PDA

View Full Version : LN honing guide - What fits what? What doesn't fit?

Kurt Cady
02-02-2016, 1:29 PM
Ok...so I'd like to think about buying the LN honing guide but I don't know if half of my tools will fit. Nor do I know what tools fit with what set of jaws. I'd prefer not to have to spend the money on the trial/error. I'm sure many others are in my boat.

So, for those of you with the LN guide - will you please post what tools fit what jaws? And what tools do not fit what jaws?.

For example, lets say you own one of the LV bevel up plane series. Do the thick blades fit the standard jaws? What about the LV apron plane, shoulder plane, etc?

Read somewhere (Ralph B's blog) that the skew rabbet blade doesn't fit the LN skew jaws...why?

What about the PMV-11 chisels? what sizes fit what jaws? There are tons of different chisels. What about AI chisels, etc.

Also, I'd prefer that this thread not dissolve into whether or not to use a jig or not.

Thank you in advance

Mike Brady
02-02-2016, 1:48 PM
I think you are expecting quite a bit from a guide that is made to work only with Lie-Nielsen tools. You don't want to spend the money and time to find out, but it's ok if someone else does? I can tell you this: plane blades with parallel sides will fit the standard jaws that come with guide. I have some odd chisels that don't work, in fact I suspect there are many chisels out there that it won't hold securely. Bottom line is I don't think you are at risk for much money if you buy the jig and ultimately have to sell it because it doesn't meet your needs.

Jim Koepke
02-02-2016, 2:22 PM
Is a drive to Charleston, SC out of the question?

Lie Nielsen will be having a tool even there April 8-9.

That would be an opportunity to load up some of your tools and check it out for your self.

jtk

Wayne Taylor
02-02-2016, 3:32 PM
Ok...so I'd like to think about buying the LN honing guide but I don't know if half of my tools will fit. Nor do I know what tools fit with what set of jaws. I'd prefer not to have to spend the money on the trial/error. I'm sure many others are in my boat.

So, for those of you with the LN guide - will you please post what tools fit what jaws? And what tools do not fit what jaws?.

For example, lets say you own one of the LV bevel up plane series. Do the thick blades fit the standard jaws? What about the LV apron plane, shoulder plane, etc?

Read somewhere (Ralph B's blog) that the skew rabbet blade doesn't fit the LN skew jaws...why?

What about the PMV-11 chisels? what sizes fit what jaws? There are tons of different chisels. What about AI chisels, etc.

Also, I'd prefer that this thread not dissolve into whether or not to use a jig or not.

Thank you in advance

I have the veritas chisels, the LN honing guide fits them perfectly. Also fits standard plan irons just fine.

Ralph Boumenot
02-02-2016, 6:55 PM
I have the LN guide and 6 sets of jaws. My set of Ashley Iles chisels from 1/8" up 2" fit in it. All of my Lee Valley bench plane irons fit in it (4 of them). I have a no name set of metric chisels that all fit in it. All my Stanley bench plane irons fit in it (11 total). I haven't tried my new 1/4" Ashley Iles pig sticker yet so I don't know if it will fit or not.
My LV rabbet plane iron will not work in the RH skew 30° jaws and I can't get the LN 1/8" chisel to fit in the small jaws (either the jaws are too big or the chisel is too small). I have two old Stanley carpenter chisels, 3/4" and 1", that fit in the guide also. Not too bad considering the guide is made for LN tools only.
Read my blog post tomorrow (wed) on the LV rabbet plane iron.

David Eisenhauer
02-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Has anyone tried to sharpen a Ray Isles 1/4" pig sticker with the LN guide plus appropriate jaws?

Derek Cohen
02-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Has anyone tried to sharpen a Ray Isles 1/4" pig sticker with the LN guide plus appropriate jaws?

Yes, and it is not a match. Search earlier thread for pictures.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Chris Hachet
02-03-2016, 12:52 PM

I suck at freehand sharpening and I can sharpen a pig sticker by hand pretty easily. it is much easier than a smoothing plane blade, IMHO. You may want to give hand sharpening it a try.

David Eisenhauer
02-03-2016, 6:41 PM
I do free sharpen, but like to use a guide to put in the initial grind bevel and/or correct out-of-square issues, especially on narrower chisels. I have an older eclipse guide that does not like mortise chisels so I do hand sharpen those. Thanks for the info.

Kees Heiden
02-04-2016, 5:29 AM
At that price it'd better fit EVERYTHING. Including the felling axe.

:D

ken hatch
02-04-2016, 6:05 AM

David,

It doesn't work well with any pig sticker. You can kluge around and get it to kinda work with some of the smaller pig stickers but.... It is still a kluge and it can go wonky very easily.

ken

BTW, it is a great honing guide and it will work with many chisels and plane irons but it is still a honing guide and for 90% of my honing needs doing it freehand is easier and just as good. In fact, most of the times I want to use it are on the tools it doesn't fit. Who said the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't have a sense of humor. :-)

lowell holmes
02-04-2016, 6:08 AM
Check this guide out,

http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Larson-800-1800-Honing-Guide/dp/B000CFNCKS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Watch this video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojzzCXq5ook

I think you will like it.