would work just fine to give you the added length necessary to make the 22" swing. Probably something for the 2436 Oneway, or 4224 Powermatic, or the Robust AB.

Rick Bailey
02-04-2016, 1:47 PM
Thanks Roger for taking time to check it out.
I'm now thinking I may only have to shim up 2''.
How much do you think the post is still in the base-1''?
I don't have the one I buying in my hands yet.
Thanks,
Rick

Roger Chandler
02-04-2016, 2:07 PM
Thanks,
RickI think at least two inches are in the tube. If it were me, I would try to get that longer shaft if Monster Tools will respond to your inquiry. It may be that they are deciding if the turning market is saturated at this point, and evaluating if they have a sustainable/profitable business at this point......of course, that is pure speculation on my part, and there could be numourous other reasons for a temporary suspension of orders.

I will say that the dealings I had with the original owner were great and the quality of their work, superb!

allen thunem
02-04-2016, 2:24 PM
Just curious was the ORIGINAL question to this thread ever definitively answered???

Rick Bailey
02-04-2016, 2:36 PM
Just curious was the ORIGINAL question to this thread ever definitively answered???

Still unknown.
I'm not the only one trying to get a reply from them and failed.

Rick Bailey
02-07-2016, 12:56 AM
I tried again for the fourth time calling them,
I guess they are going out of business
Hope I'm wrong..

Robert Willing
02-07-2016, 10:34 AM
I know everyone likes the monster, but I have no problem with this one on my G0766. http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/simple-hollowing-system-with-or-without-laser-for-woodturning/. Works great and height is no problem.

Rick Bailey
02-08-2016, 9:55 PM
Thanks,
Rick

Just a little update,
The seller was kind enough to make me a new base to fit my new lathe. :)
He has made his own rig and man is it nice! :eek:
Can't wait to see it.
Thanks for all the input guys.
He is a member of SMC and that makes me feel a lot better about the whole deal.:)
Thank you Alan! ;)

J.D.Redwine
03-02-2016, 12:17 PM
"Dear Valued Monster Lathe Tool Customers:

The time comes for all good things to end, and unfortunately, this is that time. We would like to thank you all for your
business and support over the past four years, but it is now time for us to close the business and move on to other endeavors."

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2016, 12:37 PM
This is very sad news. Not only did Randy Privett design and make amazing tools but he was also a really good friend. I miss him. I wish Michelle and Todd the best in whatever they pursue in the future. Good luck!

Rick Bailey
03-02-2016, 12:49 PM
"Dear Valued Monster Lathe Tool Customers:

The time comes for all good things to end, and unfortunately, this is that time. We would like to thank you all for your
business and support over the past four years, but it is now time for us to close the business and move on to other endeavors."

I guess that answer that question.:(

Glen Blanchard
03-02-2016, 11:50 PM
This is the second company making great products for the woodworker/turner that wound up shutting its doors following the passing of the original owner. First was Jointech and now, Monster Lathe Tools. Sad.

Don McClure
03-03-2016, 7:44 AM
Their web site now says they are closed and quitting the business.

Roger Chandler
03-03-2016, 9:32 AM
Wouldn't it be wonderful if some machinist contacted the folks and maybe worked out a deal where they could get the rights to the design and inventory that may be left and purchase the rights to begin making these items again......I am not a metal lathe guy, and for sure do not have the time or skills to do so, but if someone had the desire and the machining tools, this might turn out to be a profitable venture.......maybe? ;)

Alan Trout
03-03-2016, 1:58 PM
Roger,

Being a machinist, and making a high end hollowing rig myself, I can tell you that you will never get rich making these things. Unless you love making them you will make a living and that is about it. They are way to labor intensive and in my case some of the material cost are crazy and can't be changed. I make mine in my free time because I love to make them, but I keep my day business going because I make so much more doing that profession. It always seems like a good idea to make your hobby a business until you do it. Randy was a great guy. He made his tools because he loved to make them. His son probably just had different priorities then Randy. I can't blame him for trying to better his families life.

Alan

Brice Rogers
03-03-2016, 4:16 PM
Not trying to hi-jack the thread but I was wondering if anyone has built the Eddie Caselin's Steel Snake hollowing tool? I know that it wouldn't be as silky smooth or rigid as the Monster hollower or Harrison tool's Simple hollowing system. But I'm wondering if it would be "good enough"? Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this or a similar home-built hollower?

John King
03-03-2016, 4:26 PM
Monster Lathe Tools and Accessories is gone for good. See http://monster-lathe-tools.com/. - John

Rick Bailey
03-03-2016, 8:29 PM
Roger,

Being a machinist, and making a high end hollowing rig myself, I can tell you that you will never get rich making these things. Unless you love making them you will make a living and that is about it. They are way to labor intensive and in my case some of the material cost are crazy and can't be changed. I make mine in my free time because I love to make them, but I keep my day business going because I make so much more doing that profession. It always seems like a good idea to make your hobby a business until you do it. Randy was a great guy. He made his tools because he loved to make them. His son probably just had different priorities then Randy. I can't blame him for trying to better his families life.

Alan

Well Alan,
Now that you know how to make the bases you can fill your free time by making them for every one.:rolleyes:
Mine is perfect.;)

Alan Trout
03-04-2016, 9:29 AM
Well Alan,
Now that you know how to make the bases you can fill your free time by making them for every one.:rolleyes:
Mine is perfect.;)

One of these day's I hope to fill my free time to making art again. To many projects and not enough time.

Doug Ladendorf
03-04-2016, 9:49 AM
Great perspective Alan. - and you do make some really beautiful art. At least when you have time!

Doug

Steve Schlumpf
03-16-2016, 10:17 PM
Just got word from one of the owners - Monster Tools is going to reopen for business. I do not have additional info as to when but will update when I know more.

Rick Bailey
03-16-2016, 10:23 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :D
Thanks for the update Steve.:)

Roger Chandler
03-17-2016, 6:16 AM
Just got word from one of the owners - Monster Tools is going to reopen for business. I do not have additional info as to when but will update when I know more.Super news!!!!!

Frederick Skelly
03-17-2016, 6:56 AM
Just got word from one of the owners - Monster Tools is going to reopen for business. I do not have additional info as to when but will update when I know more.

Hi folks. I'm not a Turner (yet?) - just happened to read this thread. (I hope you don't mind.) In addition to the word that Mr. Schlumpf got, they've posted a sort of "never mind" note ( :) )on their web site:

We're Back!

Well folks, due to popular demand, we’re back in business! We’ve thought long and hard about our decision to close shop, and have come to the realization that we need to continue down the path that Randy Privett started, and keep making the best lathe tools and accessories we can. We apologize for any worry or inconvenience our temporary closing might have caused, but we look forward to getting busy again in the shop and hearing from all of our woodturning friends again.
Thanks for your understanding,
Todd and Michelle

Best regards.
Fred

Steve Schlumpf
03-17-2016, 11:04 AM
Monster Tools website is open for business and now taking orders!

Kyle Iwamoto
03-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Wow! Awesome. I should buy even more parts for my rig to support them.....

Just to let readers know, I think they make a really good tool rest as well. But, its a round bar tool rest. If you don't like a round tool rest, nevermind, but they can custom build one if you want. For example, if you want an off center tool rest..

Also mini lathe T-nuts that help stop tailstock and banjo creep. Geez, I sound like a commercial for them.... No affiliation, I just like their products. And I'm glad they're back.

Welcome them back and order some stuff!!