PDA

View Full Version : Sphere Cutting Tool

Tim Boger
01-30-2016, 5:14 PM
I just posted an inquiry in the classifieds expressing interest in buying a Sphere Cutter for my Jet lathe.

Anyone want to share pros / cons about the Sphere Cutters that are available?

Thanks,
Tim

Marvin Hasenak
01-30-2016, 5:45 PM
I never bought one, but I did make the one described on Lamar Crafts Woodturning site. I only needed it to make two 8" diameter balls, worked pretty good. Even with the time I spent building it, I figure t saved me time and mistakes. Both were identical son the first tries, almost a miracle in itself.

Tim Boger
01-30-2016, 5:50 PM
Hey Marvin ... thanks for the info, I'll look into Lamar Crafts.
Tim

Marvin Hasenak
01-30-2016, 6:44 PM
I am sorry that should be Laymar Crafts. If you cannot find it let me know and I will send you the link.

Larry Matchett
01-30-2016, 9:04 PM
I tried them all and Carters sphere system is the best I found. Lot's of reasons. They have a good video of it in use.

Tim Boger
01-30-2016, 9:10 PM
That's great advice Larry, I really appreciate it. I'll take a close look at the tool.

Thank you !!

Tim

Bill Blasic
01-31-2016, 11:56 AM
The Vermec Sphere Jig is without a doubt the best jig anywhere.

Tim Boger
01-31-2016, 12:15 PM
Hi Bill ... Just took a look at the Vermec tool, it appears to ooze quality. It would however, be tough to let go of $375 - 400 depending on options.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

Geoff Whaling
02-02-2016, 3:23 PM

+1 on the Vermec. I own a fair bit of Vermec gear & it is all very well manufactured.

The sphere jig is no exception. Its probably over engineered & its relatively heavy but that is a good thing as it does not suffer from cutter vibration when the main arm is extended for larger spheres. The ability to change the angle of the carbide cutter and the micro adjustment available using the threaded tool arm makes turning difficult woods quite easy as it gives the turner plenty of scope to experiment with optimum cutting angles, depth of cut & feed speed.

My jig is the earlier version. Later models have the indexing pin (equator finder) which makes setting up and aligning the tool for a specific location of a ball element a piece of cake.

I have one Vermec sphere jig at 200 mm center height for my Woodfast M908 lathe and will probably purchase another with a 150 mm height for the Vicmarc VL150.

My only negative comment is about the height from the bed ways to the top surface of the base/swing arm limiting the potential size of spheres that can be turned - but very few turners turn spheres over 4" dia & may turn the occasional 6" sphere. Most models can easily achieve that. :cool:

Tom Albrecht
02-02-2016, 5:06 PM
+1 on the Vermec. I own a fair bit of Vermec gear & it is all very well manufactured.

The sphere jig is no exception. Its probably over engineered & its relatively heavy but that is a good thing as it does not suffer from cutter vibration when the main arm is extended for larger spheres. The ability to change the angle of the carbide cutter and the micro adjustment available using the threaded tool arm makes turning difficult woods quite easy as it gives the turner plenty of scope to experiment with optimum cutting angles, depth of cut & feed speed.

My jig is the earlier version. Later models have the indexing pin (equator finder) which makes setting up and aligning the tool for a specific location of a ball element a piece of cake.

I have one Vermec sphere jig at 200 mm center height for my Woodfast M908 lathe and will probably purchase another with a 150 mm height for the Vicmarc VL150.

My only negative comment is about the height from the bed ways to the top surface of the base/swing arm limiting the potential size of spheres that can be turned - but very few turners turn spheres over 4" dia & may turn the occasional 6" sphere. Most models can easily achieve that. :cool:

Do you mind if I ask what kind of turning you do that requires so many spheres? Is it architectural stuff or artsy stuff? Do you hollow them out and turn them into something else?

Thanks,
TA

John K Jordan
02-02-2016, 5:41 PM

That was the opinion I read elsewhere as well. The last I checked, they were out of stock until April.

JKJ

Don Bunce
02-02-2016, 5:45 PM
The Sphere jig sold by chefwarekits.com might be worth looking at. Makes up to a 6" sphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuLIGdfhWmU

Geoff Whaling
02-03-2016, 4:53 AM
Do you mind if I ask what kind of turning you do that requires so many spheres? Is it architectural stuff or artsy stuff? Do you hollow them out and turn them into something else?

Thanks,
TA

People collect wooden spheres in various woods, as they do with turned eggs. I don't make so many these days as I don't do markets any more.

Tim Boger
02-04-2016, 6:28 AM
As an update, after several emails with Vermec I purchased the (ACC-371 Midi Sphere Turning jig)

The exchange rate for AU$ is favorable so the cost direct from Australia is not too bad.

PM me if you have further interest.

Tim

Dan Hintz
02-04-2016, 8:03 AM
The exchange rate for AU$ is favorable so the cost direct from Australia is not too bad.

Yeah, didn't know about Vermec until these threads showed up... the conversion rate is around 0.7:1 right now, so the largest unit is around US$240. I'm considering picking one up.

Tim Boger
02-04-2016, 8:50 AM
Hey Dan .... the shipping is steep, think they said 110$AU, still turned out less than $300 shipped.

Yeah, didn't know about Vermec until these threads showed up... the conversion rate is around 0.7:1 right now, so the largest unit is around US$240. I'm considering picking one up.

Peter Fabricius
02-04-2016, 9:02 AM
I have been using the model that is now sold by Chefware Kits. The original designer and manufacturer in England asked me for input to the design of this and his Thread Cutting Jig about three years ago and both jigs are great.
The Sphere Jig is really easy to use and is the least expensive of all the jigs available I think???
Carl Jacobsen did the UTube video and shows how easy and efficient the jig is! The UTube link is in a previous post...
Peter F.

Dan Hintz
02-04-2016, 9:47 AM
his Thread Cutting Jig

And this is the other elated tool that I have put off ordering... love to know your thoughts on it and/or others on the market. The one unit I was waiting for has been delayed for YEARS, so I finally gave up on it.

Geoff Whaling
02-04-2016, 3:37 PM
As an update, after several emails with Vermec I purchased the (ACC-371 Midi Sphere Turning jig)

PM me if you have further interest.

Tim

Tim you should be very happy with the jig.

Enzo & Yvonne are great to deal with. I haven't had any issues in many years of purchasing from them. I've met Enzo a few times now and managed to have a very long chat with him in NZ a few years ago about wood turning and life in a small manufacturing business.

US turners really should take advantage of the very low AUD to USD conversion at the moment. You can't go wrong with Vermec, or Vicmarc gear and I don't think there will ever be a better time to purchase a Vicmarc or Omega Stubby lathe if you feel that way inclined. http://omegastubbylathes.com/

I purchased an Escoulen #2 eccentric chuck from the US back in about 2008 as they were not available in Australia. The 5 kg chuck cost about $130 US back then so your $110 is not so bad now.

Peter Fabricius
02-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Well Dan you are in for a treat!
There is a NEW "Interrupted Thread Cutting Jig" coming from Chefware Kits.
It cuts a two start thread that starts at two opposite points on the circumference of a box and then it cuts one quarter of the threads on each side off. This allows you to close the box like you would put a new lens with a bayonet mount on a camera. Place the lid on the box and quarter turn to close the box completely. No chance of cross threading it just locks in place.

I have had this jig to test the prototype for the past six months, I just love the results!
Craig at Chefware Kits has not updated me on the production timeline so I do not know when it is coming out on the market??? Send him a request for information, I am sure he would like to know how much interest in this there will be....

This is a really neat addition to the thread cutting jig that produces something that I have not seen before!
Peter F.

Curtis Myers
02-08-2016, 6:39 AM
Please see below link to "AsWoodTurns" web site for a video on turning a ball without an expensive jig. I tried the technic yesterday and it worked for me. No jig, just a wood jam Chuck to fit the ball.

Video = technic for turning the ball
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3lConTQ-cUw

Video = how to turn the wood faceplate/jam Chuck for turning the balls
http://www.aswoodturns.com/2013/07/simple-wood-faceplates-for-perfect-balls-or-spheres/

all the best
curt