PDA

View Full Version : Something New for me

Dick Parr
09-10-2005, 7:48 PM
Today I tuned this piece of maple crotch after seeing a tuning done by Mike Schwing, his was done in black cherry and was beautiful.

It is 12-1/2" long by 5-1/2" to 7-1/2" wide. The bowl portion is 6" round and 2-1/4" high. I finished it by using the beall buff system.

Thanks for looking.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-10-2005, 8:05 PM
Very nice Dick!

SCARY....................ain't it Scary when those EDGES come sailing around the center right AT YOU!!!!!!

Guess you still have all ten and no busted knuckles. :D

Bruce

Keith Burns
09-10-2005, 8:08 PM
I have to agree with Bruce about that being scary to turn. Anyway you've done a great job. Very nice. It's always nice to try something different and have it turn out so good.

Alan Turner
09-10-2005, 8:31 PM
Very nice work Sort of Grumbine - like.

Dennis Peacock
09-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Dick,

I don't know how you do it....but you did REAL GOOD on this piece. Very nice sir. :D

John Miliunas
09-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Now that's a cool piece, Dick!:) I've tried something similar before, but certainly not of that caliber. Great looking work! Keep it up, my friend!:) :cool:

Michael Stafford
09-11-2005, 7:23 AM
Outstanding, Mr. Parr, clearly outstanding. That is exactly where I would be, out standing in the yard when you switched on the lathe with that 6 cornered whirling block of finger smashing death!!!!!! :eek:

Dick, it looks beautiful and you certainly have more guts than I. Good job! :)

Shelley Bolster
09-11-2005, 8:12 AM
[QUOTE=Michael Stafford]Outstanding, Mr. Parr, clearly outstanding. That is exactly where I would be, out standing in the yard when you switched on the lathe with that 6 cornered whirling block of finger smashing death!!!!!! :eek:

That is exactly where I would be too Dick - out standing in the yard behind Big Mike! :eek:

Fabulous piece Dick! :D Just be careful will ya???!!!:p

Ken Fitzgerald
09-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Very nice Dick! Very brave!

Robert Watsek
09-11-2005, 2:14 PM
Very nice indeed Dick!!!:)

My hats off to ya..........:cool: that had to be quite a challenge to keep all your
hide intact.:eek:

Ernie Nyvall
09-11-2005, 2:20 PM
Nice work Dick. Very scary looking.

Ernie

Dick Parr
09-11-2005, 4:52 PM
Thanks everyone.

This being the first one for me was a challenge and yes, you do have to watch where your hands are at all times. I have a number of crouch pieces on hand so I will be giving this another try. :rolleyes:

Glenn Hodges
09-12-2005, 7:28 AM
That graps my attention, your attention while turning, and anyone else's attention when they see it. I like the unusual, and this sure is.

Kurt Aebi
09-12-2005, 8:01 AM
Dick,

I'm glad I was all the way up here in Vermont when you started that one on your DVR!!!!!!!

I'm too chicken to even watch someone attempt one of those!

I saw Mike's over at Wood Central and thought; Wow, what a thing of beauty! (and how if I'd try it - I'd be saying: "Wow my fingers used to be attached!!!! :eek: )

I see your's and I'm just as impressed - Great Work (and still thinking about my fingers!! LOL :D )

Great Job!

Mark Cothren
09-12-2005, 1:11 PM
Very impressive, Mr. Parr! Maybe I can talk Dennis into trying something like that so I can watch and see how hard it is to preserve digits...:D

Dennis - you game?

Very nice work and thanks for the picture!

Brad Schmid
09-12-2005, 3:42 PM
Nice job Dick. I think you'll find the more of these you do, the more addictive they become. They present some very unique challenges especially as they get larger. After a while, you get pretty good at watching the ghost image :) Well done!

Brad

Joe Tonich
09-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Holy Cow, Dick,

I'm gonna have to visit here more often. I'm missin some great stuff.
That is VERY cool!!!!!!!!!
Don't know if we're gonna get down there again this year, but, next year your gonna be doing some teachin!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!
WELL done!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Joe