PDA

View Full Version : New Pix

Keith Burns
09-10-2005, 2:57 PM
One of my latest. Maple with walnut foot. 5" dia. x 8" tall. 135 pieces. As always your input is appreciated. Thanks for looking.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/berniewood/Bowls034Medium.jpg

Jerry Clark
09-10-2005, 3:21 PM
Wow, That is beautiful-- the walnut accent really make it special-- Thanks for sharing!:D

Chris Barton
09-10-2005, 3:49 PM
Keith,

What a great looking segmented piece. I have to say that I have been too timid to try one of these yet but, you are providing inspiration! It looks like it belongs in the Metropolitan Museum of Art!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-10-2005, 4:46 PM
Keith....when it comes to turning segmented pieces.....You da' Man! Beautiful work, as always!

Jim Becker
09-10-2005, 5:16 PM
Very nice form, Keith. The "window" effect is really nice, too...blending the best of a solid segmented work with some open segments is a great idea.

Jack Hogoboom
09-10-2005, 5:42 PM
How much do you want for it? That is a beautiful piece.

Jack

Dick Parr
09-10-2005, 7:36 PM
Great job Keith, a beautiful turning. ;)

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-10-2005, 8:16 PM
Beautiful piece Kieth.

Keeping in mine that AT THIS TIME, I have no intention of ever doing one of these. Enough engineering when I was working full time. I do what I do for FUN now.

That said..............so you know I'm not any kind of expert here, but seeing the work of an EXPERT in our WW club, I have an observation.

The only thing you might want to try and figure out how to do is have the grain match all the way around the piece. It appears that in some cases on your piece that the grain curves upward then downward without consistancy.

This is not a major thing, but maybe the next step in the level of excellance.

Hope this is constructive, as that is how is is offered.

It IS a brautiful piece as is!

Bruce

Michael Stafford
09-11-2005, 7:29 AM
Keith, a lovely and graceful piece. I dabble in segmented but have not attempted a piece that narrow and tall. Do you stack and turn as you go or do you assemble the whole piece and then turn it sorta like it is a hollow form? A very nice looking piece with clean lines and lots of visual interest. :)

Shelley Bolster
09-11-2005, 9:04 AM
Wow Keith, that is so pretty! I have always admired segmented turnings and am in awe the time it must take......... not to mention the patience! I agree with BM.......the piece is very graceful and just lovely to look at.

Ernie Nyvall
09-11-2005, 2:10 PM
Another beauty Keith. I really like that form with the open segments at the top.

Ernie

Keith Burns
09-12-2005, 3:09 PM
Thanks to all for your comments.

TO: Michael, I assemble the entire piece before turning like a hollow form.

TO: Bruce, I appreciate your critisium and it was taken constructive. I don't try to match the grain because when I 've tried it in the past I always ended up with one odd piece and that looked worse to me than random placement. What I do try to do is make one ring from one board.

TO: Jack, how much you got? Just kidding :D . I don't have a clue how much but if I had to guess about $300.00. I've never sold any of my segmented work.