PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-715 1440 lathe parts

Robin Fraser
02-02-2016, 5:27 PM
Does anyone know where to purchase replacement variable speed pulleys. This lathe has very little use and the pulleys are self destructing. Seems like a common problem by searching on the Interne. Delta customer service reply is Sorry,we no longer provide these parts. There must be someway to repair this. Seems like a shame to just abandon this investment to the junk pile :confused::confused:

Dimitrios Fradelakis
02-02-2016, 6:12 PM
Is it possible that Grizzly cloned the same style lathe? I needed a part for my Delta DJ20 jointer and I got the part from Grizzly.

Dick Strauss
02-03-2016, 9:32 AM
Robin,
I've got a set of motor pulleys for the 46-715 that I no longer need. PM me if you need a motor pulley set.

The spindle pulleys come in at least two different sizes IIRC. If you need/find a set of these, make sure you get the right size.

These pulleys need to be cleaned and lubed regularly for best life.

Good luck!

David Boardman
02-03-2016, 10:51 AM
Good luck. I have one sitting in my shop with a pile of dust on it. The spindle pulley broke about 3 days after I bought it used. A company called Renovo parts is currently building a aftermarket pulley for the lathe but with no current release date.

Robin Fraser
02-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Dick, not sure if the pm thing worked. Sounds like an excellent option.

Sam Beagle
02-03-2016, 4:01 PM
This is so discouraging to hear, my first lathe I ever bought was this 46-715, I used it for a year and just bought a new 3520b. Anyway, I'm trying to sell this lathe as we speak. That certainly makes selling it alot harder.

Doug Ladendorf
02-03-2016, 8:41 PM
That was my first lathe and it worked quite well for me. It's not big, it's not fancy but that's what I fell in love with turning on. I used DriSlide, a dry Moly/graphite lube on the pulleys and they never gave me trouble. It can be a nice user if well maintained.

Doug

Dick Strauss
02-04-2016, 8:57 AM
Robin,
I got your PM but don't have a whole lot of time now. I'm not sure what the issues/costs are with mailing packages to Canada. I'll try to get back to you Monday-Tues. If you have any experience with arranging for shipments from US to Canada, I'd be happy to learn. Are the rest of parts (springs, etc) okay?

Ronald Blue
02-04-2016, 8:19 PM
Have you considered investigating whether the Grizzly G0462 spindle will work? They use the same bearing size. If that's an option then their headstock pulley set will work. I know there are lot's of opportunities for other things to be different but it looks as though it could possibly work. Good luck.

John Rosser
02-25-2016, 2:17 PM
I recently purchased a used Delta 46-715. Not knowing the pulley issue. Mine have now gone bad.

John Rosser
02-25-2016, 6:46 PM
Ronald,
Please let me know where on line I can find the Grizzly G0462 spindle pulley. I found an owner's manual but cannot find where to order parts, or a phone number.

Thanks

Roger Chandler
02-25-2016, 7:00 PM
Ronald,
Please let me know where on line I can find the Grizzly G0462 spindle pulley. I found an owner's manual but cannot find where to order parts, or a phone number.

ThanksI am not Ronald, but if you want to order Grizzly parts [some of their machines are clones of other makes] then of to Grizzly.com. And then click on Woodworking machines. Somewhere on their pages is a list of links on the bottom of the page......find these and click on "manuals". And the manuals have parts lists in them. Find the part number you need and you can order it from Grizzly.
Hope this helps.

Ronald Blue
02-25-2016, 8:09 PM
Here is a link to the parts list and the link to the parts purchase page. I removed the prefix to make them not "live" links but they still should work by copying and pasting.

cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g0462_pl.pdf

grizzly.com/products/g0462/parts

John Rosser
02-29-2016, 10:54 AM
thanks for your help, I have found the web page for ordering the parts.

john brady
08-18-2016, 9:36 PM
Hi Guys,

I know this threads is several months old, but wanted to ask how John (Rosser) made out with his Grizzly parts? Did you get any? If so, did they fit OK?

One of my Spindle Pulleys recently went bad (the key slot groove got too wide and the pulleys would catch if open too wide). I had a spare set I bought before a few years ago they quite selling them and thought I was good to go with a swap, but found out they were the wrong size. I have a type 2 lathe-- the type 1 & 2's used 24mm spindle and pulleys, while the type 3 uses 22mm. BUT I ordered a new (22mm) spindle and it arrived today. But I want to get another spare set of pulleys if I can. Not that it matters for me, since I have both size spindles now, but if you ordered those from the Grizzly (G0462), I'd appreciate it if you can let me know what size they turned out to be.

If anyone was wondering, the difference between the two spindles is only on the back end where the pulleys fit. The back section (where the key slot is) is turned down to 22mm, the rest is the same as on the 24mm spindle (example the original BEARINGS still fit). The only other part that's different is the very back EXT RETAINING RING (Ref #14)-- you need one for the 22mm shaft (my ring slot ID was 20.60mm). The type 3 parts list still shows the same part number as the others (but Delta doesn't sell any of them anyway).

I'm also installing my last set of Motor Pulleys too. I did confirmed elsewhere that those from the Grizzly (G0462) DO FIT-- they're just a little tight, but sanding down the shaft slightly fixes it.

Thanks for the help...JEB

Brice Rogers
08-18-2016, 11:35 PM
Ronald,

Thanks

John,here are the steps: (1) go to the grizzly.com page, (2) Look on the left side of the page about half way down and you'll see four boxes:
Specification Sheet Manual
Parts list Purchase Parts

Click on the purchase parts box and you're on your way.

john brady
08-20-2016, 10:03 AM
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and posting the instructions. I already found how to order, but was hoping John (or anyone else) that ordered the Grizzly pulleys already might be able comment on what size they were (24 or 22mm ID's). Also (forgot to ask earlier) whether they were the same size, and had the indexing holes.

Looking at the G0462 parts view, the spindle pulleys actually look like their the same as the JET's (part # JWL-1442-161). If they are, I have a set of those, so wouldn't need to order the Grizzly's just yet. The JET's have 24mm ID's, but the OD is smaller than the Delta's and they don't have the indexing holes.

Anyone purchased the Grizzly SPINDLE pulley's?? If fso, could you comment on them?

Thanks...JEB

Timber Smith
03-25-2020, 12:38 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I had this issue and found the part at Renovo Parts. Unfortunately they sent me one with a crack in it and when I called in to ask for a replacement or a refund they refused, they said I probably broke it trying to install it. Beware the customer service at Renovo Parts is very unprofessional and not at all helpful. I ordered a second part anyway, because I need the lathe to be back up and running ASAP.

Bill Bukovec
03-25-2020, 9:46 PM
I don't know how to paste the link, but if you search "How I fixed my piece of junk Delta lathe.", You can see how I fixed mine.
Good luck, many of us feel your pain.

Bill Dufour
03-30-2020, 12:26 AM
Location? I can sell you my delta 12x40 lathe instead. Shipping would be a problem.
Bill D

carey mitchell
09-25-2021, 11:56 AM
Problem solved !

I was able to use the pulleys from Jet with a little modification. The bore is about 0.015" too small. I used a neighbor's lathe with the bowl jaws on the chuck to spin the split pieces. I removed enough metal using 150 grit sandpaper wrapped around a 3/4" dowel to allow the split parts to slide freely.

The OD of the Jet pulleys is about 1/2" less than the Delta, but the ratio is the same. They work fine. I would suggest removing about 0.010" from the end of the shaft pulley that abuts the collar to avoid excess friction, as it is too tight otherwise.

You will need a 26" V belt.

I got the Jet pulleys from JPW Industries; there are other sources.

Dick Strauss
09-26-2021, 8:53 AM
I think I've got the motor, motor-side split pulley/spring and yoke (the part that connects to the speed handle and forces the shaft side pulleys together) for this model if anyone should need them.

Mike Lindberg
02-06-2022, 1:42 AM
I’m looking for the yoke, spring sand guide rods if yours are still available.

Richard Coers
02-06-2022, 12:52 PM
I’m looking for the yoke, spring sand guide rods if yours are still available.
Look at a parts list for the Grizzly knock off of that design. I know people have purchased the sheaves from Grizzly for that Delta machine.

Dick Strauss
02-07-2022, 3:20 PM
Yes, I think I still got the parts. I'll check to make sure when I get a chance. I do not have the handle for the actual speed change though. Do you need the split pulley for the reeves drive?

Mike Lindberg
02-08-2022, 9:32 AM
Yes I need the spindle pulley still. I’ve ordered the motor pulley from grizzly just haven’t put it on yet. Thanks Dick for your time.

Mike Lindberg
02-08-2022, 9:34 AM
The yoke assembly on the grizzly is a different design than the 46-715. Thanks though.

Dick Strauss
02-08-2022, 10:42 PM
I'm sure I don't have the spindle pulley set. I should have the motor pulley set but it sounds like you don't need it. I should have the other parts I mentioned previously.
I'll try to remember to look in the morning.

Mike Lindberg
02-09-2022, 12:26 AM
Thanks Dick, I appreciate it.

Dick Strauss
02-09-2022, 6:59 PM
I still have the yoke with guide rods/pins and spring. PM me your details when you get the chance.

Mike Lindberg
02-10-2022, 1:23 AM
I’m not sure how to pm you in here. Sorry I’m new to this thread. I’m new to sawmill creek

Mike Lindberg
02-10-2022, 9:33 AM
It looks like I can’t pm others until I have made 30 posts. How else can I contact you, Dick? Should I just post my email? Not real comfortable with that, with all the people posting spam mail.

Mike Lindberg
02-10-2022, 10:03 AM
I figured out that I had to be a paying member in order to send PM’s. So I sent my donation and then tried to pm you. It said you can’t receive, or have chosen not to receive PM’s. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong, or what.

Dick Strauss
02-10-2022, 7:00 PM
Mike,
I guess I can't send PMs any more even though I can see my PMs from 2013. Email me at my new junk email g3m7a2i3l at gmail .com. We can share real information from there.

Mike Lindberg
02-10-2022, 7:17 PM
Awesome. I just sent you an email.

Mikey Green
02-13-2022, 4:10 PM
Did a quick search and came across this link.

https:// www .lumberjocks .com /denverdan/blog/72970

Jay Aubuchon
01-24-2024, 2:06 PM
I know that this thread is old, but it seems like a good place to record the details of replacing the Reeves drive pulley on the spindle of my Delta 46-715. My thanks to Carey Mitchell for answering some questions about his experience.

I used Jet part JWL 1442-161, which includes both halves of the pulley. The original movable half had shattered. I got the part from Mike’s Tools (https://www.mikestools.com/Jet-Tool-Part-JWL1442-161-Jet-Spindle-Pulley-Left_JWL1442-161.aspx).

The bottom line is that I can now shift speeds smoothly, and I have a working lathe.

I did not have to modify the Jet parts at all. I did remove a small burr on the spindle with a file. After I used 320 grit sandpaper to clean up the very end of the spindle — the portion beyond the location of the fixed pulley half — the new halves went on easily. The moving half slid back and forth easily but without slop.

The hub of the movable half was a very snug fit into the yoke, just like the original. I used my bench vise to slowly press it in.

I lubricated the spindle and the motor shaft with spray silicone. I found a wide variety of advice on the best lubricant. I’ll have to keep an eye on this.

I had to replace the belt. The old one was much too loose with the new pulley. I used a link belt so that I could get the right size by trial and error.

Some things were lost with this repair.

a. Indexing. The fixed half of the original pulley had holes on the outside to accept the indexing pin. The Jet version doesn’t have those holes.

b. Hand wheel. Similarly, the hub of the original fixed half had 3 tapped holes to fasten on the hand wheel. The Jet version doesn’t.

c. Maybe the lowest two speeds. The Jet pulley is smaller in diameter. At the lowest speed or two, the belt may threaten to jump off the pulley.

Mike Lindberg
01-24-2024, 3:12 PM
Thank you, I appreciate your reply and detailed explanation of what you did. I will definitely check into this and hopefully get the parts ordered. Thanks again and have a great day.