PDA

View Full Version : Best book Neanderthal style?

Lasse Hilbrandt
01-31-2016, 10:14 AM
Which is the best book on woodworking techniques neanderthal style ? I need a good book that covers most joints and how to make them with hand tools.

Kees Heiden
01-31-2016, 10:27 AM
Well, Lost art Press just released the two volumes with lots of articles from Hayward. That must be quite a selection, but there are no reviews yet. One plus, it is from an elder English workman who became the editor from one of the British mags. Most of these old English books are pretty good.

Nicholas Lawrence
01-31-2016, 10:53 AM
I went through a phase where I was expecting to be able to learn to use hand tools by reading about them. For me at any rate, it really does not work that way. The only way I learn anything useful is by trying it.

With that caveat, the book I reach for more than any other is "The complete woodworker" by Bernard Jones. It was reprinted some years ago, and I got it used for about $9. It has countless illustrations of joints, and of the books I have bought over the years it is the only one I regularly go dig out.

Nick Stokes
01-31-2016, 11:24 AM
I LOVED this book. I built every project in it from start to finish.

http://www.amazon.com/Working-Wood-Artisan-Course-Sellers/dp/0956967302

I am looking for suggestions also for my next book to work through. Curious to see what else is posted.

Glen Canaday
01-31-2016, 11:48 AM
There have been a couple of blog reviews of the charles hayward books from lap. Reviews have been favorable. I havent seen it.

I just spent my budget on a magically undocumented block plane, and with the area a meet coming up right quick, i doubt I'll get a chance, either.

Mel Fulks
01-31-2016, 12:25 PM
I've used several of the Heyward books and like all of them. He was a serious highly respected guy and his books have a lot of good content. No "the rest of the story will be in my next book" .

Phil Mueller
01-31-2016, 12:44 PM
FYI, Paul Sellers will be releasing a new book sometime in the next month or so. If interested, you can sign up for an email notification through his website (paulsellers.com). Look in the menu for books. It will cover all essential hand tools, sharpening, and use.

Kees Heiden
01-31-2016, 2:53 PM
I have a small book from Hayward about woodwoking joints, translated in Dutch. It's good, just basic stuff but well explained.

Lasse Hilbrandt
01-31-2016, 3:10 PM
I LOVED this book. I built every project in it from start to finish.

http://www.amazon.com/Working-Wood-Artisan-Course-Sellers/dp/0956967302

I am looking for suggestions also for my next book to work through. Curious to see what else is posted.

I like Paul Sellers, so I just bought that book. Thanks fellas :)

Matt Knights
01-31-2016, 4:06 PM
I have most of Haywards books and they are all excellent. As recommended above Bernard E Jones' practical woodworker is an amazing source of info, I have a pressing from 1934 and they are in constant use, he also wrote a book called the Complete Woodworker this is also fantastic. Another one to consider is the essential woodworker by Robert Wearing, I have read this at least 3 times.

Matt

Bill Houghton
01-31-2016, 4:58 PM
By reading multiple books, you'll get different perspectives. Go to your library and see what you find; you've already paid the taxes to support it, might as well make use of it.

steven c newman
01-31-2016, 5:13 PM
Might try and snag a few of Underhill's workbooks? He has about six out, at last count...

The Woodwright's Shop...

Lasse Hilbrandt
01-31-2016, 5:34 PM
I sure do pay lots of tax but Im pretty sure I wont find what Im looking for at the library. There is litterally No Danish litterature about woodworking.

steven c newman
01-31-2016, 5:50 PM
for right now...go to....pbs.org click onto The Woodwright's Shop. And sit back and enjoy all the shows he has..

Tony Wilkins
01-31-2016, 8:48 PM
Jim Toplin The Traditional Woodworker
and either of Tom Fidgens unplugged books.

Stanley Covington
01-31-2016, 9:05 PM
Ditto the Underhill books.

Also, the set of books by Bernard.

Bengt Nilsson
02-01-2016, 12:21 AM
Lasse,
You can get most of the Lost Art Press titles from Hyvlar.se in Sweden. They are all focused on hand tools.

Lasse Hilbrandt
02-01-2016, 12:56 AM
Thanks. I bought my LN no5 there.

Zach Dillinger
02-01-2016, 8:26 AM
In addition to those already named (Roy Underhill being my favorite and the most inspirational to me personally), I love "Modern Practical Joinery" by George Ellis.

Warren Mickley
02-01-2016, 9:31 AM
I sure do pay lots of tax but Im pretty sure I wont find what Im looking for at the library. There is litterally No Danish litterature about woodworking.
When I read this quote I looked over and right next to me was an open book Gammelt vaerktoj. There is a great picture of Alfr. Nielsen & Sons vaerksted.

I use 18th century books to learn historic techniques. The books written in the early 20th century are helpful, but you have to consider that handwork took a nosedive in the early 19th century. Most 1900 how-to manuals are kind of watered down. It would be pretty interesting to uncover a Danish book on woodworking from 1770 or something.

Snedker

Sean Hughto
02-01-2016, 9:57 AM
https://literaryworkshop.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/watson-books-2013-2.jpg
Love Aldren!

keith wootton
02-01-2016, 4:07 PM
i like james krenov. you may be able to find his books used online for cheap.

Jim Koepke
02-01-2016, 4:16 PM
Lost Arts Press > http://blog.lostartpress.com/ < is in the works of publishing a book that may have some of what you want.

The Woodworker: The Charles H. Hayward Years

http://blog.lostartpress.com/2016/01/31/get-to-know-charles-h-hayward-part-i/

Not sure if this covers the information you seek:

The first volume is on tools and the second is on techniques. The volumes are organized as follows:

Volume I: Tools
Sharpening
Setting Out Tools & Chisels
Planes
Saws
Boring Tools
Carving
Turning
Veneering & Inlay

Volume II: Techniques
General Techniques
Miscellaneous Tools & Techniques

jtk

Bill Houghton
02-01-2016, 4:41 PM
Sorry, Lasse, I failed to notice it was you posting, and so reacted based on what can usually be found in American libraries. I am sorry to hear Denmark's libraries are so deficient; maybe we need to entice you over here for a visit!

Lasse Hilbrandt
02-01-2016, 5:23 PM
Sorry, Lasse, I failed to notice it was you posting, and so reacted based on what can usually be found in American libraries. I am sorry to hear Denmark's libraries are so deficient; maybe we need to entice you over here for a visit!

This is where this site could use the "like" button ;)

Tony Wilkins
02-01-2016, 8:12 PM
I thought the Danes used axes and knives only for their woodworking ;)

Mike Allen1010
02-01-2016, 9:32 PM

+1 Helpful, information about contemporary hand tool woodworking, some basic shop appliances and projects.

Chris Hachet
02-02-2016, 8:28 AM

A second to both, I love Fidgen especially.

Chris Hachet
02-02-2016, 8:29 AM
Thanks. I bought my LN no5 there.

A wonderful plane...were I not so in love with my vintage Stanley, I would own one...

Stephen Rosenthal
02-02-2016, 9:29 PM
Not a book recommendation, but since Underhill was mentioned if you haven't seen his TED X talk here's a link.
http://youtu.be/Au1TbIyLcPU

Funny and inspirational from an iconic handtool woodworker.

Andrew Pitonyak
02-02-2016, 10:09 PM
"Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking" contains lots of hand tool things, but he also has some non-hand tool stuff.

Someone already mentioned "Hand Tools Their Ways and Workings" by Aldren A. Watson. Nice book

If you can find a copy of "The Joiner and Cabinet maker", that might be of interest. Yes, Lost Art Press.

I recommend the book "Success with Joints" by Ralph Laughton. It is all hand tools and joints.

Andrew Pitonyak
02-02-2016, 10:14 PM
Oh yes, and look at Mortise and Tenon Magazine.

Mike Holbrook
02-03-2016, 12:18 AM
I paid a visit to Lost Art Press today to check out the Hayward's work collection. While I was there I found "The Anarchist's Design Book" and ordered a copy. The bound version is apparently still at the printer but I got the download and checked it out. The wife and I have been looking at cabins in the Blue Ridge mountains and I have been looking for simple basic furniture designs, something a little more stable & comfortable than the popular local furniture made from actual sticks & limbs, sometimes with the bark still on. I took Schwarz's class at Highland Woodworking on making staked saw benches. I believe the book evolved from that class and a couple ideas Chris had for making simple furniture. The book focuses on "Staked Furniture" and "Boarded Furniture". I am enjoying the simplified designs and methods. It is hard to argue against designs/techniques/methods that have stood the test of time.

Chris Hachet
02-03-2016, 7:22 AM
Oh yes, and look at Mortise and Tenon Magazine.

I plan to start with them next, been to busy to order a copy.

Chris Hachet
02-03-2016, 7:23 AM
I paid a visit to Lost Art Press today to check out the Hayward's work collection. While I was there I found "The Anarchist's Design Book" and ordered a copy. The bound version is apparently still at the printer but I got the download and checked it out. The wife and I have been looking at cabins in the Blue Ridge mountains and I have been looking for simple basic furniture designs, something a little more stable & comfortable than the popular local furniture made from actual sticks & limbs, sometimes with the bark still on. I took Schwarz's class at Highland Woodworking on making staked saw benches. I believe the book evolved from that class and a couple ideas Chris had for making simple furniture. The book focuses on "Staked Furniture" and "Boarded Furniture". I am enjoying the simplified designs and methods. It is hard to argue against designs/techniques/methods that have stood the test of time.

While not a hand tool book per se building Shaker Furniture by Thos Mosier was a good start for me in the craft. I plan on getting the lost art press stuff as soon as my addiction to using every spare cent for actual lumber subsides...