PDA

View Full Version : Flea Market Find

Cody Cantrell
01-31-2016, 8:11 PM
Had to go look at a job this afternoon and stoped at the flea market on the way home. Found this coping saw for $3. It is a Millers Falls No.42 rebranded as a Craftsman. Have had the MF 42 before and it was a decent saw. Decided not to keep it as they bring good money and I had a different one that I like better.

bridger berdel
01-31-2016, 9:25 PM
I have one f those. Nice saw.

Phil Mueller
01-31-2016, 11:44 PM
Cody, I'm not all that familiar with coping saws...what indicates it's a Millers Falls? I see Crafsman at estate sales, but pass on them...maybe I passed up a good saw:confused:

steven c newman
02-01-2016, 12:44 AM
The Millers Falls saw I have ( A No.2 fret.coping saw) was stamped on the frame. With a logo and all.
I have two "normal" coping saws, almost like the OP's saw. One has Disston HK Porter No.10, the other one has Atkins No. 50 stamped on it.

Sears was a bit "funny". Each year or so, they would let out a contract for tools, as Sears did not make any. Whomever got the contract would then stamp it with whatever logo Sears wanted....otherwise, it was just a Disston ( saws for this post) Atkins, Millers Falls, or whomever got that contract that year. They were all good saws, as Sears had that warranty thing going on with handtools.

Cody Cantrell
02-01-2016, 12:58 AM
What Steven said. The No.42 had a special blade rotation mechanism and the round wire frame as well as the flared handle. The reason for their popularity is their having been mentioned by a well known woodworker/blogger.

Phil Mueller
02-01-2016, 7:20 AM
Thanks gents! Don't think I've passed on anything looking like that..but now I know.

Jim Koepke
02-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Thanks gents! Don't think I've passed on anything looking like that..but now I know.

It is good to know the indicators of the tools you might be looking to add to your tool box.

A Wards Master #45 can be had for a lot less than a Stanley #45. Except for the cosmetics of the Stanley brand being removed and the adjuster wheels painted red it is the same plane.

It is the same with braces, chisels and many other tools.

Saw an interesting brace while looking through Sandy' Loot the other day. It had a Western Union Telegraph marking on it. Now that would be a fun find.

jtk