PDA

View Full Version : Advice using reclaimed pine beams

Scott Cenicola
02-01-2016, 11:16 AM
I just picked up these really cool reclaimed beams from an old hotel here in FL. My wife wants a new tv unit. I understand the need for a metal detector and some debugging. I need advice on two issues.

1- Joinery. These are almost 3" thick. I'm thinking of using lag screws and tee nuts, or possibly mending plates in the back. I will attach a picture of the design.

2- Finishing. I would like to leave as much of the natural patina as possible. I am thinking about sanding as lightly as possible and then multiple coats of finish ( water base or oil?) and sanding to get an extremely smooth finish.

I don't do much with reclaimed wood, and you don't read much about it on the creek. Any advice would be appreciated.

PS. Having a hard time uploading pics from my phone, will have to try tonight when i get home.

Erik Loza
02-01-2016, 2:39 PM
We have a dining room table and occasional table that a craftsman friend made for us, out of reclaimed Hurricane Katrina Longleaf Pine. I assume yours will be Longleaf. One of our tables has an oiled finish and one has a poly finish. I prefer the oil, myself. One thing to be aware of is that Longleaf often still has a ton of pitch in it, which may weep out with time. A few small splits have opened in our table with the poly finish and I can see the pitch inside them. Not really an issue, just something to be aware of.

It's a beautiful wood, by the way. Good luck with your project.

Erik