PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice/suggestions on finishes and application there of.....

Doug Kircher
02-01-2016, 6:35 PM
I am working on some layered art pieces. These pieces have from 8 to 16 layers of 1/8" baltic birch plywood. Some are stained, some are not. I have been using Polyacrylic, I like the No Order of them as I am doing this inside. let me also add, I am in AZ, so really low humidity hear. At first I was using the brushing, then switched to the rattle can version of Minwax Polycrylic. Got through the first batch for Christmas, now have more to do....I did the first coat after staining with a brush, but that is OK with the bottom pieces, but the upper layers are having issues with bubbles, and then having to take a small brush to wipe out the small crevices is time consuming. Will this still be an issue if I start spraying instead? Is there a better water based product I should look at.....any suggestions would be appreciated....Also, if it matters, I am using a Satin finish.

doug

Scott Holmes
02-01-2016, 11:18 PM
You may want to try the rattle can of shellac. Dries in <10 minutes.
Will give the piece a very very light straw color (warmth that the Polycrylic can't add)