PDA

View Full Version : Any Serious Lathe Owners Here?

Barry Richardson
02-01-2016, 9:12 PM
I'm in the market for a new lathe and I want it to be my last, I've been looking at the Robust American Beauty as well, but the Serious has a few features I like better, in a nutshell, it's bigger, and I plan on turning big gnarly stuff. Its near the same price as the American Beauty too. But I can find very little info, or comments from people who own it. I would love to hear some feedback, anybody.......?

Reed Gray
02-01-2016, 9:26 PM
I have seen them, and they are pretty heavy duty, all cast iron, and I think, the heaviest wood lathe available. Not sure if the throw is any bigger than the Robust. That is about all I really know. From what I have seen, they are very well made.

robo hippy

Roger Chandler
02-01-2016, 11:26 PM
They are big heavy and well designed. The Serious SL2542 comes in at 1500+ lbs, and has rollers in the base for mobility, but locks solid to the ground when lowered. I would encourage you to call Scott Trumbo ......he is a stand up guy, and will give you factual information on the Serious lathe. I know him personally, he has been to my house and shop, and I know he will treat you right. He has always given me superb customer service. Scott is one of the partners in the company, and an accomplished woodturner in his own right. He is also the marketing/managing director, so he can give you the full scoop on the lathe.

Brice Rogers
02-02-2016, 12:09 AM
I am NOT what you folks would call a "serious woodturner", but I'm trying and I'm learning. I'm learning by reading posts, joining a woodturning club (SDWT), and talking with serious wood turners.

Last week I was at a Scottsdale art show called the Celebration of Fine Art. There were three wood turners there (out of 100 artists). One, David Barkby turns HUGE wall hangings. Like 6 feet in diameter. His largest turning was 10 feet in diameter Wow. He uses a One Way lathe (I think 24 x 36).
http://celebrateart.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Wallhangings_photos_from_brochure_005-535x55011-291x300.jpg

Another turner, Brian Sykes, to whom I spoke, turns more conventional-sized pieces. He uses a One Way 2436 as well.

http://celebrateart.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Sykes-Brian-01-Brian-in-shop-300x295.jpg

Doug Ladendorf
02-02-2016, 9:01 AM
I don't own a Serious lathe but have admired them and agree they could be an excellent choice. Roger gave you some good info to follow up on. Another option for big turning is a vintage Patternmaker lathe. They tend to be even heavier than the Serious lathe but do not usually come with some of the more modern conveniences like infinite variable speed (though it can be added via a VFD).

Doug

Barry Richardson
02-02-2016, 9:44 AM
Roger do you own a serious lathe? or did Scott give you good customer service in some other area. Of course it stand to reason that he would give me positive feedback, since he is selling them. One of the deal breakers for me would be the freight, it might be excessive.

Allan Ferguson
02-02-2016, 10:04 AM
Check on the VB36.

Roger Chandler
02-02-2016, 10:35 AM
Roger do you own a serious lathe? or did Scott give you good customer service in some other area. Of course it stand to reason that he would give me positive feedback, since he is selling them. One of the deal breakers for me would be the freight, it might be excessive.Barry, no I do not own a Serious lathe. [cost factor and I am currently in a temporary situation where I hope to build a new shop at a future location where room and circumstances allow me to have a premium large lathe.] I have however paid a lot of attention to the different makes, and know that every person that I have read speak to their owner experience has been VERY positive. I have watched the videos of them, and know that there are also Nascar parts suppliers who use this lathe to manufacture some parts for the Nascar teams.

I know Scott personally. I understand his interest in selling his product, but also know that he is a person of integrity, and that his interests lie in the long term satisfaction of his customers........that is how he wants to grow his business. I have some of his tools, and he has done some demos for one of the clubs I belong to, and he has visited with me here at my home on a couple of occasions, and we have had numerous conversations about the machines on the market and other turning related conversations.

His lathes are manufactured with premium components like motor and vfd, and it is all heavy duty rated. His tool line is good as well, and I have two of his cam-lock handles.....my favorite handle to put a gouge into without question.

I truly believe Scott will give you the honest assessment of his understanding about the SL2542, and while he has an interest in the sale, he also has a very concerned interest in his customer's satisfaction over the long haul. He won't mislead you, and he will try to arrange for you a session with an owner of one of his lathes if it can be arranged, so you can experience the performance first hand......ask him about this, and tell him that I referred you!

Hayes Rutherford
02-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Barry, one was listed on the AAW website over a week ago and it might still be available as no one responded. Some other large lathes like a Nichols as well.

Roger Chandler
02-02-2016, 12:29 PM
I sent Scott Trumbo an email about this thread.........he replied and asked me to pass this message on to Barry about the possibility of Barry being able to actually speak to other owners of the Serious lathe, and connect with a long time Serious owner there in his home state of Arizona.\

I hope everyone knows that I have been a member/contributor here at SMC for years, and I am not doing this to help Scott or anyone at Serious. I am doing it to help a fellow turner named Barry, our original poster in this thread. If the two decide to follow through on this invitation, then great for them, but Barry sounds like he is looking for reliable information, and what better way to get it than to be invited to turn on one and get the straight up information from a long time owner?

Here is Scott's message to me.......Barry, I hope it helps you...:) A coincidence that the owner is also named Roger!

Years ago, our sale of serial number 00001 of the SL2542 went to a turner living in northern Arizona. This man is skilled, generous, and passionate about woodturning and Serious Toolworks, Inc. He specializes in complex segmented turnings and has completed many. He would enjoy hosting Barry for an extensive test drive. This gentleman has a long background in electronics and can discuss the SL2542 from the inside out (VFD, controls, digital indexing, etc.). If Barry has an interest in exploring this machine for one more step, please suggest he call me at: 1-800-211-1484, or 971-409-2573. I would be happy to answer questions and to set Barry up to contact Roger H. in his home state (as well as connect him with other long term skilled SL2542 owners if desired).

Thank You,

Scott Trumbo
Sales and Marketing Manager
Serious Toolworks, Inc.
& Proud Friend Of Roger Chandler

Geoff Whaling
02-02-2016, 3:58 PM
Barry, I don't own a lathe of the capacity of the Serious nor do I turn very large pieces but I do have a very keen interest in wood turning safety and hazard management.

The SL2542 is impressive and has a lot going for it with its weight and particularly the weight distribution with the low motor mount and the relatively large & wide foot print of the head stock end.

I am however confused about the placement and the fixed position of the controls and emergency stop button. This I believe is a serious (no pun intended) flaw in its design. A turner, turning either in board or out board must cross the "red zone" to access the E-stop!! Not very smart design imo. Why manufactures do this to save $$ amazes me. One successful consumer product defect / injury liability claim would wipe out any savings and close up shop for most of these small manufacturers.

My Vicmarc VL150 has the same design flaw however the risk and nature of potential injury is much lower than for a turner turning a moderately large platter, bowl or HF on a SL2542.

If I were to stump up near $8k US or more for a large capacity lathe I would be wanting flexibility and the option to place the lathe controls where I want them and to not have to cross the "red zone" to access them. I'm sure Serious would accommodate a request for an option to have relocatable / repositionable controls at cost so that you can enjoy the lathe with a sense of security to "allow you to handle the large and dramatic pieces with style and ease."

Roger Chandler
02-02-2016, 4:19 PM
Geoff, numerous turners have made a pendant control box for their lathes......3520b's, Jets, etc. I would guess that the same could be done for the Serious SL2542......I wonder if that is an option that might be available for that lathe? If not, at least an emergency stop could be made by most turners with a magnet on the back to be placed near the tailstock.

Michael Schneider
02-02-2016, 4:27 PM
The stop button is a normally closed switch (contact is broken when the switch is pressed). This is done as a safety feature, if the wire to the stop switch breaks, the motor stops. You can wire as many stop buttons as you like in series, and then you press/kick any of them. On an expensive lathe, you should be able to ask for multiples to be installed.

Happy Turning,
Michael

Robin Fraser
02-02-2016, 4:30 PM
Check out the Oneway 24 36 from Canada. Our seriously low dollar gives a hudge advantage to US customers.

Tom Albrecht
02-02-2016, 4:58 PM
I know you didn't ask for suggestions, but this is a forum and that means the topic gets off subject...

I would try a Oneway, or better yet, an American Beauty, or both. Meaning, make a project or two on each lathe. Make projects that require changing speeds with the belts, moving the tailstock back and forth, make speed adjustments with the dial from various locations, work with a tool coming in next to the headstock. Then do the same things on a Serious. That's the only way you'll know what you are getting and what you are missing.

Geoff Whaling
02-03-2016, 5:01 AM
Geoff, numerous turners have made a pendant control box for their lathes......3520b's, Jets, etc. I would guess that the same could be done for the Serious SL2542......I wonder if that is an option that might be available for that lathe? If not, at least an emergency stop could be made by most turners with a magnet on the back to be placed near the tailstock.

Roger I think you and many others are missing the point - turners shouldn't have to modify a brand new lathe to make it "safer" to use. ;)

Roger Chandler
02-03-2016, 8:50 AM
Roger I think you and many others are missing the point - turners shouldn't have to modify a brand new lathe to make it "safer" to use. ;)
Not missing your point at all Geoff.....I think it would be best if all lathes came with a control pendant that could be placed out of the line of fire. Using your logic and applying it to pickup trucks....the potential for injury is always there when we unload anything heavy in/out of the bed....especially our back. Every pickup should have a dump bed feature and a tailgate lift mechanism.

Of course they don't all come that way.....but, one can dream! Are the truck manufacturers obligated to put those features on the truck because they know every user will be loading and unloading heavy items? My point, is that the lathes on the market are what they are. We turners could begin communicating with all vendors and tell them we want that feature on all new lathes, but we had better be prepared to pay a good bit extra.

I think it's sort of like anti-lock brakes.....you get the features you are willing to pay for. BTW, I do appreciate your safety conscience-ness, and enjoy your comments .....many have been helped by them, no doubt! :)

Barry Richardson
02-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the info Roger, and all the feedback from you guys, I think I will give Scott a call and see if they are coming to the Desert Roundup this month in Mesa (A regional turners convention similar to SWAT) or maybe have a lathe there...

Barry Richardson
02-03-2016, 10:39 AM
Somehow I thought the Serious had a control pendant, musta been another one I was looking at. Safety is of course important, but to me the drawback is a practical one. I spend a good deal of time on the off-side of the lathe cause I get a better angle for hollowing, if I want to stop or change speeds, I have to walk around to the front of the lathe, or reach around the headstock,...... a hassle, I will have to address that with Scott...

Geoff Whaling
02-03-2016, 4:47 PM
Not missing your point at all Geoff.....I think it would be best if all lathes came with a control pendant that could be placed out of the line of fire. Using your logic and applying it to pickup trucks....the potential for injury is always there when we unload anything heavy in/out of the bed....especially our back. Every pickup should have a dump bed feature and a tailgate lift mechanism.

Of course they don't all come that way.....but, one can dream! Are the truck manufacturers obligated to put those features on the truck because they know every user will be loading and unloading heavy items? My point, is that the lathes on the market are what they are. We turners could begin communicating with all vendors and tell them we want that feature on all new lathes, but we had better be prepared to pay a good bit extra.

I think it's sort of like anti-lock brakes.....you get the features you are willing to pay for. BTW, I do appreciate your safety conscience-ness, and enjoy your comments .....many have been helped by them, no doubt! :)

There is no question that you get the features you are willing to pay for - even medium and small economy cars have some form of vehicle stability control, ABS systems now. I would expect a heck of a lot more from a $8k Serious SL2542 over say a $3.3k Grizzly G0800. Both have exactly the same design flaw, hazards and risk profile when turning large work! The risk profile is vastly different for small, medium or spindle turning projects. The potential for serious injury is amplified by the placement of E-stops in hazardous positions on larger projects.

Its not quite like pickup design - vehicle manufacturers go to great lengths to establish an ergonomic cabin design and placement of essential controls which suits the majority of people - a wide anatomical range (btw most lathe stands on the market aren't adjustable in height!). If pick up manufacturers designed the placement of the ignition switch, accelerator, and a range of other controls in the same manner lathe manufacturers do perhaps we would have have to climb into the passenger side or into the pickup tray to access them during some "normal" operation of the vehicle:).

If we use the pickup vehicle analogy, vehicles are most often operated from the drivers seat and not from the passenger seat or pickup tray. :D However it is slightly different with hand wood turning, as turners quite often adopt a stance on the near side, off side, end, or out board to access a turning. Then we have left & right handed turners. I think a closer analogy would be a little more like backhoe control design or even better analogy - truck crane controls - dual control panels accessible from "normal" operator positions with essential controls adopting priority from each operator position and keeping the operator out of harms way. We are talking about turners adopting one of the four typical stances when addressing a lathe.

You do have a good point about tailgate lift mechanisms - at least some lathe and accessory manufacturers are designing swing away and / or hydraulic tail stock accessories. May be we should be asking for small swing away cranes as an option on larger lathes. :)

Turners shouldn't have to dream about well thought out control placement. The basic design of a wood lathe has been unchanged for centuries, so one would think that operators and designers would have a pretty good understanding of where to place controls by now. The simple answer is as you say a re-positionable pendant - but that costs for an IP65 enclosure, a few magnets and a longer wiring harness.

The Serious lathe has a lot of great features and looks to be a very capable work horse but it could be even better with perhaps $100 more invested in a re-positionable control panel. Vicmarc and quite a few other manufacturers are listening to their customers and are implementing "Seperate electronic variable speed box that can be mounted away from the lathe and magnetic switch box that can be positioned anywhere you are working."

I agree, turners should definitely be saying what they expect to get in a lathe but more importantly telling retailers why they lost a sale - because the control placement is unsafe, etc etc or I am prepared to pay $100 extra to get a pendant control that I can place where I want it.

Jeffrey J Smith
02-03-2016, 5:10 PM
Barry - since you don't seem intimidated by either the cost or the offshore components, you might want to look at the Magma Black Line Titan 400 (German, I think) and the UK-designed but now German-made (available from Craft Supplies) VB-36. Both are capable of swinging large diameters and built like the proverbial tank. I may be able to put you in touch with the owner of a Titan if you're interested...Neither of these lathes get a lot of mention here in the states.

Pete Jordan
02-03-2016, 6:16 PM
Iv'e got one and love it

Roger Chandler
02-03-2016, 7:00 PM
You know.....it would be great if turners who own a Serious SL2542 would post about their experiences, and what it is that they like about that lathe.

Geoff Whaling
02-04-2016, 3:46 PM
Or an Omega Stubby - S750 or S1000 lathe. Not the bed length of the Serious lathe but a very well engineered lathe. The AUD conversion is very much in favour of US purchasers at the moment.

Thomas Bennett
02-08-2016, 9:54 AM
Barry , Why do you need all that weight? I had a Powermatic 3520B and added a welded steel box filled with 300 lbs of sand to help with large turnings, coring, etc. Without the weight , I found the Powermatic would bounce and jump all over the place. When I switched to the American Beauty , I never got around to adding weight or bolting it to the floor. I turn a lot of large items. I made a 48 inch faceplate for off center wall pieces. I make pedestal/plant stands with 16-20 inch x 36 inch logs. I turn the big stuff slow and have not had any problems .
The Serious looks like a fine machine with many interesting features. I would be proud to own one. I just don"t get why you would buy it solely because of the added weight.

John Sincerbeaux
02-08-2016, 1:43 PM
I have a German made VB36, w tail stock. It's bolted to my shop floor (concrete). It is rock solid, zero vibration, and whisper quiet.
A lot has been mentioned here about a pendant control. The VB has a control box on a chord that you can put anywhere on the lathe (strong magnet). But what is more important to me is the foot switch. I can't imagine hollowing without it. When I hollow, I use maybe three different speeds total so I rarely ever need to be anywhere near a speed control. But I turn the lathe on and off hundreds of times during the hollowing process so the foot switch is king.
Last thing! The noise generated by metal tube lathes are to me, disturbing. I learned to hollow large hollow forms on a Oneway 2436. A friend of mine hollows large HF's on his AB. When you're banging away on those first cuts, the energy that transmits down from the tool rest into the steel tube can be.... Well, very loud! My VB is considerably more quiet.
Did I say I love my VB😜

Roger Chandler
02-08-2016, 2:16 PM
It is truly amazing how an inquiry for information on a particular lathe, turns into a veritable plethora of advocacy for different lathes! :D Not a complaint at all, ...but I just find it to be an interesting phenomenon! ;)

Roger Chandler
02-08-2016, 2:18 PM
Iv'e got one and love itPete, do you have a Serious SL2542 or one of the other lathes mentioned here..........that was not clear in your post since it came after a post about a Titan 400 and a Vb-36.

If you do have a Serious SL2542, would you post about why you love it? I think most of us turners like to hear others assessments of equipment on the market......it helps inform us as to what is available, and the experiences with such equipment. Seems that is part of why we all frequent the forums. :)

Roger Chandler
02-08-2016, 2:30 PM
Okay, about this pendant.........I just went back and watched the video of the SL2542, and it does indeed have an emergency stop pendant on it that can be positioned anywhere on the lathe. It is not a full lathe control pendant, but a red mushroom type button that shuts the lathe off.

Just thought that should be added to this thread since it was a matter of discussion here. My bad for not remembering that fact, as it has been probably 18 months or better since I watched that video, but like I tell some folks.......the older I get, the better my forgetter works! :o :D

Geoff Whaling
02-08-2016, 3:46 PM
Okay, about this pendant.........I just went back and watched the video of the SL2542, and it does indeed have an emergency stop pendant on it that can be positioned anywhere on the lathe. It is not a full lathe control pendant, but a red mushroom type button that shuts the lathe off.

I did notice the E-stop pendant in the Serious lathe video. It is a very good & commendable safety improvement however a turner still has to access the speed control from a potentially unsafe zone or cross an unsafe zone to make speed adjustments. Hopefully all lathe manufacturers will follow the Serious E-Stop example as a minimum design requirement.

I'm not sure why hobbyists accept machines that have potentially very dangerous machine control placement and designs that would fail industrial machine hazard analysis.

John Sincerbeaux
02-08-2016, 5:24 PM
It is truly amazing how an inquiry for information on a particular lathe, turns into a veritable plethora of advocacy for different lathes! :D Not a complaint at all, ...but I just find it to be an interesting phenomenon! ;)

Well, sort of!
The op actually mentions two lathes in his "inquiry".
He also mentions "features" that he desires in a lathe and finally stated he wants to turn "big gnarly stuff".
When I was searching for my first and last lathe , I loved threads like this.

Doug Ladendorf
02-08-2016, 6:53 PM
And I seem to remember a few threads where someone asked about a specific lathe, Laguna as an example, and they ended up getting LOTs of advice about another lathe. :-)

Anon

Roger Chandler
02-08-2016, 7:34 PM
And I seem to remember a few threads where someone asked about a specific lathe, Laguna as an example, and they ended up getting LOTs of advice about another lathe. :-)

AnonHey......I said I wasn't complaining! :D
I just find it an interesting phenomenon! At least the Laguna & Grizzly are the same basic lathe, just different paint....:D
Doug....you made me chuckle a bit! ;)

Doug Ladendorf
02-08-2016, 9:19 PM
Doug....you made me chuckle a bit! ;)

Good! We don't get enough of that!

Back to Seriousness, the Serious Lathe looks like a heck of a machine, fully functional pendant or not. If you get a chance to try it out and like it go get it and have fun making big stuff (while being safe of course).

Roger Chandler
02-08-2016, 9:41 PM
Good! We don't get enough of that!

Back to Seriousness, the Serious Lathe looks like a heck of a machine, fully functional pendant or not. If you get a chance to try it out and like it go get it and have fun making big stuff (while being safe of course).
I told Scott that at some point I want to have a go on one of his SL2542 units. He said he would try to arrange it when I am ready.

I have turned on a Robust American Beauty, and other makes, so I feel I owe ot to myself to turn on a Serious Lathe before I make a final decision on a premium lathe, which will likely be my last lathe purchase. Nothing like being able to make a personal full blown comparison.

Thomas Bennett
02-09-2016, 9:45 AM

In his original post he mentions the American Beauty and he wants to " turn the big gnarly stuff". I thought it relevant to comment about my experience turning large items with the American Beauty .. Guess I will just keep my thoughts and questions to myself.

Roger Chandler
02-09-2016, 9:54 AM
In his original post he mentions the American Beauty and he wants to " turn the big gnarly stuff". I thought it relevant to comment about my experience turning large items with the American Beauty .. Guess I will just keep my thoughts and questions to myself.
No, not at all, Thomas! That is not what I meant! I was just finding the process and how we each draw from our own experience with other lathes relevant......so fire away! I have turned on a Robust AB, and I really like the lathe as well. He did mention the AB, so your answer was certainly in the ball park, Thomas.

No doubt this same phenomenon has occurred thousands of times over the course of time on the forums....I just find it all very interesting, as it shows how each of us has a different path in our formation as a turner, even though there are commonalities as well in our journey as a turner.

Absolutely no offense intended! This kind of thing is part of why I enjoy the interactions on the forums.....these interactions and the potential for learning is why I have kept my membership here and a couple of other forums. I appreciate my fellow "Creekers!"