PDA

View Full Version : I don't pull punches when...

David Rose
06-11-2003, 2:40 AM
it comes to bad service. Therefore it's only fair to give praise when it's deserved.

Sneaky BIG gloat... for me at least! I got in a Leigh FMT last week. It is a nice piece of work. After cutting some test pieces, I had about five questions/issues. I emailed Leigh knowing that they would probably want to talk to me in person. Sho 'nuff! They tried to call me all day yesterday on our day off. Then I got an email asking *when* could they catch me?

I got a call from British Colombia this afternoon. Let me say, I am not too hard to "brush off" until I start to get really ticked with a company. But this guy (Ken) either knew all the right buttons to push or he really likes and enjoys woodworkers! Likely both. ;-) Whichever... I wanted to buy him supper after we finished! Lee Valley is the only other company who has made me feel (lastingly) good when I had problems. What is it about "these Canadians"? :-) I never felt any more welcome as a "visitor" than I did on a trip to Canada years ago, but that's another story.

I need to take lessons from Ken. He had my email in front of him and addressed each question. He agreed that each was an issue. He is sending parts immediately for two problems with another promised in the near future. He addressed the other two problems with suggestions that should work. We even visited (on his dime) about other potential uses for the FMT.

There was none of this "this ain't rocket science, Sonny" or "wood is going to move a foot anyway" talk. I really felt like I was talking to a woodworker who had pull where I needed it instead of a technician or salesman. Leigh has their "act together" on service. I had heard that about other companies too, but I have made several calls for service to several major companies and never got it... in the US. Sad. :(

David, who is still proud to be an US citizen

Dave Arbuckle
06-11-2003, 10:46 AM
David, if memory serves me correctly, "that guy" Ken is also the President, and Inventor, of Leigh Industries. Kind of amazing, isn't it?

(pick up any cool tips you'd like to share with your SMC buddies? ;))

Dave

David Rose
06-11-2003, 4:53 PM
Wow! No wonder the "guy" was so relaxed! That was my feeling from the beginning on this service call. He actually seems to *enjoy* what he's doing.

I probably don't know anything of which you aren't aware, but...
If you find that the mortise and tennon are very far off center, front to back, there are replacement rails for the sight that will allow more movement.

I found the crossbar that helps to set the stop bar to 90 degrees a real bugger to get dead on. In fact, I haven't quite made it yet. There is a new stop bar with aligning pins in the crossbar.

In the future there will be some new inserts for other purposes for the jig. They were not mentioned by Ken until I asked, so I will not get into specifics to keep them from being "snowballed" with requests. Ken said the jig was visualized as doing many things on conception. Then reality set in. :) But some of those things will come to pass when tooling (moulds) are affordable.

Instead of extension boards on the sides, I drilled pieces of "t" slot extrusion and screwed them to the extension plates. I made wooden stops to slide in the slot with quick locks. This works better for me so far than some positioning methods.

For centered tenons, I set a marking gauge to 1/2 the diameter of the piece and mark it from both sides. Any slight error forms a dead center mark. I do the same on thickness. It's quick and accurate. If the mortise falls at the end of the stick, I mark it with the same settings.

To help with no support in the dust collection area, I filled one side with a precision thickness block of wood easily removed with a knob from the back. It only gives mediocre help since it is quickly eaten away for the most part. But it helps a little... I think.

I've just started using the machine. It's hard for me to think of it as a jig since the settings are elaborate. But the FMT comes with a thorough manual and a lot of it is intuitive. And one way or another almost any error can be adjusted out! I almost capitalized this as it is important to me. Once set, many things will likely not be changed, but I still feel better knowing I can get it where I want it.

Dave Arbuckle you are a scoundrel! :D You really helped cause me to take a big bite out of my tool budget. :-) I wish I could just blame it all on you, but there would be no "dealers" if there were no "junkies". :mad: :D Thanks really. I'm indebted to you also for helping restore my faith in the industry and the people who make it work.

I would send some of my ideas to Leigh if I didn't suspect that Ken has already thought of them. Should I anyway?

David

Dave Arbuckle
06-11-2003, 5:27 PM
There is a new stop bar with aligning pins in the crossbar

That IS good news. I too found that to be an entire pain to get set, I think it took me about 5 tries.

I'll look forward in the future to hearing about new templates.

Dave Arbuckle you are a scoundrel!

Ah, I've been called worse... ;) Hopefully you'll like it much as I do.

I would send some of my ideas to Leigh if I didn't suspect that Ken has already thought of them. Should I anyway?

Why not? I'm reasonably sure he wouldn't dislike you for caring enough to share your ideas.

Dave

David Rose
06-11-2003, 8:15 PM
Dave,

"That IS good news. I too found that to be an entire pain to get set, I think it took me about 5 tries."

You did good! :-)

"Hopefully you'll like it much as I do."

Yep! It is quite a tool. I think it will be a boon to accuracy and a time saver too.

"Why not? I'm reasonably sure he wouldn't dislike you for caring enough to share your ideas."

nudge... nudge... Good point! Will do.

David

Phil Phelps
06-11-2003, 9:16 PM
Dave Arbuckle you are a scoundrel!

Ah, I've been called worse... ;) Hopefully you'll like it much as I do.

How about you $&**@# scoundrel !!!:p
Don't mention it, Lefty. :rolleyes: ;)

David Rose
06-11-2003, 10:36 PM
"I hope you like it as much as I do" I think he was speaking of the jig. But just in case you are right, you "call" him, buddy, he needs it! :D

David

David Rose
06-13-2003, 1:24 AM
the timing the parts came in today.

David