PDA

View Full Version : Traded in a few planes I wasn't using...

steven c newman
01-30-2016, 3:22 PM
For one plane I just might find a use for.
Stanley No.7c. Traded a few old wooden jack planes, and a Dunlap #3, no money involved.
Zero cracks anywhere. Those two holes in the side have threads to them, someone added a fence.
"S" is cast into the lever cap. the four line logo iron is about used up. Have a replacement on hand
Japanning is about 95%. Rosewood handles, there is a worn spot on the horn..
Small brass wheel. Tag says $65......Haven't cleaned this thing up, yet.

Not too bad a day?:D

Jim Koepke
01-30-2016, 3:47 PM
Looks like a good score.

From what can be seen, the base and frog looks like an early type 9. Some of these will have a single patent date on the lateral lever.

The "S" on the lever cap is the mark of a type 7.

My #7 is a type 7 and works fine. Yours should work just as well once it has a sharp blade.

jtk

Stew Denton
01-30-2016, 4:34 PM
Steven,

It looks like you did well! It always seems like a good trade when you trade something you won't use for something that you will. Looks like a nice plane. Those vintage Stanley planes are good ones.

Stew

steven c newman
01-30-2016, 7:30 PM
Plane has been cleaned up. Have a replacement iron handy. There is one patent date on the lateral lever.

The stud for the depth adjuster wheel needed replaced, might need a new brass wheel, too. OEM has abused, it seems. out of round, and most of the knurling is gone. The htreads that went into the frog on it were almost stripped out. The one IN the frog are still good.

Instead of the usual two small pads for the frog to sit on, it is a bar across the width. Cleaned the junk off of it, frog sit nicely, now. wiped down all the japanning with an oily brush....cleaned the black right up.

Maybe tomorrow I can post a few more pics, ala "After" and maybe a shaving or two....

steven c newman
01-30-2016, 9:35 PM
Ok, got this old Battlewagon about ready to go..
Yep, it do cut....might need a touch-up on the edge..
Wood is White Oak. Needed to joint the face flat....this thing just MIGHT do that
And maybe a close up of that troublesome adjuster?
So, now the shop has TWO of these big fellows?
Fleet is in?
Kind of like that rosewood handled plane.....

steven c newman
01-30-2016, 11:44 PM
Have since ordered a "new" adjusting wheel. Might be here in about a week or so. The replacement iron came from a Stanley #28 Trans. Just the iron, as the chipbreakers do NOT match where the slot is. The #28 slot is about 1" higher up. Don't think that would quite work. Might have to expand the plane till.......ya think????

Glen Canaday
01-31-2016, 2:12 AM
I had a type 9 7C. The thing was cool. I ended up trading it and a type 9 5C, a Millers Falls 18C and a Millers Falls 22C for a type 1 Millers Falls 24 (the #8 size plane). I had to let go of 4 planes for the one, but I had to sacrifice something to get something back!

That type 9 7C is a great jointer. So much lighter than the others I have/had.

Patrick Chase
01-31-2016, 2:20 AM
Plane has been cleaned up. Have a replacement iron handy. There is one patent date on the lateral lever.

The stud for the depth adjuster wheel needed replaced, might need a new brass wheel, too. OEM has abused, it seems. out of round, and most of the knurling is gone. The htreads that went into the frog on it were almost stripped out. The one IN the frog are still good.

Instead of the usual two small pads for the frog to sit on, it is a bar across the width. Cleaned the junk off of it, frog sit nicely, now. wiped down all the japanning with an oily brush....cleaned the black right up.

Maybe tomorrow I can post a few more pics, ala "After" and maybe a shaving or two....

When you say that the frog seats on "a bar across the width", does it look like this (http://www.rexmill.com/planes101/typing/types/t8/3.jpg) with either an "S" or "B" behind it in the casting?

steven c newman
01-31-2016, 3:37 PM
I'd have to go and look. The seat for the frog, instead of two smaller pads, is just a single, full width pad. There is a rib coming out from the pad. Not much "arch" if any to it. this one was from before the frog adjust screw was added to the line up.

Will go and look for the Foundry marks later. Updated: A very badly worn "S" is between the frog's seat, and the patent markings

Jim Koepke
01-31-2016, 4:12 PM
There is a rib coming out from the pad. Not much "arch" if any to it. this one was from before the frog adjust screw was added to the line up.

This and the patent date on the lateral lever suggest to me it is an early type 9. A later frog, type 10 on, might work on this plane, but the frog from this plane isn't likely to fit well with a type 10 or later base.

jtk

steven c newman
01-31-2016, 9:35 PM
So, when did Stanley use that four line logo on their plane irons? The other No.7 had the Pat Apl 19 92 logo on it's iron. It seems to be either an 8 or 9, or a mix? The newest one was basically MINT other than the dust bunnies. "S" mark under the lever cap, and right behind the frog's seat. Back of chipbreaker was blued. The brass nuts for the handles are without the waist that came later. It might be a late T-7? Early T-8?

steven c newman
02-01-2016, 12:48 AM
Took a little bit better look at those two holes in the side of that plane (Portholes?) seems the threads are a "Normal" 5/16" by 18 thread. I might go looking for a couple thumbscrews to use with a fence. At least until I can "win" a normal fence for this Battlewagon of a plane. She is almost making full width, see-through shavings in that white oak, might need a little more honing, and a strop?

Patrick Chase
02-01-2016, 3:03 AM
This and the patent date on the lateral lever suggest to me it is an early type 9. A later frog, type 10 on, might work on this plane, but the frog from this plane isn't likely to fit well with a type 10 or later base.

jtk

It seems to be a mixed-type frankenplane, but the combination of features and the "S" (Sessions foundry) marking behind the frog seat makes the casting a Type 7. AFAIK they never used that marking in later types.

Jim Koepke
02-01-2016, 11:57 AM
She is almost making full width, see-through shavings in that white oak, might need a little more honing, and a strop?

Though I always like to make gossamer shavings with my planes, it is something I do not worry about as much with a jointer.

jtk

Jim Koepke
02-01-2016, 12:06 PM
It seems to be a mixed-type frankenplane, but the combination of features and the "S" (Sessions foundry) marking behind the frog seat makes the casting a Type 7. AFAIK they never used that marking in later types.

There are a few things to indicate a type 9, 1902-1907, this kind of seals the deal:

Type 7, 1893-1899, was before the 1902 patent dates, Bailey's name cast into the body, or the style frog on Steven's plane.

It also displays some of the indicators of being early in the type 9 era.

jtk

steven c newman
02-01-2016, 9:19 PM
As for those holes in the side? They are threaded as 5/16" by 18. Common enough size. Picked up a couple bolts at HD, had a couple washers on hand. Molested a bit of walnut scrap with a #78 rebate plane to add a rebate .
But it needs to be a hair deeper, to reach over to the mouth. Rounded the ends, and an oil finish
Rounded the ends to keep my fingers from getting caught.
Seems to work decently enough. Might get even better after the fine tuning?

HD did not have any Thumb screws, so these cap bolts will have to do, for now. Takes a 1/4" Allen wrench.
We'll see how it works out....
Takes a bit of getting used to, too.

Patrick Chase
02-01-2016, 11:41 PM
There are a few things to indicate a type 9, 1902-1907, this kind of seals the deal:

Type 7, 1893-1899, was before the 1902 patent dates, Bailey's name cast into the body, or the style frog on Steven's plane.

It also displays some of the indicators of being early in the type 9 era.

jtk

You're right of course. I've never heard of a type 9 with a Sessions foundry mark before, but the patent date clinches it as you say.

As many have pointed out the types are a post-facto classification scheme, not something Stanley created on purpose, so there's no reason to expect that real-world planes would conform perfectly.

Chris Hachet
02-02-2016, 7:25 AM
Right now I am using a #5, #6, and #8 to joint with deending on what I am jointing. I really could use a vintge Stanley #7...

If I can't wrestle one fo the #7's way from Steven I will ahve to go on another rust hunt with him. THe #6 he found me is fantastic......think I am in love!

Regards,

Chris

Chris Hachet
02-02-2016, 7:26 AM
Oh, and again....steve can find amazing things. I love the rosewood vintae Stanley sqaure that we found, for $3.50....dead square, using it quite regualrly in my shop.

The two Distons I found with Steven will both find good use as well.

Jim Koepke
02-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Nothing like having a good rust hunting buddy and a fulfilling hunting ground.

jtk