PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma with my planer

Mark Gibney
02-02-2016, 12:38 AM
Last summer I bought a 25" Casadei planer (1980's Italian machine, now part of SCM I believe) and took it to my shop. I wired it up, and the cutter head ran. I tried the bed raising / lowering switch and it raised the bed fine, but on the way down it stopped dead.

The machine has sat there for months now - first I had to find someone who knew how to work on these machines, and then we had to get the electrical chart from Italy. Long story short, the bed motor works when it is disconnected from the chain, but once I connect the chain back up it does nothing. When I subsequently disconnect the chain and try the switch the motor stays dead - it's not getting power.

It could be months before this tech gets back to me - I'm a small job compared to what he normally does - and while he knows plenty about electrical circuity I'm not sure he really wants to get to grips with what is jammed mechanically and causing the bed motor circuit to cut out.

Here's my thought - I can get a machinist friend to rig up a hand crank to raise and lower the bed, and get rid of the troublesome electrical stuff. I'm a fan of keeping things simple when I can. I'm a one man shop, and don't need the speed / convenience of an electrically operated bed.

I'd like to hear the opinions of anyone out there on this. I tried to upload photos of the machine and the spaghetti electrical wiring, but it wouldn't work, sorry.

So, should I repair the machine and keep it as it is, or go with a hand crank? Thanks.

Mel Fulks
02-02-2016, 12:37 PM
I would convert to hand crank. Don't like those machines ,used one that had a rubber band type belt to change the "flash card" type thickness indicator. When it broke the table would not move. The machine was a big box full of small toys.