PDA

View Full Version : The price of saws

Curtis Niedermier
02-01-2016, 5:06 PM
Do you guys think the going rate for handsaws and back saws is a little high these days? I guess I'm mostly referring to eBay prices, but it seems to me like there's a lot of competition for these tools now and it's tough to score a good deal. Or maybe they're worth what people are paying... who knows. I just know I get better prices at flea markets and such and I get to actually inspect the tool.

Are vintage tool dealers getting similar prices? What about at tool swap meets held by the Midwest Tool Collectors?

Also, there seems to be a new abundance of saw smiths selling refurbished saws for pretty stout prices. I have a hard time coughing up $150 for a D-8 that's been "fully restored, hand sharpened and set" by a saw smith whose credentials I can't verify, when I can find the same saw for $5 somewhere and give it the same treatment.

What do you guys think?

Jim Koepke
02-01-2016, 5:11 PM
When someone sees a pristine saw going for big bucks on ebay, they feel they should get the same for their rusty old beater.

When someone sees the prices folks are paying for saws, they feel maybe they can cash in on the business.

If you are finding the same saws for $5, my suggestion is for you to pick them up and give them the treatment.

Who knows, maybe you too can make a hefty profit for a little work.

jtk

Nicholas Lawrence
02-01-2016, 5:52 PM
It is not just saws. The same thing is happening with planes, chisels, drills, and braces. I think what Jim is saying about the pricing has a lot to do with it. People look in that "sold listings" section, and price off of that, without regard to condition. eBay prices are usually not reasonable in my opinion, but some people don't have a lot of other sources for tools.

Jim Koepke
02-01-2016, 8:31 PM
It is not just saws. The same thing is happening with planes, chisels, drills, and braces.

I was shocked today looking at plane prices. #3 Stanley/Bailey planes seem a bit outrageous. Maybe it is because 'you know who' said they are his favorite size.

Some that looked to have reasonable starting prices had shipping at a ridiculous level, what a deal. There were a few exceptions. Most exceptions had other problems with broken totes or missing parts. One was listed as buy it now at $119 + $13.95 shipping.

jtk

Stew Denton
02-01-2016, 9:40 PM
Hi All,

I wonder a lot about eBay prices, but see a lot of planes that the prices are totally out of line on, IMHO, but you see them listed at those prices for month after month, they don't sell at those prices.....they just set there on the site.

I see hand saws that are also totally out of reason, but I don't follow the saw prices...just the Bedrock plane prices, but at what most of them list for I won't be buying any of them any time soon. I look at socket chisels too, and they also seem way too high. I'm not I a hurry though, to buy another plane, and I will wait them out.

I have to remind myself though when I see a nice carpenters saw......I have plenty of hand saws.....I don't need any more saws.

Yes, though Curtis, in my view the prices are way too high. I haven't been to a flea market though, but hope to this summer or in the spring when the weather warms up.

Stew

Glen Canaday
02-01-2016, 9:51 PM
I think Jim hit the nail on the head with the condition comment. Sellers are looking to cash in...that is the entire reason they sell on ebay at all. They see something in the sold listings, then assume that their unit will go for that plus a little more. They have the mindset that it only takes one buyer to get the price they want for it, and they will wait for the right buyer to come along. The moment someone pays what they ask, they are proven correct.

To combat this, we all have to stop buying on ebay en masse, or we will have to stop paying idiotic prices. Neither are going to happen, so we find our equilibrium by digging out the deals..sellers with no idea what they have, and those motivated to move the goods. I have scored some unbelievably stupids deals just like that.

Tool club prices tend to be lower for beaten up stuff and higher for minty fresh stuff, in my experience. It comes down to the art of negotiation really. YMMV and all that.

Nick Stokes
02-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Supply and Demand.

There is more interest in hand tools. And despite there being a HUGE supply of stanley and disston, it is a static supply.

I'm not super smart, but it would make sense that the long term prices for these will never go back down. How could it? There are no more, of these, being made.

Brian Holcombe
02-01-2016, 10:23 PM
I concur with Nick, hand tools are becoming very interesting to many many people.

Bill McNiel
02-01-2016, 11:47 PM
Craig's List stuff is usually priced better than EBay but, having said that, there has been a rusted #7 with a $100 price tag on for at least a month up here. Jim's "estate sale" approach is probably the best way to find "bargains" in places where flea markets don't exist,

Patrick Chase
02-01-2016, 11:57 PM
Maybe it is because 'you know who' said they are his favorite size.

D'oh! Schwartzed again....

Patrick Chase
02-02-2016, 12:00 AM
Supply and Demand.

There is more interest in hand tools. And despite there being a HUGE supply of stanley and disston, it is a static supply.

I'm not super smart, but it would make sense that the long term prices for these will never go back down. How could it? There are no more, of these, being made.

I agree about root cause (demand increase) but disagree about the prices never going back down. Demand can decrease just as easily as it can increase, after all.

Patrick Chase
02-02-2016, 12:01 AM
I think Jim hit the nail on the head with the condition comment. Sellers are looking to cash in...that is the entire reason they sell on ebay at all. They see something in the sold listings, then assume that their unit will go for that plus a little more. They have the mindset that it only takes one buyer to get the price they want for it, and they will wait for the right buyer to come along. The moment someone pays what they ask, they are proven correct.

This seems oddly reminiscent of the approach taken by real estate agents circa 2005.

Jim Koepke
02-02-2016, 1:04 AM

I agree about root cause (demand increase) but disagree about the prices never going back down. Demand can decrease just as easily as it can increase, after all.

Have to agree with Patrick on this. If new woodworkers do not come in to keep a demand for woodworking tools and the collectors do not create more collectors all of these tools will end up on garage or storage shed shelves like the did 50 years ago. They will then drop in price and the process may begin again.

jtk

Chris Hachet
02-02-2016, 8:01 AM
I find limiting the number of tools I need and only keeping users is an excellent way to avoid sinking a lot of cash into tools that will gather dust.

That and I do not mind the occasional rust hunt.