PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Seal Sub?

Jason Christenson
09-10-2005, 2:14 PM
I am a manager for a local moving company and dud to one of our drivers general lack of competance. I have access to some branches that were knocked down today. I wood like to cut up at least some of it up for pens or bowls or something. I don't think I have time to order Anchor Seal and wait for delivery. Is there a reasonable substitute that I can get at Menards or Home Depot? Or are there retail outlets that carry Anchor Seal?

Thanks
Jason

Don Baer
09-10-2005, 2:19 PM
I've often wodered if you could get some parifin wax, the kind used for canning and melt it for sealing blanks. It is avaible at most grocery stores. Maybe someone else know if this will work.

Steve Clardy
09-10-2005, 2:20 PM
Two coats of latex paint will get you out of a pinch. That's all I ever used.
Had a friend that used roofing tar, thinned with mineral spirits so it could be brushed on.

Clem Wixted
09-10-2005, 3:06 PM
In a pinch you could use wax. Heat it carefully in a pan (or an old crock pot) and dip the ends of the branches into it. Be careful in handling the cooled wax because it is brittle.

Clem

Chris Barton
09-10-2005, 3:53 PM
There is also a product called Drylock (sp?) and is intended to waterproof basements that might work. In fact, it might work too well. But, if all you want to do is keep the wood from checking until you have time to tun it, I am sure it would work.

Jim Becker
09-10-2005, 5:13 PM
Some retailers, such as Woodcraft carry Anchorseal in small quanities...at a price, of course. You can also use melted paraffin...it must be applied HOT so it soaks in a bit. It should solidify clear. If not, it was not hot enough.

Michael Cody
09-10-2005, 5:43 PM
Pickup a gallon of Elmer's White glue (8-10$) and cut it 50% w/water. Works as good as Anchor seal but doesn't have it's shelf life.

Jason Christenson
09-10-2005, 6:20 PM
I just might try out the Elmer's Glue suggestion. Thanks.

Jason